Author Topic: New Quest 2 User...  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
New Quest 2 User...
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:58:50 PM »
WOW! :x

It took me a while, reading through posts here, doing some basic digging, etc. but I have the basics for VR working... at least I've played with it in Offline Practice and Offline Missions.  As everyone has said... a whole new experience!

My question now is MA/SEA related... when I jumped in the MA, I can hear all the sounds and everyone talking through the Quest 2 headset, but can the built-in microphone on it be accessed via a button press on my joystick or am I going to have to strap on the old headset and use the boom mic to talk??

SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: New Quest 2 User...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:47:24 PM »
As long as the oculus headset mic is the selected mic both in windows and the game, then yes, the same button push you had before will work.

Welcome to VR   :x

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:25:34 PM »
WOW! :x

It took me a while, reading through posts here, doing some basic digging, etc. but I have the basics for VR working... at least I've played with it in Offline Practice and Offline Missions.  As everyone has said... a whole new experience!

My question now is MA/SEA related... when I jumped in the MA, I can hear all the sounds and everyone talking through the Quest 2 headset, but can the built-in microphone on it be accessed via a button press on my joystick or am I going to have to strap on the old headset and use the boom mic to talk??

The way Hitech has this set up is genius. The game sounds are in my normal headset, but when I switch over to the Oculus all the game sounds switch to it.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
Yeah... I thought I was going to have to wear both

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 03:16:58 PM »
Yeah... I thought I was going to have to wear both

(Image removed from quote.)

My dumb a** was at first til a friend told me. LOL

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 08:09:04 AM »
Ok... regarding the Quest 2 and using built in microphone for vox

I attempted this last night, in the MA and the second I would press my vox button, the Oculus would display a small hourglass which would spin once or twice and then go away.  During this hourglass split second, I would get a freeze frame and then things would continue and my voice would start to transmit.

I tuned to myself on vox... pressed the button and began to count out loud.  Screen froze and the first thing transmitted to me was "3, 4, 5,..."

Immediately switched back to headset over the Oculus to just get the feel for other tuning issues (rudder setting loss, not really having easy keyboard access, etc.).  I can LIVE with the headset as I can't fight with the hourglass freeze.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 09:51:01 AM »
I may be in the minority of Oculus users, but I continued to use my old headset/boom mic rather than the Oculus' built in audio and mic.  I prefer the extra isolation from my home environment it provides.   It minimizes distractions and boost my immersion.  Since I'm pretending to be a WWII pilot anyway, I have no complaints about the weight or bulk of a headphone set.

I actually wish someone would offer a USB throat mic, like the B-17 pilots wore in "12 o'clock High"...

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
Ok... regarding the Quest 2 and using built in microphone for vox

I attempted this last night, in the MA and the second I would press my vox button, the Oculus would display a small hourglass which would spin once or twice and then go away.  During this hourglass split second, I would get a freeze frame and then things would continue and my voice would start to transmit.

I tuned to myself on vox... pressed the button and began to count out loud.  Screen froze and the first thing transmitted to me was "3, 4, 5,..."

Immediately switched back to headset over the Oculus to just get the feel for other tuning issues (rudder setting loss, not really having easy keyboard access, etc.).  I can LIVE with the headset as I can't fight with the hourglass freeze.  Any suggestions appreciated.

I've been told that depending on how many USB ports are being used can draw power away from the VR headset.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 03:20:51 PM »
I've been told that depending on how many USB ports are being used can draw power away from the VR headset.

Which sparked a memory.  When I first got my Rift S, I found that I had to replace the hand control batteries frequently - very frequently.  One day, on a hunch, I plugged the device's USB into a USB 3.0 port.  Life instantly changed, and I've since saved all kinds of money on AA battery replacements.  It may be that switching to a USB 3.0 port could help with the audio, too.

- oldman

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 07:33:32 AM »

Which sparked a memory.  When I first got my Rift S, I found that I had to replace the hand control batteries frequently - very frequently.  One day, on a hunch, I plugged the device's USB into a USB 3.0 port.  Life instantly changed, and I've since saved all kinds of money on AA battery replacements.  It may be that switching to a USB 3.0 port could help with the audio, too.

- oldman

I was told to only use the blue USB ports for the VR

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:25 AM »
I was told to only use the blue USB ports for the VR

The Oculus PC software actually would not finish the set up until I plugged the USB cable into 3.0 slot.  I had thought the front ports on my PC were 3.0, software would not move past the "trying to connect" stage.  Unplugged from the front and direct into a "blue" on the back of the unit, direct to the motherboard, it immediately recognized the headset.

At this point, I'm fine with wearing the headphones as I know I'm on an older machine (I built Feb. 2012) with a 1060 w/6GB VRAM.  Now I just need to get the more comfortable head piece for the Quest 2 and get Voice Attack which I'm hoping cures a lot of my pain at the loss of my keyboard functionality (I'm amazed at how much I used a keyboard!)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 09:27:04 AM »
Can't you use the vr keyboard?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »
The VR keyboard is cool if like using your face to move the cursor that much. I got a aftermarket insert piece for the headset which allows me to look over my nose at the keyboard and other things.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:23 AM »
Question for the Quest 2 users - I've seen with games on PS and stuff, the view the user sees is mirrored to the TV and stuff. Is this the same case with AH? Can the view be set to be mirrored onto my monitor as well?

I guess I'm thinking for FSO and Scenario I'm often getting up and doing stuff on climbout and such.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »

I guess I'm thinking for FSO and Scenario I'm often getting up and doing stuff on climbout and such.

Yeah... I've already decided that when I have CM duties, the Quest 2 is going to be tabled  :(

There is just too much keyboard interaction and while I am sure some of the NORMAL stuff can be handled with VoiceAttack, there will always be that quick text conversation that only a keyboard can handle.  The screen mirroring that I see on my desktop is what I'm looking in the headset, which means my text buffer is above my mirror, etc. so I just don't see it allowing me to be as effective.