Author Topic: people using oculous how is it?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: people using oculous how is it?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 12:42:48 PM »
:D At least you didn't use the word "never."  ;)

The issue with cloud gaming and cloud vr is input lags (e.g. controller and headtracking). With headtracking lag will be noticeable and would likely contribute to nausea. To solve this issue you will need to solve FTL data transfer.

Who knows, maybe quantum computing would solve it. But with Quantum computing would you even need the cloud any more.

I'm prettty sure there was some sort of cloud gaming both setup at one of the vr shows a couple a years back and it was really bad.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 08:19:28 PM »
You can become resistant to VR lag/pause/stutter induced nausea with practice. A significant roadblock for me presently, other than prescription lenses, is controller input. For a flight sim that is best served with a physical HOTAS you still need to be able to flip switches and turn dials. There's not solid solution for this yet imo.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2022, 06:55:48 AM »
You quickly find out what buttons you need and which you don't in vr

I have everything I need in a fighter programmed to the jstick and throttle

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 08:58:35 PM »
Ya that was what I was wondering because when I had my ch setup I really didn't have to look at it.  I knew where all the buttons were and what they did by 'feel'.  I was running trackir back in the day and I was thinking that a VR headset might help with my simulator sickness.  I mean I'm pretty set on investing big bucks into a gaming rig, oculous, new set of CH gear,  All told I'll probably be dumping 3 to 5 k to get set up again.  The only real worry I have right now is local bandwith.  Eagler what do you have to say on that front?  I moved to the sticks and my up / down aint that great.  Whats the min for seamless game play?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 10:53:10 PM »
Ya that was what I was wondering because when I had my ch setup I really didn't have to look at it.  I knew where all the buttons were and what they did by 'feel'.  I was running trackir back in the day and I was thinking that a VR headset might help with my simulator sickness.  I mean I'm pretty set on investing big bucks into a gaming rig, oculous, new set of CH gear,  All told I'll probably be dumping 3 to 5 k to get set up again.  The only real worry I have right now is local bandwith.  Eagler what do you have to say on that front?  I moved to the sticks and my up / down aint that great.  Whats the min for seamless game play?
I am on DSL. Link speed is 130/104  recieve/trasnsmit Mbps  run a pretty solid 53ping rate for game
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 05:23:29 AM »
I played for a long time then developed simulator sickness and had to bail.  Then life happened and I couldn't afford the suggestions people made for me.  That said i'm planning on getting a new rig in 3 to 4 months.  Then the Oculous, And finally replace my flight gear.  (new job got a ton of toys I want to buy and they're on a list by priority.  So I'm looking at maybe a year before I'm completely set up.

That said I'd be curious to see how you're experience has been with it.  I had a track ir in the past and loved it.  I'm hoping a VR would help me have more immersion. Well not to the point that Dale suggested to me almost 10 years ago.  I'm not going to sit on a 55 gallon drum of fuel with a lit cigarette in sub zero temps.  LOL

Allow me to ask you a question good Sir. Have you ever played a racing game? Forza, Gran Tourismo? Nascar? I will assume you have for context. What is the difference between playing the race game in "driver view" on a flat 2d screen on your desk and driving your car to work or anywhere for that matter? The difference is so great its not even worth discussing right? Well, that is the difference between flying cockpit view on your 2d flat screen and literally sitting in the cockpit of a scaled Pony and flying in the sky. When you understand this.. you too will fly Aces High VR.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 06:58:12 PM »
I am hoping very much that the VR will keep that at bay.  I think it will.  I was running twin 48" monitors with a track IR when it raised its ugly head 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 11:38:37 PM »
I came back after 10 years away.  I was multi monitor track ir before...today, got the Oculus Quest 2 working and flew VR for the first time....

It is absolutely amazing.

I've never really been prone to motion sickness, but there have been some VR things that messed with me...  The International Space Station VR game thing, and Skyrim VR....

But I dont get any of that in Aces High...  after a few refresher hours in the TA...  probably because sitting is the way we fly, and most of the g forces would actually be downward, like the brain is used to.

It's fantastic.  So much so, if you are budgeting..  I would say get a good computer,  then the headset and a cheapo stick.  Then save for a good stick and pedals.

It's seriously worth it

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2022, 07:45:04 AM »
Oh trust me I'm waiting until I'm fully equipped and set before I even hit the TA.  My list is as follows

Oculus (3 to 4 weeks away)
CH stick, throttle, pedals (that'll be another 6 weeks unless I decide to blow my tax refund on them)
New main custom build PC.  That could be 90 to 120 days away
A month offline just getting used to everything and setting my rig up right
The off to the TA for some 'real' world 'flying'.
Then I'm going to look up my old squad and see if they'd take me back. 

If everything hits perfect I could be back as early as August but I'm thinking Sept / Oct is a more reasonable time frame.

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
Oh trust me I'm waiting until I'm fully equipped and set before I even hit the TA.  My list is as follows

Oculus (3 to 4 weeks away)
CH stick, throttle, pedals (that'll be another 6 weeks unless I decide to blow my tax refund on them)
New main custom build PC.  That could be 90 to 120 days away
A month offline just getting used to everything and setting my rig up right
The off to the TA for some 'real' world 'flying'.
Then I'm going to look up my old squad and see if they'd take me back. 

If everything hits perfect I could be back as early as August but I'm thinking Sept / Oct is a more reasonable time frame.

I'm in the process of trying to track down some of the guys I used to fly with and trying to talk them into coming back to Aces High.  My old squad, Rolling Thunder, doesnt appear to be around anymore.

But dang, the VR is such a game changer.  If you know anybody who enjoyed it before, encourage them to come back.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2022, 06:31:59 PM »
I kind of lost track of all my old friends.  Leaving the game was tough enough then a lot of life stuff happened and I simply didn't have time or energy to keep up with people.  But I do tout it quite a bit on reddit if I stumble across someone who might want to up a WW2 bird

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2022, 05:12:58 AM »
I kind of lost track of all my old friends.  Leaving the game was tough enough then a lot of life stuff happened and I simply didn't have time or energy to keep up with people.  But I do tout it quite a bit on reddit if I stumble across someone who might want to up a WW2 bird
I would be your WING MAN ANYTIME!
BW1stpar/ULCapkid
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2022, 01:12:02 PM »
I would be your WING MAN ANYTIME!
BW1stpar/ULCapkid

Roger that :)