Author Topic: people using oculous how is it?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
people using oculous how is it?
« on: February 11, 2022, 08:20:34 AM »
I played for a long time then developed simulator sickness and had to bail.  Then life happened and I couldn't afford the suggestions people made for me.  That said i'm planning on getting a new rig in 3 to 4 months.  Then the Oculous, And finally replace my flight gear.  (new job got a ton of toys I want to buy and they're on a list by priority.  So I'm looking at maybe a year before I'm completely set up.

That said I'd be curious to see how you're experience has been with it.  I had a track ir in the past and loved it.  I'm hoping a VR would help me have more immersion. Well not to the point that Dale suggested to me almost 10 years ago.  I'm not going to sit on a 55 gallon drum of fuel with a lit cigarette in sub zero temps.  LOL

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: people using oculous how is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 08:36:02 AM »
VR is the end of a journey I started at around age 5 when  I assembled and hung my 1st model airplane from my bedroom ceiling..

Nothing else compares IMO

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 08:45:49 AM »
It’s ridiculously immersive.  You are INSIDE the cockpit instead of looking at it on a 2D screen.   I use a Quest 2 with a separate headset/mic, and it really separates you from the real world and immerses completely.

That said, you give up a lot of keyboard interaction.   If you use text a lot in game it’s going to cramp your style.  The keyboard is virtual, and you type by looking at each letter and clicking the mouse, so it’s very tedious.

VR is the only thing that has made me slightly nauseous but I got used to it within days.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 09:25:08 AM »
I, like oboe, use the Quest 2 with a normal headset (Arctis 7 wireless). Tonight will be my first time flying with it in the MA/FSO, but I've flown probably 7-8 hours in MSFS with it, just tooling around in a 172 flying up the coast.

Words cannot describe the feeling when you're flying around. Videos in VR view don't do it justice. It's stupid. You need to get it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 01:53:23 AM »
I, like oboe, use the Quest 2 with a normal headset (Arctis 7 wireless). Tonight will be my first time flying with it in the MA/FSO, but I've flown probably 7-8 hours in MSFS with it, just tooling around in a 172 flying up the coast.

Words cannot describe the feeling when you're flying around. Videos in VR view don't do it justice. It's stupid. You need to get it.
:aok :rock :salute :airplane:  What he said!!!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 04:26:06 AM »
VR is the end of a journey I started at around age 5 when  I assembled and hung my 1st model airplane from my bedroom ceiling..

Eagler

Exactly
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 04:18:31 PM »

Eagler

I remember when I lost my VR virginity, that holy crap moment the first time you looked around an AH cockpit. It's amazing how fast VR has evolved, prices have dropped, and the uptake.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 07:26:24 PM »

Eagler

Hey there Eagler!!! Good to see you brother.  So ya I'm going to sit tight for a bit, buy my new gaming rig, and the oculous unless you have another option and I have a tremendous amount of respect for your expertise and experience.  I'm thinking it may take me about six months to a year to get in the saddle and fire up again.  I'm getting geared up to dump about 3k in equipment and a few months of offline and TA time to get good to go. 

That said I'm excited about coming back.  I really missed the brotherhood and the friendships I made here. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 07:29:24 PM »
Thanks everyone else for your insight.  Very much appreciated. 

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 03:07:44 AM »
Hey there Eagler!!! Good to see you brother.  So ya I'm going to sit tight for a bit, buy my new gaming rig, and the oculous unless you have another option and I have a tremendous amount of respect for your expertise and experience.  I'm thinking it may take me about six months to a year to get in the saddle and fire up again.  I'm getting geared up to dump about 3k in equipment and a few months of offline and TA time to get good to go. 

That said I'm excited about coming back.  I really missed the brotherhood and the friendships I made here.

In 6 months and especially if it's a year out, everything will change, so other than encouraging you to go for a VR build, nothing else will be applicable by then.
I can offer two bits of advice you can take as you like.

1) Go with a 2nd generation Head Mounted Display where the inevitable bugs and shortcomings have been worked out and fixed, i.e. the HP Reverb G2 ver.1's power cable issue or the current Varjo Aero (without audio, mic., or controllers), to name 2 that came/come with significant shortcomings. My son has the HP G2 ver. 2 and loves it at the current price point.

2) Look for Haptic hand trackers, i.e. the Valve Index today, WITH base stations aka lighthouses as an affordable part of the package. Built-in audio and mic. i.e. the Index and HP Reverb have very nice sound but even the original Oculus Rift was good enough to me. WiFi 6 is looking good for wireless VR without lag and hopefully it'll be offered and available by the time you're ready. I can't imagine a new PC build without WiFi 6 built-in, even for an ethernet connected PC, so you should be good. Of course, state of the art displays are mandatory, and will probably come with the "new pancake lenses".
Nothing today checks all those boxes, but maybe in 12 months or so a major manufacturer's upgrade just might.

No mater what GPU you choose, it probably won't be good enough for the following Generations of VR HMDs. Do your research and plan to keep your gaming HMD for at least a couple of years. Don't over spend on a GPU as you'll probably want to upgrade it as part of any new HMD purchase.

Keep in mind that among today's gaming HMDs, none of which check all the boxes, they're running from $300 USD for the Quest 2, $600 USD for an HP G2v2 and $1,000 USD for a Valve Index in the Steam store. None of them check all the boxes and this is before you look at customer support going forward and their warantee and no cost recalls!

For gaming, the sweet spot for value vs. dollars, cough, seems to be about $5-$600 USD.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 01:15:11 PM »
You can do wireless Wifi without lag right now on 802.11ac. Right now the limitation is the computational requirements.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 03:42:35 AM »
You can do wireless Wifi without lag right now on 802.11ac. Right now the limitation is the computational requirements.

Yes, but the future is cloud based computation with the refreshed image frames passed through fast internet and your local wifi. The issue will be, who is willing to share their viewing with the server(s) along the way. Or spend the cash to run locally. The stupid kids, mine include apparently, will say that privacy is already dead, get used to it.
Yep. Well no.

Edit: Businesses will never go that way. They'll spend the money to ensure privacy and control over security.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:18:43 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »
Have been in cable television since 1979...

They are now trying to tie customers wifi into umbrella type coverage that would be shared...

Yep convenience over privacy is the motto sadly

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 12:12:20 PM »
Yes, but the future is cloud based computation with the refreshed image frames passed through fast internet and your local wifi.

No it is not. There is too much latency in either direction for that to be effective, it's a pipe dream.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
No it is not. There is too much latency in either direction for that to be effective, it's a pipe dream.

:D At least you didn't use the word "never."  ;)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001