Author Topic: The Martin Act  (Read 2888 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Martin Act
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 06:52:28 PM »
issue subpoenas and demand corporations produce documents without probable cause or the ruling of a grand jury. The state is not required to provide proof of scienter (intent or knowledge of wrongdoing), damages to the public, or reasonable reliance (what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another).

but in this specific case somebody did say my property is worth more to get a loan then claim it's worth less to pay less taxes.  that's probable cause.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 07:16:06 PM »
issue subpoenas and demand corporations produce documents without probable cause or the ruling of a grand jury. The state is not required to provide proof of scienter (intent or knowledge of wrongdoing), damages to the public, or reasonable reliance (what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another).

Further to Semp's point, debating the application of the law accomplishes little more than complaining that the 25 mph speed limit on Main street in your hometown is unfair to drivers. Don't like the law? File an argument before SCOTUS.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 07:36:03 PM »
but in this specific case somebody did say my property is worth more to get a loan then claim it's worth less to pay less taxes.  that's probable cause.

semp

Ok, but the Martin Act doesnt need probable cause, what are you trying to compare????
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2022, 08:04:47 PM »
Ok, but the Martin Act doesnt need probable cause, what are you trying to compare????

how can you say that your buildings are worth more to get a  better loan but at the same time claim that your buildings are worth less to pay less taxes.  that looks like probable cause to me.  dont you see that?

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 08:13:34 PM »
just to explain to you in every state there's laws where you cannot lie on a loan to get better terms, so if you say your property is worth more, then you go to the state and claim your property is worth less to pay less property taxes.  so who did you lie to, the financial companies or the state or local property tax.

semp

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 11:46:58 PM »
Further to Semp's point, debating the application of the law accomplishes little more than complaining that the 25 mph speed limit on Main street in your hometown is unfair to drivers. Don't like the law? File an argument before SCOTUS.

Laws like that aren't sexy, but they can have teeth.

They didn't get Capone on murder, or extortion, or racketeering.  They got him on tax evasion. 

Whatever works.  He still died in a prison cell of syphilis raging like a lunatic.  Justice served.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2022, 07:46:08 AM »
Who has the state of NY been targeting since 2016?

It should be interesting if not criminal

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2022, 08:24:19 AM »
how can you say that your buildings are worth more to get a  better loan but at the same time claim that your buildings are worth less to pay less taxes.  that looks like probable cause to me.  dont you see that?

semp

Don't you see that. lol so again what are you trying to compare or are you just trying to make an irrelevant point to come off as relevant?

What you mention is a crime, probable cause, so what's that have to do with the Martin Act not needing probable cause

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 08:31:09 AM »
just to explain to you in every state there's laws where you cannot lie on a loan to get better terms, so if you say your property is worth more, then you go to the state and claim your property is worth less to pay less property taxes.  so who did you lie to, the financial companies or the state or local property tax.

semp

Explain to me, hehe, gee I didn't know that if you purger yourself on a loan application or your taxes its considered a crime, this is like a conversation from another planet, dont be surprised if I dont respond anymore, I should have known better in the first place.  I also know by me not further responding it opens you up to post a ranting comeback but thats ok too have at it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 08:43:10 AM by Hungry »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »
Explain to me, hehe, gee I didn't know that if you purger yourself on a loan application or your taxes its considered a crime, this is like a conversation from another planet, dont be surprised if I dont respond anymore, I should have known better in the first place.  I also know by me not further responding it opens you up to post a ranting comeback but thats ok too have at it.

I went back to the web sites I read, turns out the several stories I read were based on a satirical website but had been modified to change as if they had appeared in leading newspapers.

my bad.

semp

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 12:10:43 PM »

semp

Absent the issue of probably cause and attempt to defraud....

In the 1980s I was in the business of selling and erecting metal buildings, so when it came time to build my house, I started with a metal building.  It was a great plan and I wound up building a house for $28/square foot, when the going construction costs were about $80/ft(2).   Ah, but the bank said, "It's a metal sided building, so we can only loan money on it as if it's a mobile home."  What?  No axle, no frame, no tongue, no mobile home.  "Sorry, mobile home loan is all you get."  But the Tax Commissioner (who happened to be a relative - small town, right?) said, "No, we can't tax it like a mobile home because it's on a concrete slab."

Trust me, if I could have figured out a way to get a) a lower rate loan and b) a lower tax rate, I would have.  It could not be done.  Eventually I sold the place and moved on. 
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 12:34:40 PM »
Absent the issue of probably cause and attempt to defraud....

In the 1980s I was in the business of selling and erecting metal buildings, so when it came time to build my house, I started with a metal building.  It was a great plan and I wound up building a house for $28/square foot, when the going construction costs were about $80/ft(2).   Ah, but the bank said, "It's a metal sided building, so we can only loan money on it as if it's a mobile home."  What?  No axle, no frame, no tongue, no mobile home.  "Sorry, mobile home loan is all you get."  But the Tax Commissioner (who happened to be a relative - small town, right?) said, "No, we can't tax it like a mobile home because it's on a concrete slab."

Trust me, if I could have figured out a way to get a) a lower rate loan and b) a lower tax rate, I would have.  It could not be done.  Eventually I sold the place and moved on.

used to work in palm springs, somebody had idea to use metal studs, was hard trying to replace windows and doors as usually owners didn't know about the metal studs.

guess laws are weird or maybe misapplied they never had a problem getting a loan. but there were other communities that had basically a mobile home installed on a concrete slab, not your typical mobile home, they were beautiful great neighborhood, those had to get a special loan we couldn't touch them, walls  were only 3 inches thick. to me the only difference between one and the other was the thickness of the studs.

weird,

semp

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2022, 03:49:09 PM »
Seems that the Martin Act will soon be front and center in the news.
The Martin Act has been on the books in New York State for over 100 years.  it's not new.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »
The Martin act has been on the books for over 100 years. it only applies to publicly traded companies. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
The Martin act has been on the books for over 100 years. it only applies to publicly traded companies.

You may know more than I but I don't see anything in the Act that limits fraudulent investigations exclusively to "publicly traded" corporations.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.