Author Topic: P-40B AVG, 3rd PS "Hell's Angels"  (Read 512 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
P-40B AVG, 3rd PS "Hell's Angels"
« on: October 04, 2021, 12:46:38 AM »
Curtiss H-81a (Tomahawk Mk. 1 / P-40B) flown by Charles Older of the AVG's 3rd Pursuit Squadron, "Hell's Angels". Older's aircraft is one of the best documented aircraft from the "Flying Tigers", with the best examples coming from a photo shoot of several 3rd PS aircraft in formation over China in 1942. That being said, I still discovered flaws in my original version of this skin, which I made in 2015. This is a complete redo to have a skin of higher quality and accuracy.

Charles Older joined the "Flying Tigers" after resigning his commission in the U.S. Marine Corps. He achieved 10.25 confirmed victories before the "Flying Tigers" was disestablished in July 1942. He returned to China in 1944 as part of the 23rd Fighter Group and added another 8 victories over the Japanese. After the war, Older earned a law degree and eventually became a Superior Judge in California - entering the national spotlight again in the 1970's when he presided over the murder trial of Charles Manson.

Older's P-40 featured full unit markings with a Flying Tiger and Hell's Angel painted on each side of the aircraft. The shark's mouth was originally painted with light blue in the upper mouth, but seems to have worn mostly away by June 42. My original skin had no blue in the mouth, but I elected to include it in this rendition, although I used full coverage as the 3D model struggles to handle detail in the area under the nose. Photos taken at an earlier point show this paint in a much more fresh state. Another unusual feature not included in my original was the fact that Older's plane had a single Chinese insignia on the upper wings, on the port side. This was in light blue, whereas the underside featured insignias on both wings in dark blue. Heavy fuel and oil staining is seen aft of the cockpit, I imagine the tanks can't handle inverted flight as this is commonly seen on all AVG P-40's - Older's plane heavier than most. 

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-40B AVG, 3rd PS "Hell's Angels"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:56:42 AM »
 :aok

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:47:56 AM »
very nice
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 03:15:59 AM »
Great skin Devil.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 06:20:12 AM »
Excellent redo and beautiful skin, Devil505. :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 08:04:35 AM »
Man I'm running out of superlatives to describe your skins.   Really impressed with the weathering (you've found a way too avoid the loss of detail I experienced with the B-17G) especially the underside grime and dirt buildup aft of the wheel wells.   Absolutely first rate stuff.

And Charles Older?   No wonder we refer to these guys as the Greatest Generation.

<S>

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 08:28:51 AM »
Man I'm running out of superlatives to describe your skins.   Really impressed with the weathering (you've found a way too avoid the loss of detail I experienced with the B-17G) especially the underside grime and dirt buildup aft of the wheel wells.   Absolutely first rate stuff.

And Charles Older?   No wonder we refer to these guys as the Greatest Generation.

<S>
Thanks.

The loss of detail is still there, just like your B-17, You can really see it on the wing top on the outboard half. But it looks natural because of all the weathering effects I use. This skin has 25 layers of various weathering with most being effects with less than 10% opacity. The way these layers interplay makes those areas where the game engine equalizes the colors very small and still randomly shaped. The result still looks like natural weathering.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »
 :rock
Another great looking skin.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »
Really fabulous.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 08:17:49 AM »
Great work! Always thought Older's story was amazing.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 02:18:37 PM »
Going to have to fly this in the MA, to good to sit in the hanger.