Author Topic: Rareplane goosebumps.  (Read 453 times)

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Rareplane goosebumps.
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:49:46 PM »
When you live near an airport you don't stop hearing planes but you do get so used to them that you generally don't notice unless something different than the usual traffic comes over.  A little bit ago I was driving when I heard something odd departing over me, unfamilliar prop sounds, I was suspecting something experimental.  I leaned over the steering wheel and looked up, the first thing I saw was a canard at the front, the second thing I noticed was a pair of pushers out back.  At this point I blurted out "Holy #@$%&*! $#!/" and almost crashed the car.  I can now check "see a Starship in flight" off the bucket list.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Rareplane goosebumps.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »
That is a rare sight. Only 53 of the Burt Rutan design were built against 246 of the Piaggio P.180 Avanti.

No idea how the initial cost of the 2 compared but the Avanti outstripped it in speed, range and interior room.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 11:22:02 PM »
They are a cool looking plane.

You will see Bob Scherers Starship at John Wayne every now and then. I think he is out of Colorado. He bought the remaining Starships for a parts inventory. Quite a few were scrapped in Marana, AZ. There are also two guys (brothers?) in Texas that each have one and have seen those sitting in Vegas. . . . .

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »
Same happened to me a few years back. I was hanging out at a look out just north of San Diego. Heard a really funny sounding airplane taking off and headed towards me, turned around and it was an Avanti. Those pushers are wicked cool.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 04:28:44 AM »
Me and Mrs did some shopping  near Stockholms's first commercial airport when I heard a very special sound.
it was a multi-engine piston roar.. goosebumps all over...

Of course my Wife told me I was nuts- first distinguish it from other motor sounds,- and secondly  promptly  leave her to do the shopping herself while I was out investigating.

It turned out to be a JU-52 visiting the airfield Bromma.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera