Author Topic: A FEW QUESTIONS FROM A VR DOPE  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
A FEW QUESTIONS FROM A VR DOPE
« on: December 11, 2021, 07:35:03 AM »
1. What exactly is needed besides the headset for AH3 and possibly MSFS2020?

2. What can I expect to pay for the setup?

3. I wear thin framed glasses full time. I understand that some headsets allow for corrective lenses but are there headsets that provide enough room for the glasses I wear?

I gave TrackIR a shot back in the day, but never got comfortable of having to always recenter my view upon taking a shot. Is this the case with VR as well?

TIA <S>

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: A FEW QUESTIONS FROM A VR DOPE
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »
I have had a vive pro original for 3 years now

I like it as the front expands to allow my mr magoo glasses which I was not able to get the custom script lenses to work as my script is complicated

The setup is around $1000 with controllers and light stations

I have enjoyed the VR experience it has provided

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 09:19:22 AM »
Hi Max,

The answer to #1 depends on the headset you end up purchasing.  When looking at headsets, the features you want to keep in mind are: 

1) is the headset designed for standalone play or is it designed for PC VR (if it is a standalone unit, like the Occulus Quest,       you'll want to purchase a Link cable to connect to the PC)

2) does the headset use inside-out tracking, or base station tracking.  Less expensive headsets, like the Quest or Reverb G2, use inside-out tracking.  This means the headset has outward-facing cameras that need to see the room walls to properly orient your VR "body" and controllers within the game.   Other headsets, like the Valve Index use separate base stations (they look like little black cubes) that you buy and set up in your room.  I think these use IR technology, and they are generally provide better tracking, but at added cost (each base station costs around $150 if purchased separately, but can be included as part of the initial package.

At the low price end, you have the Occulus Quest 2.  For $299, plus $80 for the Link cable, you'll have all you need to get started.  I own this headset, and felt it necessary to upgrade to the deluxe headstrap for another $50, for better weight distribution and comfort.   The Quest 2 comes with a plastic spacer to snap in between the face-pad and the unit to create more space for eye-glass wearers.

The next step up would be the HP Reverb G2, at $599.   This headset comes with everything you need, no additional purchase is necessary.   It has better image resolution and color than the Quest 2.   Like the Quest 2, it has inside-out tracking so no base stations are needed.  I owned a Reverb G1, and liked it generally (I bought corrective lense inserts) but found hardware build quality lacking.  My unit failed and was replaced under warranty, then the replacement unit failed after the warranty expired.

Next level up would be probably the Valve Index, at $1000.   This unit uses base stations for tracking and offers at wider field of view than the previous two headsets, however the image resolution is lower per eye.  Its a solid unit but its drawback is the lower resolution.  You will probably need to use the zoom feature to read cockpit gauges.   

HTC makes one called the Vive Pro 2, which has similar image resolution to the Index but better screens - AMOLED vs LCD.  so the colors should be more vibrant and the blacks darker.   A full kit costs $1200 at the HTC store.

I think most headsets have enough room for eyeglasses but I would look at YouTube reviews of headsets to see what they say.

I still recenter my view fairly often.  I have a button mapped to my stick to do this.   Its a habit now so I don't find it off-putting.  I think its because VR is such a "real" experience, my body and head positions change depending on what's going on in game - for example I frequently find myself 'ducking' when the virtual a/c pass too close for comfort.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:21:56 AM by oboe »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:28 AM »
Oboe covered everything pretty well, but I'll expand on my experiences.

I started out with the Rift from oculus, this one used the "stations" Oboe was talking about. I have since upgraded to the Quest 2. The spacer Oboe mentioned does give more room for glasses which I ware. The only issue I had was the weight of the headset rested a bit on the glasses and so the nose piece of my glasses would dig into my nose. So I bought the prescription lens for my Quest 2, which work great, but ended up buying the deluxe headstrap when I found it on sale for $29 just for the hell of it and I think that would have solved my problem with the nose piece pressing in. I would suggest getting the deluxe headstrap.

So $299 for the quest, $80 for the cable, and $50 for the headstrap, $430 and your good to go. Add another $10 for the "Voice attack" program (you might be able to get by with the free version which limits the number of commands, but after spending $430 whats another $10 right?  :D )

As far as re-centering, I almost never do it. Once I get use to VR I dont move much in my seat. In the old days Id recline in my office chair and such, but with VR I more often than not lock the chair upright and with the views not only "showing" you the sides of the cockpit but making it feel like they are really there you dont move alot. So centering up is easy IF you really need it. After a while the pipper my be off the heads up glass but you will KNOW where it is and set your lead with that. I think that is why most players say their aim got better once they switched to VR. Mine still sucks but it always has  :)

Once you go VR you wont want to go back!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 10:30:08 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
Good info, gents...thanks!

My budget would either allow for the Quest 2 or Reverb G2. It would be great to physically try these things at Best Buy, etc. but I gather in this Covid age such things are impossible.

Fugi, the corrective lens's you bought...are they the same as those in your eyewear frames? I wear progressives and they aint cheap.

Someone in-game mentioned getting a standard cable  for $20 vs spending $80. Thoughts?

Is a 128 GB headset sufficient? If I recall right, AH3 runs direct from the computer (hence the cable requirement) and memory isn't an issue. True?

Thanks again  :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
+1 for Voice Attack. IMO essential for VR where typing can be - - - a challenge! Get the ten buck version. You'll constantly be thinking of other commands you can map with it.

As to the lenses, you don't use the progressive part of the prescription for them. I have progressives too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »
The Elite strap (Amazon has one with multiple positive reviews, for $33) ...There's also one with a battery for $109. Do I need the battery if using a cable?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
Good info, gents...thanks!

My budget would either allow for the Quest 2 or Reverb G2. It would be great to physically try these things at Best Buy, etc. but I gather in this Covid age such things are impossible.

Fugi, the corrective lens's you bought...are they the same as those in your eyewear frames? I wear progressives and they aint cheap.

Someone in-game mentioned getting a standard cable  for $20 vs spending $80. Thoughts?

Is a 128 GB headset sufficient? If I recall right, AH3 runs direct from the computer (hence the cable requirement) and memory isn't an issue. True?

Thanks again  :salute

I use progressive too. All you need for the lens is your distance script. I used VR wave and they were quick and the fit was easy to put in.

The Elite strap (Amazon has one with multiple positive reviews, for $33) ...There's also one with a battery for $109. Do I need the battery if using a cable?

If you have the cable you dont need the battery. It doesnt charge as fast as you use the juice, but it extends your play time. I've 8 hours strait between AH and VR Poker on most Saturday nights and never have an issue.

One thing on the cable, I've read that if you "cheap out" on it you could run into issues both compatibility wise as well as longevity wise. I didnt want to have to mess with it so I bought the good one.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 05:31:05 AM »
If you use the Quest 2 with the Air Link and use the cable, it will stay at 100% while playing. Charging rate is restricted if available at all during use with just the cable.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »
Hey MAX,

So everybody gave you some great options.. especially if you have deep pockets.. Thought I would give you the bargain basement way to awesome VR for AHIII..

So there are a couple absolute musts for VR to run effeciently and they are...
1.) a CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz or better. I have exactly that and I got it on Craigslist for $75
2.) RAM, you need lots of RAM to manage VR smoothly I have 32gb RAM (4 x 8gb DDR4). Again Craigslist $50 for all 4 sticks
3.) GPU, You need a decent GPU to run VR. I used to use a GTX960 and it ran Aces High well enough but that was the absolute minimum GPU needed/ Thanks to Craigslist I was able to upgrade to a GTX980 8gb DDR5 for $150 and it runs it excellently.
4.) USB-3 You need dedicated USB-3 for your headset. An external, powered USB-3 works best and can be picked up for about $25.
5.) A VR Headset. I use Oculus Rift S, Its not the absolute top of the line but still incredibley awesome. Also the Oculus Rift S has lots of third party options for prescription inserts that work perfect. Best part about the Rift S is that you can get one on Craigslist or offer up for $150 to $200 in brand new condition. Many times with just one or two sessions use on it.

And thats it.. So lets recap and total the cost of VR on a budget..

1.) CPU  -   $75
2.) RAM  -   $50
3.) GPU  -   $150
4.) USB  -   $25
5.) Rift  -   $200

Total    -    $450

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 10:17:24 PM »

The 128Gb is storage for standalone apps and games. PC Games don't use any of that storage.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 02:14:56 AM »
Alas, our Max, had issues with VR. I am not gonna list them...just FYI....His post is Old News.   He gave it a Try, for a fact!  Old Geezer just had no patience :huh...kidding.  I had High Hopes, for his VR experience!  Pretty sure those issues...saved my VIRTUAL CARTOON LIFE  :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 12:33:06 AM »
i'd recommend corrective lenses. If you rub glasses on the lenses even by accident it becomes really costly. You will spend lot of time in VR, correctives will make it easier/more comfy.