Author Topic: End of an era  (Read 1536 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
End of an era
« on: October 01, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »
Sold my last Saab 9-3 today.  I've owned this one for the last 10 years.   At one time, we had a 2006 9-3 Combi wagon, a 2007 9-3, and this 2003 9-3 at the same time.  I'm sure people think I had a screw loose, but all were equipped with manual transmissions, and all were great fun to drive.

This one is 18 yrs old with over 200,000 mi on it and still impressed the guy during this morning's test drive:

Man I loved that wooden steering wheel!    All things must end though.  With both of us retired now, we're going down to a single vehicle - its a HondaToyotaNissan SomethingOrOther AWD compact SUV.   Very useful vehicle, with lots of electronic gizmos, but no soul.  Built by robots not human beings.

:salute SAAB   Länge leve Sverige!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: End of an era
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 01:01:17 PM »
Saabism is a sickness as they say here...

Driving one may also be considered some sort of virtual flying - Svenska Aeroplan AktieBolag means Swedish Aeroplane Company Limited.

Let's see if the FAF considers buying a bunch of SAABs a better option than F35's or F-18's...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 02:16:17 PM »
You should've probably kept her.  She's paid off, works great, so unless maintenance was getting to you, it's always good to have a "backup" vehicle around just in case. :)

I still have my 2007 Pontiac G6 V6, and I ain't getting rid of her till something on her breaks that can't be replaced.  Course I don't drive her very often either, as she sits just under 55,000 miles. :D  But if something happens to my Mitsubishi Mirage G4, I have my Pontiac to go back on.  Beats dealing with the hassle of rental's as well, despite the insurance/Car Shield offering these. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 07:20:59 PM »
your car warranty is about to expire. pm for more details.

awesome car.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 03:01:12 AM »
Hate to say it, but Toyota is the better vehicle.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 04:15:31 AM »

I had a 900S in the 90s, at that time Toyota was concidered to be the worst car you could own when it came to corrosion, much owed to the fact that south Sweden salt their roads during winter time.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
I bought a Toyota Corolla new in 2007, my oldest son is still driving it.   I think it's got 180,000 miles on it now; it's been totaled due to hail damage but still running good.  No major mechanical problems with it, ever.   Hands down the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned.   That's got a stick too, and a really light-feeling car to drive compared to the Saabs.

Spare parts are starting to become a problem for Saab.  Our 2006 Combi fried it's ECU and the new part is on backorder, and the price was more than the value of the car.   So I decided to part with this one while it's still running well and worth something.   I think I underpriced it though, it sold the day the ad came out!

Was happy to be a Saaber for so long though.  I'm a mix of nationalities but more Swedish than anything else, and it just felt like a connection to my heritage.   Some distant cousin of mine may have worked on the line and helped build the car.

I had to see these car companies go under.  Saab, Pontiac (the G7 was a seriously cool looking car, and the G8, man I wanted to buy one at first sight).    I wish GM would've kept them both going.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 02:22:46 PM »
Are you going to order a Tesla?

:salute

Btw semp, seems like I get 1 or 2 warranty expired scam calls a day now.  They leave voicemail.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »
The first big car accident I was in was while I was a passenger in a high school friend's mid 80s Saab 900.  A first year model Chev Sprint blew a red and t boned us, hit right on my passenger door with its front bumper/corner.  It wasn't going all that fast - big dent where his bumper pushed in most of the passenger door.  His front end crumpled, even broke some of the motor mounts the insurance guy told us later.  Drove away in the Saab - Sprint was totaled.   Saab and Volvo made very tough cars back then IMO. 

Nice car Oboe, I dig it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 08:33:28 PM »
Yeah Carshield woudn't want us I'm sure.  I think they only go up to 150K on a vehicle. 

I think parents like Saabs/Volvos for children because of their reputation for safety.  Everybody who contacted me about the car  had it in mind for a son/daughter.  Good to see people still wanting to pass on the skill of driving a stick.  We bought this particular car for my son's college vehicle, but he went to school in Fargo/Moorehead area and preferred driving the Jeep in winter up there.  So this one became my baby.

We'll be a one car family for a while while I save $$, but I don't think I can reach Tesla level $$, even a used one.   I think I saw 5 or more Model 3s (and one Model S) on the roads around here today though.   I'm intrigued by electric cars (we had air quality warning days almost every day this past summer) but I haven't ever driven one.    I like the looks of a VW ID.4, and it comes with 3 years of free charging.   

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:13:41 PM »
Are you going to order a Tesla?

:salute

Btw semp, seems like I get 1 or 2 warranty expired scam calls a day now.  They leave voicemail.

they keep calling me, I tell them I dont have a car and they still call.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 01:25:07 AM »
Japanese cars do not break down
If one does someone in Japanese commits ritual suicide
German cars are over priced and come with a overpriced suit and excuse when they break down.
Fords are what they are you either get a good car or a nightmare.
The Americans have not produced a decent car in 40 years
Chrysler 300 i rest my case, designed by a child with a crayon :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 08:08:37 AM »
Japanese cars do not break down
If one does someone in Japanese commits ritual suicide
German cars are over priced and come with a overpriced suit and excuse when they break down.
Fords are what they are you either get a good car or a nightmare.
Chrysler 300 i rest my case, designed by a child with a crayon :old:

Don't stop now, Zack!  What about the Italians?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
mother in law still has hers oboe, she has 3 vehicles, incase 2 break down, but the Saab is the OG.   

When my Italian car is in the garage for it's annual f up I borrow it.   The bodywork will fall off before that engine dies.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 11:03:59 PM »

But before those 40 years, there were some real classics: