Author Topic: 2007 Redeux?  (Read 11229 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: 2007 Redeux?
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2021, 02:41:25 PM »
It's a giant shell game..nothing more

Well it should be criminal at this point...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2021, 03:55:50 PM »

4.  The bank then has excess reserves they can lend out for profit or buy assets, thus injecting that magically created digital money into the economy.

What about fractional reserve banking?

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »
What about fractional reserve banking?

Yeah, sorry.  See my edit. 

This is good description of fractional: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/081415/understanding-how-federal-reserve-creates-money.asp
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »
Wholesale inflation almost 10% already?????  I wasn't expecting that until mid-2022.

Offff.  Fed got complacent and fell asleep at the wheel.  Good luck stopping a freight train once it's got a head of steam up.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2021, 07:07:46 AM »
Inflation is another rigged benchmark where the goal posts are moved by just changing the what's in the basket of goods that are tracked for it

If they says its 10 it is probably closer to 15 or higher

More government bs for those that don't think past the evening news ..

And as they use this manipulated figure in their financial decisions..it is just another shell to look under

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2021, 07:14:40 AM »
I think shadow stats was showing 15% using the old way of calculating.

I'm thinking to buy everything I could possibly need for the next 5 years on credit so that my credit payment as say 9% will be a wash with 10% or more inflation.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2021, 08:48:55 AM »
I think shadow stats was showing 15% using the old way of calculating.

Yeah, they play ridiculous games with the inflation estimates.  The whole substitution scam.  If the basket used to have ribeye stakes but now they are too expensive to buy they say you can substitute less expensive ground rat meat with A1 sauce and so there is no change to standard of living so no change in inflation.  If the CPI basket had ribeye in 1980, then it should have ribeye in 2021.  Otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges and continually lowing the standard of living is not the same as no inflation.  Inflation is not being able to maintain the same standard of living for the same amount of money.

I'm thinking to buy everything I could possibly need for the next 5 years on credit so that my credit payment as say 9% will be a wash with 10% or more inflation.

Heh.  A perfectly reasonable reaction.  But you realize it is exactly the inflationary psychology that the the Fed is afraid will spread, because it makes inflation self-reinforcing.  That's one of the big reasons they try so hard to hide the real inflation numbers from the public.   :D 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/inflationarypsychology.asp
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:53:02 AM by CptTrips »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »
CPI is called CP Lie by many for good reason

Eagler

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »
Heh.  A perfectly reasonable reaction.  But you realize it is exactly the inflationary psychology that the the Fed is afraid will spread, because it makes inflation self-reinforcing.  That's one of the big reasons they try so hard to hide the real inflation numbers from the public.   :D 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/inflationarypsychology.asp

Right. I'm just want to get a head start on everybody else.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2022, 03:06:29 PM »

Happy New Year everyone.  I expect 2022 to get a little sporty.  :uhoh

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/05/fed-minutes-december-2021.html

Some analysts think the first hike may be 0.5%.   

:rofl  I will buy Powell a bottle if he has the minerals to pull THAT trigger.  He'll need a drink.   :cool:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2022, 07:38:13 AM »
They are talking about printing more $$$ out of thin air and giving it to restaurants now...

I don't think they understand the issue .... it's all about politics and keeping the power to them

If our representatives weren't treated as royalty maybe they would understand the problems average Joe is experiencing with their economy killing policies

Eagler

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »
Contemplating this chart this morning...

The X-Axis NMC/GVA is just a more technical, slightly more accurate version of the Buffett Indicator ratio.  But they are both telling the same story. 

1.0-1.2 is reasonable historically.  Higher that that and you are not likely to see real returns above average inflation over the subsequent 10-12 years.

This chart suggest that 12 years from now, the stock valuations will still be -6% lower than they are today.  One scenario is the market doesn't crash but slowly declines 6% over the next 12 years.  I think that scenario is highly unlikely.  Todays investors are nuts, but they are greedy and nuts.  In that scenario they would have gotten out way before that.  If they can.  An a slow gradual decline gives them that flexibility.  They aren't going to sit and hold slowly declining risk assets for a decade without losing patience.  They'll take a bit of a trim, but they can make that up by getting their principle out and into better earning assets.

What historically happens is a massive and quick crash occurs (when the smart-money decided the game is no longer worth the candle).  Joe retail investor dollar-cost-averaging is paycheck into the market like he is told to, never selling, like he is told not to, ends up being the bag-holder.  Goldman-Sachs can't get their money out without the retail bag-holders willing to buy at these levels.  Stocks don't sell to themselves.  There has to be a bag-holder for smart-money to get out at the top.  bag-holders are NOT immoral or stupid.  They are just average folks who DCA their checks while raising kids and living their life.  They don't obsess over this stuff and don't see it coming and CNBC will never tell them.  CNBC will only ever tell you to keep buying and never sell.  Once the crash happens, bag-holders are stuck.  They can't sell without locking in their 60% loss.  But if they don't, their investment is locked for 12+ years , or until they can get to some level of loss they can stomach.  After that crash the market will start to claw it's way back, but 12 years from now might not have year gotten back to where it started.  The NASDAQ took 15 years to recover from 2001.  But after the initial crash, there are good invests for new money in those remain 10 years.  You just don't want to be a bag-holder for Goldman-Sachs.  The market in aggregate won't be back up to these levels in 12 years, but they will be up quite a bit from the low point after the initial crash.

If they are young enough (20-30yo), they can still work and put new money in the market after the crash (2 years?) at the point that the market reaches reasonable levels and starts to rise again, hopefully at more reasonable and sustainable rate.  They'll still have decades to make up the difference.  Retirees or Near-Retirees are screwed. 

Goldman-Sachs will still payout record bonuses those years.  Even if they get caught flat-footed (and they won't), they have high speed trading systems that will get their sell orders in front-loaded ahead of any retail investors sell off.

There is a reason Buffett is sitting on his largest pile of un-invested cash in Berkshire's history.  He may look like he is grinning like a baby, but that is really just a gator licking his chops.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:32:45 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2022, 04:17:56 PM »
Contemplating this chart this morning...

I love Hussman charts.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2022, 05:23:09 PM »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:32:32 PM by Eagler »

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
I love Hussman charts.

I have a love/hate relationship with them.  ;)

I love their elegance and how well thought out his data is.  I hate what they tell me is coming.  But I've reach the acceptance stage of grief.  I can find no flaw in his arguments.  His only failing was to be too early.  He was the guy freezing in the lifeboat from the second after the Titanic hit the iceberg.    He isn't wrong, but he could have stayed in the bar and enjoyed another port and cigar first.  But he is still going to be better off than the others.  When their nads hit that cold water they will realize it is better to be years early than a second late. 

I spent a couple of years analyzing them and trying to figure how he had it wrong.  At this moment in time, I think he is dead right and will be one you read about later like Michael Burry in 2008.  Though it's amazing how much hate he gets.  If he is wrong, then he is wrong.  I think people hate him because he is right and they don't want to hear it, but can't find the math to prove he is wrong.   People hate being told what they don't want to hear by someone that won't be shouted down into going along with the crowd-think.  Being early (as he readily admits) did hurt his half-cycle performance.  But don't count the chips until the dealin is done.  Lets measure after the full cycle has completed.

(NOT INVESTING ADVICE)  I couldn't take it anymore.  I pulled out to cash last week.  I am going to take a limited portion of fun-money and seek some Alpha.  Gotta play da game, yo.
 I'm thinking gold mining (maaaaaybe some silver too) and some HSGFX.  I think Hussman is currently deeply under-valued ;) and he has some short position to maybe earn off the collapse.  I'm too scared to dabble in that stuff with my own hands.  I don't have time to learn at this point.  I'd only hurt myself.  ;)

After the crash,  I'll do some copper, agriculture etf.  As a techie, I've been researching block-chain the last couple of months.  No way you are convincing me that Bitcoin is a currency (not to say governments won't produce their own crypto, but that will have official backing), but that doesn't mean that block-chain tokens don't have some value.  Just not at these levels.  After they have lost 90% value I might buy some like a lotto ticket.  I don't know what they might eventually get used for, but like raw unimproved land, it is a finite asset.  There are uses it COULD be put to, but highly speculative.  Not quite as bad as a lotto ticket, but I'll buy some at an appropriate price just for fun.

Eventually after enough stock brokers have jumped off enough buildings it will be time to buy some total market index.  But only after everyone has lost all hope.  :evil:

But I can see no other assets I like the smell of right now.  Bonds?  Nope.  Real estate? Nope.  Housing?  Nope.  Emerging markets?  Nope.  Guns and ammo?  Hmmmm.  Nah.  Already over-weighted there.   :rofl

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:39:20 PM by CptTrips »