Author Topic: How come there is no member list?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
How come there is no member list?
« on: February 08, 2022, 10:02:28 PM »
Is there no member list for forum members here?

There's a couple of people I'd like to look up. Say hello.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: How come there is no member list?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 01:36:38 AM »
I suppose it's a safety thing. Laws and orders, you know. On squadron forums there's a list available for the moderators so they can add and remove people. Most likely there's a similar list for the public forums, available for the moderator only.

One thing about the lists is that it's almost impossible to know who's still active. On our squad forum there's 125 names gathered in 20 years. To my big surprise one of them posted recently for condolences - his first post in over a decade!

If you need to say hello to someone, try a private message. If you type the name right in the "To" field, a small window will pop up under the name suggesting the same name. That should tell you that you've remembered the name right.
I just tried it and yes, "gg" stayed blank while "-gg-" gave the tiny pop-up. Oh, and it's not case sensitive so no need to worry about random capitals in the names.

All that said, there's no telling that the person you'll trying to reach will ever read your message. There's forum members who don't actively fly and there's players who never read the forums. And there's former players who randomly pop in to see if there's any familiar names in the latest posts. And there's players who use a different name on the forum and in game.

Good luck finding the people you're looking for!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 09:43:58 PM »
Thank you

I just wish there were a member list. I don't see how it would be a privacy issue.

Anyway. thanks!

I have known a lot of people and met some goods friends through this game and website. I have had my own forum since 2008 and hundreds of people from AH were members. A lot have moved on, passed away, etc. I see lots of people in the game still.

Just thinking it would be really nice to keep in touch.

Most knew me as Nuke.

By the way, one dear friend has just recently passed. Some of you will remember Airhead. Or Elmendorf, or some of hid other hilarious shades here.

'

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 01:33:26 AM »
Re a privacy issue:  Here in the EU we have a thing called General Data Protection Regulation, GDPR, which sets rules about data bases collected about people. That also gives any individual the right to ask whether there's any information about them collected, what said information is used for and within reason have the option to ask for the information to be removed or otherwise deactivated.

Agreed, a list of nicknames is not a cross-linked database so that you could find other information about them but it's a start. Also agreed, the very same nicknames can be picked one by one by scrolling through all of the millions of posts from tens of thousands posters starting from day one. By hand that would be a mission impossible as it would take ages to load the pages and copy-paste the names into and Excel table. Most likely one could coad a bot to do the hard work a bit faster and even check the profiles and add that information for each and every one. That would already create a cross linked database where you could sort the names by e.g. gender, age, joining date, location, certain social media users... And the links to their social media or websites can reveal even more information about them including real name, address, phone number, family and pets, car registry plate... All of which can then be combined to a reliable looking package for stealing one's identity!

So a list of names could provide a jump start for an evil data miner and that's why it's not public.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 07:12:45 AM »
Are you looking for more than the members list you get when you click on the members tab?
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 07:27:19 AM »
Are you looking for more than the members list you get when you click on the members tab?

No just a member's tab. I don't even have a members tab

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 08:00:54 AM »
I used to have it. Maybe HiTech removed it from my permissions for some reason.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 08:18:55 AM »
I cant find a members tab either. I get a list of BBS members when I go to my messages -> send a message, and then they pop in after 3 characters.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »
I used to have it. Maybe HiTech removed it from my permissions for some reason.

Hmm, that's weird.  Have no idea why I have a members tab. 

Does this link work for you?  https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=mlist
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 01:31:34 PM »
Hmm, that's weird.  Have no idea why I have a members tab. 

Does this link work for you?  https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=mlist

"You can't view the memberlist because you don't have permission to."
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 04:04:00 PM »
Well I know that I used to have the members list at least a couple weeks ago I did. I used it to look up some of the old posts.

This stinks. Why wouldn't I have permission now?

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 04:25:42 PM »
if you remember a call sign you can do a search and see when was the last time they posted. Then send a pm.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 04:29:21 PM »
Well I know that I used to have the members list at least a couple weeks ago I did. I used it to look up some of the old posts.

This stinks. Why wouldn't I have permission now?

Maybe is has something to do with that desire to be named Supreme Commander.  Just a guess.  Pay no attention.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 04:48:14 PM »
Lol!

I think it's funny. A squadron supreme commander is much needed!

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 06:44:48 PM »
I guess now we know which one is the mod...   ;dunno