Author Topic: Interpreting the map  (Read 2490 times)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Interpreting the map
« on: October 16, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Let me start by saying that I'm learning and still enjoying the learning experience of AH.  I'm pretty good at interpreting the icons on arena maps, but... at random places both online and offline, I see red 'bars,' as if someone used a red highlighter.  I have no idea that that means.

Also, I'm not sure what a flashing field icon means? If it means a field is under attach, that would make sense.  That's just a guess, though.

Of course, I don't really need to know this, but I have this new toy and I'm trying to figure out what all it does. 

I appreciate your patience.  Albert Einstein said, "The difference between genius and ignorance is that genius has its limits."

Thanks in advance,

Decoy
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Re: Interpreting the map
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »
Glad you having fun.  Keep asking questions. 

The red and green highlighter bars (dar bars) indicate there are enemy (red) and/or friendly (green) aircraft in that sector.  The size of the dar bars indicates relative numbers of aircraft anywhere in that sector. 

A flashing field means that an enemy aircraft is within the radar ring.  If the dar is down, you won't see the contact on radar, but you will see that there is a dar bar in that sector.  If there isn't a dar bar, then the flashing is probably caused by an enemy gv that spawned nearby. 

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 02:37:17 PM »
Thanks so much, Gooss
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 05:52:19 AM »
Depending on what flashes first on a base gives you an idea of which way the bad guys might be coming from

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »
Also, if you right-click on a base in the map view, you will see a list of map features that can be turned on/off to provide more information or to reduce map clutter. 

Below the list there are other information features that you can show:

Country Status shows how many bases each country owns to see who is "winning" the map.

(Base number) Down Times shows a list of base assets that have been destroyed and the time left until they are automatically restored.  It can be useful to check those Down Times to see if a flashing friendly base is in need of urgent defense or resupply, or to see the current condition of an enemy base you might want to attack.

(Base number) Status shows the general condition of assets at that base and overall condition of assets for the country that owns the base.

Net Status show the quality of your connection the game server.  If you see another player's plane jumping around you can check to see if the problem is your connect or his.

Clipboard Maps opens a window that enables display of maps showing the locations of assets for each type of field:  small, medium, etc.  Useful to check when you are planning an attack.

Welcome to the game.   :salute

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 10:22:49 AM »
Very good explanations, gentlemen.  I would add one small detail.  If you are in a sector by yourself, you won't see a green dar bar.  The green dar bars on your map will only show if you have teammates in the sector.  The other team will see a red dar bar for your plane.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »
I appreciate all the good advice.  Currently, while flying online, I'm providing cannon fodder for other pilots.  This is similar to my early experience in Warbirds, so I know that as my skill set increases, so will my in-game longevity.

The big problem for me, vis a vis the map, is that I have a hard time locating the fields by field number.  Even with the field names switched on, when someone suggests 'help at XX' in the radio buffer, the crisis is generally over before I can locate the field on the map, much less fly there and be of any assistance.  I flew warbirds from 99-01, and have been back flying there since July of last year, and locating fields by their number has always been problematic.

Having said all that, everything about Aces High is vastly superior to Warbirds, except for those pilots who aren't ashamed of a runway kill.  But, I figure if that's the best they can do, it might as well be me they get.  It's not as if I'm doing a whole lot of damage once I'm in the air.

I guess that sounds defeatist, but it's not.  I know it takes a while to learn a game's strategy as well as its aircraft, and strategy is a much bigger factor in Aces High.

Decoay

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »
You can move directly to a field by typing ( .move xx ) only type in the number of the field not the A, or V.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »
I appreciate all the good advice.  Currently, while flying online, I'm providing cannon fodder for other pilots.  This is similar to my early experience in Warbirds, so I know that as my skill set increases, so will my in-game longevity.

The big problem for me, vis a vis the map, is that I have a hard time locating the fields by field number.  Even with the field names switched on, when someone suggests 'help at XX' in the radio buffer, the crisis is generally over before I can locate the field on the map, much less fly there and be of any assistance.  I flew warbirds from 99-01, and have been back flying there since July of last year, and locating fields by their number has always been problematic.

Having said all that, everything about Aces High is vastly superior to Warbirds, except for those pilots who aren't ashamed of a runway kill.  But, I figure if that's the best they can do, it might as well be me they get.  It's not as if I'm doing a whole lot of damage once I'm in the air.

I guess that sounds defeatist, but it's not.  I know it takes a while to learn a game's strategy as well as its aircraft, and strategy is a much bigger factor in Aces High.

Decoay

If you look over the field layouts you'll see most of the maps follow a pattern. 56 is to the left of 57 and 58 and so on in line. So pick a base number and scan back and forth in line to get up to the number your looking for. After a few years you start to remember where all the bases are   :D

Here is a site I put together of a bunch of information I found and saved about the game. "Aces Help Page"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »
The big problem for me, vis a vis the map, is that I have a hard time locating the fields by field number.

Type the dot command '.sf XX' into the text buffer with map up, XX being the field number. The map will center on that base.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 01:29:15 PM »

Type the dot command '.sf XX' into the text buffer with map up, XX being the field number. The map will center on that base.

I thought Hitech added a dot command for that, but I couldnt find it any where.   :aok

Added to the dot commands list on my site.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:36:24 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 02:24:36 PM »

The big problem for me, vis a vis the map, is that I have a hard time locating the fields by field number. 

zoom in using the Insert /Delete key until you get the map numbers

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »
Been in ah for 20 years and still have an issue locating bases by number as they didn't seem to follow any pattern....about remembering them after a couple of years..lol...not this old man

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 03:15:10 PM »
although GV's has been mentioned... The dar for a GV icon is a more washed out red and can be anywhere in the sector if you are in range of it... the more solid bars in top left of a sector are aircons

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 04:12:22 PM »

There's a quick solution, which I found.  One clipboard choose war status and scroll down to the field in question.  Click on the field and icon on the map turns white.  One advantage of flying a bomber is it gives you plenty of time to explore crap like that.

Decoy