Author Topic: Email Notifications  (Read 903 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Email Notifications
« on: October 10, 2021, 06:34:40 AM »
Hello,

It would be a nice feature to get an email on certain user-definable events such as:
  • The number of players in the game is above a certain number.
  • A particular squad has n numbers on.
  • Strats for a country are down to n%.
  • or even if a particular player is both in-game and in-flight.

Thank you,

X15  :salute

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 06:37:53 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Email Notifications
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 09:27:31 AM »
Pretty interesting.....

Instead of email alerts,  I think a text message notification would be much better and quicker....

I  myself yes...have my dumbphone set to notify me when I get pm's via locked screen alerts and sounds individual for each notification

Same with text messages and certain type messages alert me in different ways, etc

+1

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »
Sounds like a weiner.

+2

Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »
it would quickly be marked as spam.  you really want to get 10 or 15 emails everyday?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »
it would quickly be marked as spam.  you really want to get 10 or 15 emails everyday?

semp

Yes HTC has experienced this in the past when all the CMs, Training Corps, AvA Staff  had emails through HTC  like

TequilaChaser@hitechcreations.com ... TequilaChaser@flyaceshigh.com etc....

The notifications/ emails were discontinued due to kickback/ spam stuff...

Is why I made my earlier suggestion

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:04:01 AM »

semp

Meh, some people don't mind if it's for something they like. I'd love to get a newsletter once a month or something.

Would show some activity with game and may even entice older players to resub. Who cares if they think one email is spam. It ain't gonna hurt nobody. I think its a missed opportunity IMO. So many other businesses do it.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 01:41:25 PM »
Meh, some people don't mind if it's for something they like. I'd love to get a newsletter once a month or something.

Would show some activity with game and may even entice older players to resub. Who cares if they think one email is spam. It ain't gonna hurt nobody. I think its a missed opportunity IMO. So many other businesses do it.

aces high got labeled as spam many years ago, see a couple of posts up.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 03:48:53 PM »

Years ago we had the "Furball" news letter. It was put together by a number of players and they would mail them out once a month I think. Funny things that happened in the game, interviews with some of the top players at the time picking their brains about flying/fighting. Jokes, tips, and training, was fun reading. I looked forward to it each month.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 04:43:05 PM »
Thanks all. 

Going to a phone message is a great option too.   :aok

It would be good to allow folks to set parameters in their account as to if they want messages or not.  Also which types of messages the server would send.

Even so, in most modern email\messengers it is easy to filter what you do and don't want.

Thank you. :salute

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 06:51:07 AM »
No text, emails or phone calls for me please ...get too many now

I will check this bbs for special events

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 07:58:26 AM »
No text, emails or phone calls for me please ...get too many now

Yep. Set default to: DISABLED for emails.

But for those that see value in knowing if there are enough numbers in-game to even log in (and all other alerts possible) way cool and useful.  :aok
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »
I think it'd be cool to have an Android or iOS app (or both) that scrape information from the "Country Status" section of the clipboard - you'd have a great picture of what's going on in the game. 

I'd also like it to include a small image of the terrain that's in use, and the in-game time of day.