Author Topic: Has anybody ever tried a ETO MA?  (Read 10253 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Has anybody ever tried a ETO MA?
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2022, 10:45:37 PM »
I like Oboe's ideas regarding maintaining that sweet spot for base distance. Not sure if NHawk specified this sweet spot being for all bases or just for air fields, but I suspect the latter is the case. Maybe more aggressive overhaul of base placement could improve things even further.

I see a few area on the map where Vbases are placed that make for long flights to nearby air fields. I see these as areas where air action will die out when it becomes the front line - mainly V98 on Corsica and the Vbases in Hungary, Romania, and Ukraine. That whole region is a dead zone for aircraft and it will only funnel Blue offensives against Green towards Austria and Germany. Southern France and Sweden are also looking a little barren. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »
Here it is with the latest suggestions.......
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2022, 05:04:13 PM »
Moved some bases around and added a couple more for each country. Long flight times in the Mediterranean maybe unavoidable, unless we add more Ports and CV's.

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »
Flying the Alps.....

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2022, 07:54:33 AM »
Did you have to color the terrain yourself? Seems much nicer than the Alps on our danube terrain from what I can recall.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2022, 08:35:30 AM »
Did you have to color the terrain yourself? Seems much nicer than the Alps on our danube terrain from what I can recall.

We can color it or rely on the terrain settings. The Editor does allow us to set terrain settings based on the angle of the slope and altitude, these come in handy for mountains.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2022, 09:56:43 AM »
Latest rendition, up to base 47 doing spawn checks and elevation verification's.........

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2022, 10:27:16 AM »
We can color it or rely on the terrain settings. The Editor does allow us to set terrain settings based on the angle of the slope and altitude, these come in handy for mountains.
Gotcha, I'd have to look at Danube again, just from what I remember it didn't seem very snowy lol. Looks awesome!!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2022, 12:01:18 PM »
Its looking very playable to me.   

- There are some fields that seem too close to each other; I've put pink rings around them. 

- Regarding the "tank town: in center, if you don't group them closely together, they will appear as part of the overall land-capture part of the game - grouping them together might help players recognize these bases are for GV battles only and should not be captured, similar to other terrains with tank towns.   Grouping these VBases also opens up some more territory to spread bases out where needed.

- I've shown flakbases; one per strat, just to give an idea of their density on the full map.  Personally I would expect strats to be protected like this, your earlier version showed 2 flakbases per strat and perhaps that was too much in areas where bases are a bit close to each other. 

As always, take my suggestions with a grain of salt - I don't have a lot of experience in terrain design considerations.   Just trying to help and show I'm following your progress with interest!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »
Its looking very playable to me.   

- There are some fields that seem too close to each other; I've put pink rings around them. 

- Regarding the "tank town: in center, if you don't group them closely together, they will appear as part of the overall land-capture part of the game - grouping them together might help players recognize these bases are for GV battles only and should not be captured, similar to other terrains with tank towns.   Grouping these VBases also opens up some more territory to spread bases out where needed.

- I've shown flakbases; one per strat, just to give an idea of their density on the full map.  Personally I would expect strats to be protected like this, your earlier version showed 2 flakbases per strat and perhaps that was too much in areas where bases are a bit close to each other. 

As always, take my suggestions with a grain of salt - I don't have a lot of experience in terrain design considerations.   Just trying to help and show I'm following your progress with interest!

Thanks for the feedback Oboe, I very much WANT your feedback/suggestions, was well as anyone else's. Collaboration will lead to success with this map.

I will see what I can do with these latest ones. Should not be a major issue. The Tank Town bases can still be captured, but to me the key is they will be easier to recapture also. I'll also see about getting them closer to allow moving other base some.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »
You are very welcome!

I have a question about strat targets.   Are they all created equally, or are some Strats higher-value targets than others?   I'm thinking that teams seem to go for the radar and AA Strats more often, however I might be mistaken in this.  Where can I go to find up-to-date info on how Strats affect the game?

If there are more important Strats, maybe they should be the ones furthest away from the front lines...

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2022, 11:06:27 PM »
You are very welcome!

I have a question about strat targets.   Are they all created equally, or are some Strats higher-value targets than others?   I'm thinking that teams seem to go for the radar and AA Strats more often, however I might be mistaken in this.  Where can I go to find up-to-date info on how Strats affect the game?

If there are more important Strats, maybe they should be the ones furthest away from the front lines...

IMHO with the exception of the HQ, each strat has different strategic impacts. Cities, as you know, determine Town Building down times, AAA impacts gun down times, Ammo impacts Ord Bunker down times, Radar etc, Troops and Refinery. Traditionally the focus has been on AAA and Ammo, with Radar being a close third. Troops have the potential of being very important as it affects your ability to re-supply bases and towns.

Our current configuration  has each countries City representing a Major City of Europe. For the Bishop/Red it is London, for Knight/Green it is Berlin, and for Rook/Blue it is Rome.

I am not aware of any data that we have access to that would clarify Strat usage. Lusche might have some data.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2022, 12:31:33 AM »
IMHO with the exception of the HQ, each strat has different strategic impacts. Cities, as you know, determine Town Building down times, AAA impacts gun down times, Ammo impacts Ord Bunker down times, Radar etc, Troops and Refinery. Traditionally the focus has been on AAA and Ammo, with Radar being a close third. Troops have the potential of being very important as it affects your ability to re-supply bases and towns.

This got me thinking that perhaps it's best to move each country's radar strat to the rear since taking it down results in horrid gameplay.

Does the HQ do anything? Maybe the HQ for Blue should be moved farther east to not be so close to the Red/Blue front. I see it as being very vulnerable if bombing it has an effect.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2022, 12:33:07 AM »
Here is the latest changes suggested by Oboe.....

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2022, 12:37:45 AM »
This got me thinking that perhaps it's best to move each country's radar strat to the rear since taking it down results in horrid gameplay.

Does the HQ do anything? Maybe the HQ for Blue should be moved farther east to not be so close to the Red/Blue front. I see it as being very vulnerable if bombing it has an effect.

We could do that Devil505, as it is now Radar, AAA and Ammo are accessible. But they are defensible also.

HQ does not do anything anymore, its just there.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76