Author Topic: Has anybody ever tried a ETO MA?  (Read 10265 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Has anybody ever tried a ETO MA?
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2022, 08:08:29 PM »
I think the spawn from A5 to A19 could be eliminated, with out any negative impact on game play.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2022, 10:44:59 AM »
Looking good Kenai.  One concern I still have is the eastern side of the map - is there enough sea-room for a fleet vs fleet action, for example, as a blue CV or BB tries to break out into the Atlantic, and a red fleet moves to encounter them off Spain's western coast?   It just looks very tight to me with regard to fleet vs fleet maneuvering room in that portion of the map... 

Would it be forgiveable to have an 11x11 sector MA map, rather than 10x10?   It IS an awfully large portion of the world we are depicting here, after all.  If possible, could the map could be extended by a full sector to the East, and by 1/2 sectors each on the North and South borders?   The new land in Norway could hold an additional base for the red country, and in the North Africa, Blue's strats could be pushed further south into the desert, and an additional VBase could be placed along the Mediterranean Coast near real world location of Algiers?

Forgive the crude example, but a picture explains it better:

btw, the French had a naval base (or anchorage at least), at Oran on the North Africa Mediterranean Cost, west of A94 - the French fleet was trapped and shelled here by the British early in the War, to prevent French battleships from being used by the Germans.  Might be a realistic placement for P73...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:53:56 AM by oboe »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2022, 07:54:14 PM »
Been working on spawn points for Bishops (Red). I will post the latest map revision tonight if possible.

There should be plenty of room for CV/BB maneuvering, we have several existing MA maps that are more congested than this map. A break out of the Rook (blue) or Knight (green) task groups into the Atlantic should not be an issue. I do have defensive Shore Batteries at the Straits of Gibraltar, the Cliffs of Dover, at A65 for the access to the Baltic, and A64 access to the Black Sea.

Map sizes are limited by the Terrain Editor to very specific sizes, 64, 128, 256 & 512 sq. miles. The current map is 256, to increase it would double the size of the map and dictate more bases. I could possible change the scale to increase the overall dimensions. I'll look into that.

I can relocate P73 to Oran, I put it where it is now just to give it better access to the Atlantic and provide some protection for the Straits.

I appreciate your input, and your expertise on WW2 bases and functions during the war, while I am somewhat of WW2 history buff, your attention to detail has been very inspiring and encouraging.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2022, 11:02:07 AM »
Here is the latest map update.....
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »
Here is the latest map update.....

Looking good!   It's exciting for me to see the real-life mountain ranges represented - the Alps, the Pyrenees, Carpathians, Atlas, etc. 

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
Okay Oboe, how are you posting the map on the forum? :headscratch:

Never mind, found it......... :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:23:26 AM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 06:13:07 PM »
Finished the Knight (green) spawn points, here is the update........
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2022, 12:29:38 AM »
Oboe, you think it would worth the effort to put a base on Malta? We could install a small base with no town, just the map room, like what Bustr did in Rift Valley. That would be more historic.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2022, 08:45:40 AM »
I like the idea of a small base on Malta.  It would have the advantages of an unsinkable CV, just like it did in WWII.   But the island appears so small, would it fit?    It may be the airbase on Sicily will have to serve as a stand-in for Malta?

Are you trying to keep the physical distances between all bases between 19-25 miles?  I *thought* I read somewhere that was an MA design criteria.   And many people prefer closely-spaced bases for the shorter flight time to get into action it provides...

Really looking promising.  Starting to make me salivate a little...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:52:23 AM by oboe »

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2022, 08:50:02 AM »
love it. Adds another facet of realism to the game

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »
Here is a pic of the airfield at Malta in 1953. Not sure how much would've changed since 41-45

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2022, 01:55:33 PM »
Here is the first draft of the spawn points for all bases, but no cross country spawns yet. Please review, make suggestions on existing spawn points and recommendations for cross country spawns. While I have tried to provide at least 2 spawn points into every base, that has not always been possible, especially on the small islands. As a starting point I would like to see at least 2 if not 3  two way cross country spawns on each front.

Oboe the Malta island, at this scale, would have to be doubled in size to accommodate a small base. It can be done, I would suggest moving the small air base on Crete to the Malta island if we decide we want it.

I can upload this map if you want to fly in it and check things out. There is still a lot of work too do, before we submit  it to Hitech. Personally I like to fly out of every base, spawn into/out of every base, run M3's from every spawn, to insure there are no hidden gotcha's in the terrain. This helps insure there are no super steep hills from the spawns, the tree configuration is reasonable, Shore Batteries are aimed properly.

Well enough for now, I'm still having fun.  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2022, 02:16:33 AM »
New update...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:19:05 AM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2022, 07:00:52 PM »
europe3 with cross country spawns. Any suggestions on adding the third BB group to each country??

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2022, 07:35:01 PM »
europe3 with cross country spawns. Any suggestions on adding the third BB group to each country??

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't like the BB's in general. If you want to add more ships, add CV's. At least there is an air element to them for players who play this game to fly.

It occurs to me that A4(red) is the closest bare to the green country port in 9,12,9. Seems to me that it's a bad idea to have a port so isolated from friendly air defenders.

Also, I'm looking at the map in terms of opening moves for aircraft and the Green/Blue fronts doesn't offer the same opportunities as Red/Blue or Red/Green

I think both of these issues can be remedied by shifting one base's ownership on each front. Change A4 to Green, A93 to Red, and the green base in 12,9,6 to Blue (Can't read the number)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 08:00:21 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com