Author Topic: My next project  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
My next project
« on: January 28, 2022, 03:20:34 AM »
I've decided to skin both the T-34s as my next project and will post progress reports from time to time in this thread. I'm not going to go into great detail like in my "P-38 build log" thread as the process will be very similar to that build anyway. But if anyone has questions I'm happy to answer them.

The T-34s have most of the issues common to old AH 3D shapes; texture stretching, patching, reversal and multiple uses of a single texture for small parts. Some of these will cause issues for schemes with multiple colours (Beutepanzers etc.) but I think I can work round them. There seem to be enough reasonable quality WW2 photos of T-34s both on the internet and in books Lyric1 has found me to make them worth doing.

Here's a screenshot to show where I am starting from; just the panel finder texture on the diffuse to let me find the issues and the lighting files adjusted with blank maps.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: My next project
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 04:40:12 AM »
If we could get a T-34 with Dr7's name on it. Or a M-18
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Online JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
Not sure how practical it would be, but I would love to see some of the GV's camouflaged in colors more indicative of the MA. But this looks like it will be great.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 06:38:41 AM »
Skins for the MA have to be realistic replicas of real life WW2 vehicles so the colours used are researched to be as accurate as possible, not to match the MA terrain. Having said that there is a lot of debate in military and modelling about the colour of the paint actually used on the T-34. The factory green used was known as "4BO" and depending on the source this could have been from anything from a bright acid green to a dark dull green. The paint may have darkened with age or varied between paint factories, which perhaps accounts for the confusion. I have found five different 4BOs on the web so far, so I have a bit of wiggle room regarding the final colour.

I can't do a DR7 skin for the MA as it wouldn't comply with HTC's rules for skin submissions. However I could do a skin for something like a DR7 memorial event, where it would be added to the event terrain as the default skin.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 08:16:57 AM »
If we could get a T-34 with Dr7's name on it. Or a M-18

Thats a fantastic idea!!!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 02:29:10 AM »
I've done all the boring marking out of UVs so have now started on the more interesting stuff. On an aircraft template I'd start by making panel lines, rivet layers, fabric and shading effects covering the entire external surfaces, using a combination of diagrams and photos as a guide. On a GV though I tend to get some close up photos of a specific area of the vehicle and skin that, then move on to another area and so on.

On the T-34/85 I decided to start with the wheels. On the AH model these are a mixture of rubber and steel rimmed road wheels, which is probably carried over from the T-34/76 model as I don't think the steel rims were used on the later model. Anyway, here's a before/after shot showing the detail I've added. The fasteners will later be added to the normal map to make them appear more 3D and I'll do weathering and paint at the end of the build.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 04:48:53 AM »

I can't do a DR7 skin for the MA as it wouldn't comply with HTC's rules for skin submissions. However I could do a skin for something like a DR7 memorial event, where it would be added to the event terrain as the default skin.

That would be awesome sir. Especially for Tank Wars.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 10:55:56 AM »
And maybe a ET37 logo on a 17

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 01:57:21 AM »
Added some detail to the front hull; welds, hatches, holes and AO shading. It will look better once the normal map gives it some vertical depth.

Online JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 08:35:01 AM »
Greebo, your attention to detail is amazing sir.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 05:37:37 AM »
Thank you, I try to get it as accurate as possible within the limitations of the 3D shape, that's what makes it fun for me.

I've now detailed the hull sides.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 05:08:10 AM »
I've now detailed the rear hull and engine deck. That's all the hull detailed so its on to the turret, unfortunately that's where the worst bugs are.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 05:10:40 AM »
Looks good

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 04:00:09 AM »
The detailing part of the T-34/85 build is now finished and I'll now take a break to do a skin for next month's FSO. After that its the colour scheme, weathering and all the lighting files left to do.

Online JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »
Looking awesome Greebo, can't wait to run it out on a mission. :x
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76