Author Topic: My next project  (Read 3092 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: My next project
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »
 :aok

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 01:19:33 PM »
This is looking real nice so far.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »
I'll say!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 05:31:52 AM »
A fairly big step forward visually as the colour scheme for my first T-34/85 skin has now been added. I may yet revise the base green once I have got all of the dirt on it, the lighting files done and viewed it in-game.

The tank modelled is from the 63rd Guards Tank Brigade of the 10th Guards Urals Tank Corps. It carries the name of the western Siberian city of Omsk, likely because that was the location of Factory 174 where this tank was built. I'm not sure the significance of the two barrel rings is. Quite a few, but not all, of this Corp's tanks that I have photos of have up to three of them. They may be kill markings but could also be rank or platoon indicators. Thanks to Lyric1 for all his help finding me info for this and future T-34 skins.

I've also added some more detail, such as the tyre tread and holes and a new texture for the tracks and spare links.

Next job is to add all the dirt, oil and rust etc.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:07:20 AM by Greebo »

Online LNG15

• Nickel Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2022, 07:46:50 AM »
That is pretty good Greebo. The rings on the barrel kind of remind me of World Of Tanks where you earned multiple Ace Tanker badges on a certain tank you driver, you earn a mark on the gun barrel, but it was a star instead, I think for the Germans it was lines. But I am not sure what those meant IRL.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 08:39:31 AM »
Awesome Greebo, your attention to detail is just amazing......  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2022, 07:38:24 AM »
Added some dirt to the skin but the placeholder blank lighting files are hiding the effect to an extent. Once those files are done properly the skin will have much less of a clean looking sheen to it and will show some 3D-ness to the detail.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2022, 10:55:22 AM »
This is really looking great.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 11:06:37 AM »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 02:45:06 PM »
Greebo, how do you make the weld lines?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 09:38:02 AM »
Sorry, my internet connection has gone down and I am typing this on my phone. I will post a description of my technique for welds once it’s back up.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2022, 08:36:21 AM »
Greebo, how do you make the weld lines?

My weld lines on the T-34 are built up from three layers.  The first shown in the top left screenshot is a one pixel white line representing the centre lines of the welds. The second, top right, is the edges of the welds. Basically two black lines to either side of the centre line. The third, bottom left,  is called weld roughness and is created from copies of the first two layers merged together. This is then reduced to zero brightness which effectively gives me three pixel wide black lines. These lines are then partially erased using a tool set bigger than the overall size of the skin, 100% opacity, 50% density and 100% hardness. The effect is to remove half of the black line pixels randomly. Once all three layers are reduced in opacity the welds look like the bottom right screenshot.

The reason I do it this way in three layers is it gives me more scope to play with the weld effect in the normal map. For this skin I wanted all the welds to stick up above the surface of the skin and be quite rough in texture. The Soviet tank factories didn't bother to clean up their welds except where this was needed for clearance so T-34s look quite crudely finished compared to Western tanks. So for the normal map I turned the weld outline layer white but made that layer less opaque than the centre line layer, effectively giving a domed profile to the weld. The roughness layer then gave it the unfinished appearance I was after.

The welds are also in the other lighting maps but the effect of these in GVs is much less important than the normal map, the opposite of aircraft skins really.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2022, 08:44:14 AM »
So here is the finished skin. I changed the base green to something darker and bluer after doing some more research. I based it mainly on some colour stills of T-34s that come from a post-war late 1940s propaganda movie. As a bonus it also seems to blend better with the AH terrain than the first colour and makes the mud stand out more.

Adding the normal map has allowed details like welds, holes, casting roughness and stamps, small grab handles and the cables running to the light and aerial to look a lot more realistic.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 08:46:24 AM by Greebo »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
AWESOME Greebo, the detailing is phenomenal!!  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76