Author Topic: Windows 11 ... who's downloaded it?  (Read 2283 times)

Online Max

• Platinum Member
Windows 11 ... who's downloaded it?
« on: October 21, 2021, 08:08:02 AM »
Windows updates informs me that Win 11 is available for immediate download. Thought I'd ask if anyone's done so yet and if there were any glitches to be aware of. Thanks.  :pray :salute

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Windows 11 ... who's downloaded it?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
I've got it on a laptop at home. I haven't used it much but haven't run into any problems. I don't expect there to be many issues, but I'm also not in a rush to put it onto any of my computers I use daily.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
Windows Update on my computer tells that "This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11..." . After some update it even says it in English, I recall the first announcement having been in Finnish. Anyhow, I wonder if this system will ever meet the requirements so I haven't bothered to run the troubleshooter to find out what I could do. After all hardware changes to make this system compatible "this PC" would be a totally different one! But it's not the first time that Microsoft leaves a back door or three open. Being vague enough may have saved them from many lawsuits!

Guess I'll wait for another four years until 11 has matured to the same stage where 10 is now.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »
Does it tell you why? Originally my laptop said the same, but after I did Windows 10 updates it allowed me to go to 11.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:07:28 AM »
No it doesn't. For what I've read elsewhere the requirement would be an Intel i#-8###, the 8th gen. processor or the AMD equivalent. Mine is a 4th gen i7 so I thought I'd let it be. But now you've made me curious, guess I'll run the troubleshooter!

Update: I downloaded and ran the Health Check program and it had two yellow balls marked ! and one red with an X. The exclamation marks were: First I'd have to enable Secure Boot in the Bios settings - don't know if it's possible with this motherboard... Second, TPM 2.0 should be supported and activated, in the comment it read that no TPM was found! And finally the X in the red ball: The CPU isn't currently supported. Looking at the list of supported processors I found out that the 5th generation is supported so I'm only one gen. behind! So they seem to want older computers upgraded as well.

Thanks, something new learned... Yet I'll stick with 10 for at least some years.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:21:20 AM by Bizman »
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »
The laptop I have it installed on has a 6th Gen. It originally told me no-go because I didn't have TPM 2.0, but after the updates it let it go even though the laptop only has TPM 1.2. I know there was some backlash surrounding that requirement and there were some TPM workarounds, but I didn't have to do any of that...it just worked, strangely.

FlyKommando.com

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
      • http://yankeeairmuseum.org
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
Check for firmware updates too.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »
I updated my main machine just to see how everything looks. All I had to do was turn on TPM. Smooth as silk upgrading and it allows you 10 days to go back if you want to. Other than that... not much to really upgrade for at this point. Looks are a little different. A couple of things are gone that were in 10. More things supporting gaming.

If you can't run 11 it is not anything to go run down and buy a computer over. Windows 10 will be supported for quite awhile still. You really are not missing anything.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 01:25:25 AM »
If you can't run 11 it is not anything to go run down and buy a computer over. Windows 10 will be supported for quite awhile still. You really are not missing anything.
Exactly my point.

For those who don't know, Microsoft has a three stage testing program for their software: First there's Alpha which is done by MS people. Second there's Beta which allows enthuastic users participate in the development process. And finally, there's Release with a lot of hype and persuation, including the built-in phone home systems trying to tell MS whether the new system works or not in a particular setup of hardware. Early adopters are free guinea pigs.

Kotisivuni

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 07:07:02 AM »
Despite running the Microsoft software that determines if your rig is Win 11 compatible, and getting a go, the OS failed to install do to a missing current driver named CFosSpeed. It appears anyone with ASUS or MSI mobos are having issues.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 07:23:54 AM »
Exactly my point.

For those who don't know, Microsoft has a three stage testing program for their software: First there's Alpha which is done by MS people. Second there's Beta which allows enthuastic users participate in the development process. And finally, there's Release with a lot of hype and persuation, including the built-in phone home systems trying to tell MS whether the new system works or not in a particular setup of hardware. Early adopters are free guinea pigs.
Well that's how any software development generally works. There is no way to test every single hardware configuration besides releasing it to the masses and doing hotfixes.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wildin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 07:27:10 AM »
Got it no problems, Windows Insider program.

i9-10850k@4.7GHz RTX3080

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
Well that's how any software development generally works. There is no way to test every single hardware configuration besides releasing it to the masses and doing hotfixes.
Tru dat, however there's not many as widespread software as Windows is.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
Got it no problems, Windows Insider program.

i9-10850k@4.7GHz RTX3080

Well here is a typical setup to judge all others against...lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 10:11:54 AM »
From past experience every second Windoze version is bad.
Plus one should never Betatest such kind of software upon release, wait for the first Servicepack to fix the most apparent issues.