Author Topic: The Martin Act  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
The Martin Act
« on: February 15, 2022, 09:05:50 AM »
Seems that the Martin Act will soon be front and center in the news.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Martin Act
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 09:23:33 AM »
No politics there lol

Thread should stay open how?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 09:41:45 AM »
No politics there lol

Thread should stay open how?

Eagler

Eagler, I seldom disagree with you, but how would an anti-fraud law passed in 1921 be a political topic?  I suppose if the law were applied injudiciously by one particular party to punish or otherwise encumber an opposing party, its application would become political, but just the simple statement that a 100 year old law is about to become front and center does not seem to me to be political.

Just my opinion, as always.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »
Eagler, I seldom disagree with you, but how would an anti-fraud law passed in 1921 be a political topic?  I suppose if the law were applied injudiciously by one particular party to punish or otherwise encumber an opposing party, its application would become political, but just the simple statement that a 100 year old law is about to become front and center does not seem to me to be political.

Just my opinion, as always.

The hidden part is what or who is the Martin Act being applied to, that's what would make it political, Eagler assumes and probably rightfully so based on Bushers past political leanings

Just a guess, lol

"What is the Martin Act? The Martin Act, a New York state law, gives the New York attorney general the power to investigate any publicly-held company for financial fraud as long as the company in question trades securities in the state"

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 10:29:56 AM »
In addition, what distinguishes the Martin Act from other securities laws across the United States is its unusually broad scope. To prove a violation under the Act, New York state is not required to prove a given action was intentional; it must simply prove that a company has misrepresented or omitted a material fact or engaged in other conduct which deceives or misleads the public, or even tends to deceive or mislead the public.

Additionally, under the Martin Act, the NY AG can investigate, issue subpoenas and demand corporations produce documents without probable cause or the ruling of a grand jury. The state is not required to provide proof of scienter (intent or knowledge of wrongdoing), damages to the public, or reasonable reliance (what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another).

CRITICISM OF THE MARTIN ACT
Troublingly, the Martin Act also allows the NY AG to subpoena witnesses to appear for an interview, or to provide written statements or documents, without going before a grand jury. Because these subpoenas are purely “investigatory,” witnesses subpoenaed by the attorney general cannot claim a right to counsel or the right against self-incrimination.

Legal experts have vocalized concerns that the Martin Act is an overreach of the state’s authority. Without needing to prove malicious intent, the NY AG has the ability to prosecute a company through an almost limitless scope, threatening the balance between state and federal authority.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 11:09:42 AM »
The hidden part is what or who is the Martin Act being applied to, that's what would make it political, Eagler assumes and probably rightfully so based on Bushers past political leanings

Just a guess, lol

"What is the Martin Act? The Martin Act, a New York state law, gives the New York attorney general the power to investigate any publicly-held company for financial fraud as long as the company in question trades securities in the state"

One minor correction. The Martin Act's powers are not limited only to "publicly held" corporations.

The assumption based upon my "political leanings" are irrelevant - all I am saying is that it will be interesting to watch the application of the law.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 12:25:55 PM »
This is not political.... I prefer the Jerry Lewis act though.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »
Please explain the application you think it will be used for?

I have my guesses but to state them would show a political agenda to some who would then scream to kill the thread

Look it up ... as to post a link would get some hollering to lock it..

Nice try Busher lol

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »
Clue look up the parody of this Martin act for who will be targeted

https://youtu.be/FYbavuReVF4

Eagler

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 12:51:07 PM »
Please explain the application you think it will be used for?

I have my guesses but to state them would show a political agenda to some who would then scream to kill the thread

Look it up ... as to post a link would get some hollering to lock it..

Nice try Busher lol

Eagler

Nice try? I suggest you're reading between non-existent lines. All I said was that the application of the law could become interesting.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 01:00:57 PM »
here's for you guys that cant forget.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »
In addition, what distinguishes the Martin Act from other securities laws across the United States is its unusually broad scope. To prove a violation under the Act, New York state is not required to prove a given action was intentional; it must simply prove that a company has misrepresented or omitted a material fact or engaged in other conduct which deceives or misleads the public, or even tends to deceive or mislead the public.

Additionally, under the Martin Act, the NY AG can investigate, issue subpoenas and demand corporations produce documents without probable cause or the ruling of a grand jury. The state is not required to provide proof of scienter (intent or knowledge of wrongdoing), damages to the public, or reasonable reliance (what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another).

CRITICISM OF THE MARTIN ACT
Troublingly, the Martin Act also allows the NY AG to subpoena witnesses to appear for an interview, or to provide written statements or documents, without going before a grand jury. Because these subpoenas are purely “investigatory,” witnesses subpoenaed by the attorney general cannot claim a right to counsel or the right against self-incrimination.

Legal experts have vocalized concerns that the Martin Act is an overreach of the state’s authority. Without needing to prove malicious intent, the NY AG has the ability to prosecute a company through an almost limitless scope, threatening the balance between state and federal authority.

Very accurate summary, Hungry
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 06:05:26 PM »
Clue look up the parody of this Martin act for who will be targeted

https://youtu.be/FYbavuReVF4

Eagler

Clue is a SNL skit with Steve Martin about King Tut  :headscratch:

Guess I’m not good with clues lol, unless they’re going after Egyptians for some reason. However, that doesn’t sound political in nature

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 06:22:58 PM »
Very accurate summary, Hungry

a police officer can come to your house and ask questions because somebody believes a crime has happen, that's pure investigatory, they just asking questions if a crime was committed or not. based on the facts they gather then it's up to the da to decide if a crime has been committed. not any different than the martin act.  she cant prosecute it, but if a crime has been committed she can send all relevant info to whoever can.

it's just that simple.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 06:42:44 PM »
a police officer can come to your house and ask questions because somebody believes a crime has happen, that's pure investigatory, they just asking questions if a crime was committed or not. based on the facts they gather then it's up to the da to decide if a crime has been committed. not any different than the martin act.  she cant prosecute it, but if a crime has been committed she can send all relevant info to whoever can.

it's just that simple.

semp

issue subpoenas and demand corporations produce documents without probable cause or the ruling of a grand jury. The state is not required to provide proof of scienter (intent or knowledge of wrongdoing), damages to the public, or reasonable reliance (what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another).