Author Topic: Hotas Advice please  (Read 804 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Hotas Advice please
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
So I'm really close to finally having new cable internet connection and am looking to upgrade from the 20 year old sidewinder to a hotas with pedals.

The price range I'm looking at seems like the two best options would be either the TM 16000 flight pack with stick, throttle and pedals or for the same price the Saitek X56 Rhino which would not include pedals.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with either setup and could swing my decision in the right direction. I'm leaning heavily towards the TM 16000 just because it comes with pedals.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Hotas Advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 01:12:59 PM »
I use an X52 Pro personally. Used an X52 for the longest time and the Pro seemed like the logical choice when needing to get a new set. The X56's layout seemed a little too spacey to me, but it certainly looks nice, just a lot of money. I picked up my X52 Pro on /r/hardwareswap for like 80 bucks like-new.

Never used pedals so can't help you there. Lots of people seem to like the T16000M, though it looks kinda cheap to me.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
I among a bunch of friends have the T16000m stick and we think it's great for the price. Accurate and comfortable and also durable if you're light handed and don't use the twisty. A couple also have the throttle and by their comments it's very good. Can't remember if anyone has the TM pedals but for what I've read they do the job (I bought Saitek pedals before getting the current stick). I suppose they're accurate enough to keep you on the runway during takeoff but if you really know how to fly a plane they may not be more accurate than a twisty stick. But they'll take some load off your right hand and keep the stick alive longer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:15:07 PM »
I use an X52 Pro personally. Used an X52 for the longest time and the Pro seemed like the logical choice when needing to get a new set. The X56's layout seemed a little too spacey to me, but it certainly looks nice, just a lot of money. I picked up my X52 Pro on /r/hardwareswap for like 80 bucks like-new.

Never used pedals so can't help you there. Lots of people seem to like the T16000M, though it looks kinda cheap to me.

I've been using the X52 for many years.  Only problem I had was the Z Axiz spiking, so I did end up getting rudder pedals and just locking out the twisty.
Still very happy with the ol' girl.  (used a 3d pro Prior to that.  Very solid stick.)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 03:57:41 PM »
Had a x52Pro made by Logitech for about 6 months before it was spiking on multiple axes. Before that I had a X52 from Saitek that lasted years, not that they were the highest standard of quality but it has dropped off since Logitech took over. Went all in on VKB and Virpil to avoid poor quality issues.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »
I use the X56 from Logitech, I love it. Been using it since they came out, the first one was by Saitek, they were acquired by Logitech when Saitek went out of business. I also use a set of CH pedals, love them also. I have had to replace the pots on the pedals, but it was pretty easy. The pots are available from Digi-key.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 04:43:51 PM »
So I'm really close to finally having new cable internet connection and am looking to upgrade from the 20 year old sidewinder to a hotas with pedals.

The price range I'm looking at seems like the two best options would be either the TM 16000 flight pack with stick, throttle and pedals or for the same price the Saitek X56 Rhino which would not include pedals.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with either setup and could swing my decision in the right direction. I'm leaning heavily towards the TM 16000 just because it comes with pedals.

I have the T16000 and I love it
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »
I had the X56 and about 6 months in I started having issue with some of the button. Switched to a warthog and have been fine since. I used a TM16000 as my back up stick for a few months until I got the Warthog and had no issue at all with it. I have since given it to MARK4 and he has been using it for the las couple of years with out issues.

From what Ive read the TM throttle has an upgrade kit available to make it have a detent or remove the detent. Ive also read the pedals are good but have no info on longevity

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »
I used the jstick and think its good for the price.  Upgraded to a warthog a bit back.

Still use the throttle with ch peds

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to settle for the t16000 flight pack for now. Would love a warthog but i'm thinking I can get hotas, pedals and an oculus for the same price as a warthog stick. So that will have to do for now.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 08:53:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to settle for the t16000 flight pack for now. Would love a warthog but i'm thinking I can get hotas, pedals and an oculus for the same price as a warthog stick. So that will have to do for now.

:aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 09:05:30 PM »
I cut my sim teeth on the old Thrustmaster pedals.  Some have found the new Thrustmaster pedals a little narrow; if you find that to be true here's a mod a guy did to widen the space between them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/g1csdb/just_finished_my_thrustmaster_t_flight_rudder/

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »

Warthog is a nice grip and throttle but the stick base is crap long term which is likely why they finally started selling replacements.
If you decide to upgrade later get a nice stick with steel parts in the base. It will work perfectly and last forever. I have a Virpil T-50 base for my Warthog stick and it's been great.