Author Topic: MakeAHMap Future  (Read 545 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
MakeAHMap Future
« on: December 20, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »
I know that virtually every new terrain that is built for AH with the help this program. It gives a great help to the community. It gives also great help to HTC itself.

It is free and open source software anybody with basic knowledge of C++ can maintain and released under one of the most permissive licenses - MIT. I still try to maintain it for various fixes mostly because I know how it is important to the great community.

However, I don't play Aces High any more for several years. I'm not likely going to return any time soon. (Why? see below)

I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain it the way I do. If you as community want to keep this program alive make sure:

- HTC takes responsibility of the mirrors - cause I can't run after sources all the time. We already lost SRMT30. I don't know what is going to happen in near future
- HTC takes at least some responsibility of the source code. I can guide where needed but if at some point some big change will be needed, for example SRTM1 or implement rivers in terms of game rivers rather than terrain water bodies. I'm not going to do this because I don't play the game any more.

I don't mind giving HTC commit rights to repository - or even better I'd prefer that HTC will take the code and release it together with TE - finally it is open-source.

So I'm writing it as a big red flag. If you want to keep this program running in future... make sure I will not be the only one who takes care of this software - since I'm not sure I even will be able to test it one day without up-to-date AH.

I stopped playing AH mostly because:

- I don't have time for it
- I have many other hobbies and interest that take my time.
- AH isn't what it was. I don't see past things like BoB or Midway coming back any time soon
- As Linux user I'm deeply annoyed every time I think of trying is starting updating it each time rebooting to system I don't use at all. I have great fun with some games on Steam that runs very well on Linux and to be honest dual-booting is a harsh barrier since starting a game isn't simple click and play
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: MakeAHMap Future
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 08:52:16 AM »
Artik, I understand your position and wish you the best in what ever and where ever it leads you. You have done a GREAT service for the Aces High community, one that I doubt anyone could duplicate, and I dare say, few will ever understand. Again thank you from all of us in the community.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76