Author Topic: High YO YO vertical turns  (Read 965 times)

Offline Orbitson

• Copper Member
High YO YO vertical turns
« on: November 26, 2021, 02:44:32 PM »
Ryno posted this in June 2013:

I've been saving and reviewing films lately, especially anytime I (luckily) make a nice snap-shot, for a squad gunnery course we're doing.  In reviewing a recent film of a snap shot (with trails on), I stumbled across what looked like a nice example of a big vertical turn (very high yo yo) intersecting a tight flat turn circle, and really demonstrating the "egg over the circle" concept. 

Here are two screenshots of it.  I filled in what trails didn't show in the screenshot and added some reference points.  Rather than just share it with my squad, I thought I'd post it here for the whole AH community.  This is likely redundant for anyone who's done training, watched ACM films or read Shaw, but if it proves helpful to anyone, then great.

I also made a 45 second AH film file of this, but I don't feel right posting it here in the public forum without the other pilot's permission.  If you really, really want it for review, I may be able to provide it if you shoot me a PM.

:salute
Ryno
VF-17

The films are no longer available in the original post. 

Ryno:  Can you repost your videos on this topic?

Thanks and best regards
Syd*****Flying with The Floyd
By the way which one is Pink?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: High YO YO vertical turns
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:12 AM »
Those films are from Aces High 2 version of the game and will not play in Aces High 3 film viewer

Just a heads up

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
This might help - its a different sim but the concept and execution should be the same:

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »
This might help - its a different sim but the concept and execution should be the same:

This entire series of films are well done. I recommend the channel to people trying to understand maneuvers, and the fundamentals of dog fighting.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 10:45:29 AM »
I confused when he described pulling up, and then rolling AWAY from the bandit - it looks to me like he rolls TOWARD the bandit below, from his climbing turn...

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:04:35 AM »
I confused when he described pulling up, and then rolling AWAY from the bandit - it looks to me like he rolls TOWARD the bandit below, from his climbing turn...

That sounds like a timing issue. While you use the vertical to shorten your ground track, the bandit comes around his flat turn. You roll away from the bandits early position, towards the bandits later position.