Author Topic: Combat Challenge XXXVII - 10/29  (Read 1282 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Combat Challenge XXXVII - 10/29
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
Combat Challenge XXXVII will take place this Friday, Oct. 29 at 11 PM Eastern (Normal FSO time). Our theater will be the Mediterranean and will back it up to the early days. Please come out and enjoy some of the best fights you will have this month!

:airplane:
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Combat Challenge XXXVII - 10/29
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 09:51:48 AM »
Thoughts about last night.

Well, unfortunately things got off go a rockey start with the ENY. It caused a lot of guys to log off early. Which is kinda lame honestly. It didn't take too long to fix the issue plus the 110s vs p40fs was kinda fun.

The 1000k airspawns actually worked quite well, IMO.

The main issue I saw was the puff ack for the axis was way too far out. I got drilled close to the sector line twice and allies were constantly fighting in ack the whole night.

The axis were ack hugging the entire night to get alt. This was a big issue for me. While I think 1K spawns are great, it kind of defeats the purpose if the teams are going to turn sideways so they can climb to 15k before they enter the fray. Not sure how this can be enforced, but the axis were staying back all night making it very difficult not to get ganged while also flying in a gazillion rounds of puff ack. I don't believe the axis was getting pushed back either. This seemed to be a strategy of some sort, which worked I guess if you look at the overall kills/deaths per each side. In some cases, yes, a team can get pushed back, but we were dead even teams in relatively equal performing planes, though we could have used the D25 for a tad more speed against the C205s. Normally it's the axis pushing the allied back when allied starts low. Instead it was allied getting clobbered by gangs and ack as they stayed back. I dont think most of the axis ever crossed the sector like until about 12:30 TBH. That was really my biggest issue.

All in all, probably not the best CC we've ever had. The fights were still pretty fun though and was still better than the fights in the MA. Still glad we are able to have this event as I think its one of the most fun events.

:salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »
While I think 1K spawns are great, it kind of defeats the purpose if the teams are going to turn sideways so they can climb to 15k before they enter the fray. Not sure how this can be enforced

It can be enforced with a 100 MPH downdraft at 10k.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »

I like that idea.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Mako-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
Some of the fun action in this chaotic event of furball'n

One of the best times this game provides

Mako

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
Some footage from the Allied side here :), what fun that was!

Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 09:44:30 PM »
DLO was waxin some arses last night.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
Thoughts about last night.

Well, unfortunately things got off go a rockey start with the ENY. It caused a lot of guys to log off early. Which is kinda lame honestly. It didn't take too long to fix the issue plus the 110s vs p40fs was kinda fun.

The 1000k airspawns actually worked quite well, IMO.

The main issue I saw was the puff ack for the axis was way too far out. I got drilled close to the sector line twice and allies were constantly fighting in ack the whole night.

The axis were ack hugging the entire night to get alt. This was a big issue for me. While I think 1K spawns are great, it kind of defeats the purpose if the teams are going to turn sideways so they can climb to 15k before they enter the fray. Not sure how this can be enforced, but the axis were staying back all night making it very difficult not to get ganged while also flying in a gazillion rounds of puff ack. I don't believe the axis was getting pushed back either. This seemed to be a strategy of some sort, which worked I guess if you look at the overall kills/deaths per each side. In some cases, yes, a team can get pushed back, but we were dead even teams in relatively equal performing planes, though we could have used the D25 for a tad more speed against the C205s. Normally it's the axis pushing the allied back when allied starts low. Instead it was allied getting clobbered by gangs and ack as they stayed back. I dont think most of the axis ever crossed the sector like until about 12:30 TBH. That was really my biggest issue.

All in all, probably not the best CC we've ever had. The fights were still pretty fun though and was still better than the fights in the MA. Still glad we are able to have this event as I think its one of the most fun events.

Appreciate the feedback and it was certainly something I was thinking about.

I've wanted to try 1K spawns for a while and this early war turny setup seemed like the perfect chance to do it. In hindsight, I think it would be best to do 1K and a 5K downdraft, or for other events, 5K spawn and 10K downdraft. Obviously we want to encourage fighting and not BnZing as you can just go to the MA for that.

As for the hiccups during the event, that's on me and I apologize. It's been years since I've setup and run an arena and I had to do it in a pinch, so I forgot about some settings. I hope we didn't lose too many folks and perhaps they came back after it was fixed. We had good numbers til the very end with a 12v12ish fight going on.

Thanks to everyone who flew and enjoyed the event, you are the guys that keep us going every time we do these! :salute
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 08:12:20 AM »
Sorry Dark Wood but I owed DLO twice unfortunately. Here's my proof.  :rofl
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 08:29:18 PM »
DLO had 12 kills
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
Appreciate the feedback and it was certainly something I was thinking about.

I've wanted to try 1K spawns for a while and this early war turny setup seemed like the perfect chance to do it. In hindsight, I think it would be best to do 1K and a 5K downdraft, or for other events, 5K spawn and 10K downdraft. Obviously we want to encourage fighting and not BnZing as you can just go to the MA for that.

As for the hiccups during the event, that's on me and I apologize. It's been years since I've setup and run an arena and I had to do it in a pinch, so I forgot about some settings. I hope we didn't lose too many folks and perhaps they came back after it was fixed. We had good numbers til the very end with a 12v12ish fight going on.

Thanks to everyone who flew and enjoyed the event, you are the guys that keep us going every time we do these! :salute

I think the 5k downdraft might be a little low. Perhaps for 1k airspawns, an 8k down draft used, and for 5k spawns, a 12k downdraft. This would allow players to get some alt using that style of plane to its advantage which is fair, IMO. Some planes like a P47 for example need to be able to have some energy to compete in this type of fight. They could easily get that high on the climb to the fight. This would allow certain planes to behold their advantage, but would prevent planes from going sideways to get 15k with their pals to always "be the highest" mentality.

In all situations I've mostly seen in combat challenge, the fights always end up on the deck, infact you are probably getting less kills by only staying high. That being said, some planes that are BnZ style shouldn't be totally disadvantaged. It pains me to say that, but if you make the cap too low, I'm sure you will be hearing from those peeps aswell.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:30:32 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 08:30:00 PM »
DLO had 12 kills
I shot him down twice and I had 14
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"