Author Topic: EW, MW, & LW revival suggestion  (Read 2161 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
EW, MW, & LW revival suggestion
« on: March 04, 2022, 07:27:24 PM »
I have no clue what this would take but had a random thought hit me and wanted to put this out there and see what the masses think.

This would actually open up some possibilities for advertising I think also.

My suggestion is this:

Recreate the EW, MW, and LW.

Early War - use same programming as we had with early stage of AH2 (the old town that took 100% to white flag)

Mid War - use same programming as we had with late stage of AH2 (current town that takes 90% to white flag)

Late war - current MA

I know that EW had a very small following.  The limited plane set could be used as a marketing tactic to draw in new players.  Perhaps make EW credit card free, and a 3 month free trial.  I’m not tech savvy but isn’t there a way to ping the IP address so once they get the free trial, they can never switch things and come back for another 3?  And they would be committed exclusively to EW.

Then, MW can be used for 1 month free (either after EW is used up or in conjunction with). 

Then LW, standard setup as we have now with free 2 weeks. 

Players with a paid account can access all 3 arenas.

I am sure that EW and MW would always have lower numbers, as they were before.  Just use them as a way to get potentially new players hooked and wanting more.  I think the 3 months in EW gives the opportunity for getting past the steep learning curve enough to subscribe without intimidation of the stressors of the LW. 

Personally, I preferred the MW as a place to learn.  The fights can be better and more 1v1 play happens there.  In addition, players tend to take new players under their wing in there than anything I’ve seen in LW.  It’s also a great place for FSO squads to practice in a more realistic environment. 

As much as I prefer and enjoy flying my favorite plane sets (F6F) it is near impossible to fight against most LW style planes.  Particularly against the skilled LW cannon Jockies.

I’ve been playing since 2008.  Most players I know from the MW days left the game.  They simply didn’t enjoy the LW and many had computers that can not handle AH3.  Would it be possible to set up an EW and MW arena with the AH2 settings? 

I don’t know the first thing about programming and coding but thought I’d bring up the idea while I was thinking about it. 

Thanks for reading.

<<S>> SlipKnoT
AKSlpKnT
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: EW, MW, & LW revival suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 06:50:38 AM »
Great ideas but I see it as it would only be worth doing if the additional work was profitable..

It would have to draw the additional subscribers to cover the additional expense in time and hardware

I am all for MW over LW .. it was the best in its day

I would like to see the plane sets limited by the map so we could enjoy them all 3 now in MA ..

If someone didn't like the planeset/map combo, they just have to wait for the map to be won for a different experience

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 08:03:31 AM »
HiTech has a massive list of emails of everyone who has ever played Aces High, or at least they should have...

If it were me, I would send mass emails out to everyone who ever played and is not a current subscriber...  Offer a free month, or whatever...  Include testimonials from actual players, choose some of the long term recognizable names...  Talk about VR and how cool it is to feel like you are sitting in the cockpit.

Such a campaign would cost almost nothing, and I would wager that it would draw a fair number of people back into the game.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
Im against anything that splits the already low numbers we have in the MA now. Sure Id love to be able to compete in the MA while flying an F6F, one of my favorite planes from AW, but the only way that is going to happen is if HTC removed all the uber planes in the set and just didnt have any late war monsters anymore. Not going to happen.

If we had 500-600 players in the MA weeknights I could see a return to the EW, MW, LW splits but again, we just dont have the numbers, Not going to happen.

There are 3 major issues with the game these days....
  • Big learning curve. Easy to get started but tough to get good
  • Sharks, long time players in LW monsters eating all the prey
  • Toxic Atmosphere, again mostly long time players beating on newbies for not "playing right"

Game adjustments like these, other than the Emails to call back more sharks  :D isnt going to help much. The game needs more players.....period. Giving away 6 months free, or having a sub-set of free planes in the MA could bring in players but it would need to be advertised. Rebranded, maybe

ACES HIGH 4!
Fully VR optimized!

Free limited planeset available in the Main arena for ever!

Learn to fly against some of the best WWII simulation pilots in the world in over 100 beautifully rendered aircraft, in a full on world running 24/7!
Engage with aircraft launched from player guided aircraft carriers! Bombbard shore line base with Battleship battle groups! Bomb strategic targets deep behind enemy lines in 3 plane bomber formations controlled by a single player!

Maybe it would generate some intrest. Maybe they could get more people in the arena staying a bit longer. Maybe there could be a way to get the sharks limited, must get 50 kills in MW planes before they can fly LW monsters again that month. We need more players.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:31:19 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 10:41:23 AM »
HiTech has a massive list of emails of everyone who has ever played Aces High, or at least they should have...

If it were me, I would send mass emails out to everyone who ever played and is not a current subscriber...  Offer a free month, or whatever...  Include testimonials from actual players, choose some of the long term recognizable names...  Talk about VR and how cool it is to feel like you are sitting in the cockpit.

Such a campaign would cost almost nothing, and I would wager that it would draw a fair number of people back into the game.

A news letter would be a fantastic idea.  If Hitech was interested in a monthly email I’d be happy to generate something for him to send out.

Perhaps stick with it all being current AH3 for each arena and just tweak each arena for requirements to white flag a town.  EW 100% to WF, mid war 90%, LW as it is now.  There is no doubt that people would run maps like before but if you’re outnumbered it is defendable off the attacker needs to kill more buildings to white flag.  I like your idea on a newsletter campaign.  I like it a lot!!!

I don’t know anything about press release graphics but I can come up with the language.  I don’t think it would be cost prohibitive at all. 

And the VR experience is incredible.  A total game changer.  When I first started playing, I had a $300 Walmart special computer and stick.  By todays gaming standards (for any game) you have to have a beefed up system to handle the graphics and game play. 

I started flying in DCS last year and am part of a virtual carrier group in a Marine Squadron flying the AV8B Harrier.  It amazes me how many people are there.  It tells me that if someone is passionate about combat flight sims, they will spend the money. 

I’ve invested over $4000 into my new system last year to handle my nasty gaming habit.  In DCS alone, I’ve spent about $400 in planes, maps, and campaigns.  And it is worth every penny.  Honestly, at $15 to $20 a month for AH3, to basically fly anything you want, more people would fly if they knew about it.  Many people I know in DCS never heard of AH3 so I’ve been spreading the word. 

Again, I’ve flown multiplayer in DCS.  Many of the servers don’t have more than 3 to 4 people at a time in them.  Setting up EW and MW would have curb appeal to that player base IMHO.  And I think we would get a lot of older players to come back. 

HiTech, if you’re reading this and you’re interested in some sort of news letter, PM me and I’ll volunteer to help with it.  You’ve been really good to me over the years and I’d like to help if I can.  Do you have an email list of past and present players that you could send out if we were to create a news letter?  Of course you would have to be the one to send it out.  The list of clients is yours and yours alone.  Your business so you get final editorial decisions to send a blast. 

Let me know and I’ll jump on it this week.
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 10:51:09 AM »
Im against anything that splits the already low numbers we have in the MA now. Sure Id love to be able to compete in the MA while flying an F6F, one of my favorite planes from AW, but the only way that is going to happen is if HTC removed all the uber planes in the set and just didnt have any late war monsters anymore. Not going to happen.

If we had 500-600 players in the MA weeknights I could see a return to the EW, MW, LW splits but again, we just dont have the numbers, Not going to happen.

There are 3 major issues with the game these days....
  • Big learning curve. Easy to get started but tough to get good
  • Sharks, long time players in LW monsters eating all the prey
  • Toxic Atmosphere, again mostly long time players beating on newbies for not "playing right"

Game adjustments like these, other than the Emails to call back more sharks  :D isnt going to help much. The game needs more players.....period. Giving away 6 months free, or having a sub-set of free planes in the MA could bring in players but it would need to be advertised. Rebranded, maybe

ACES HIGH 4!
Fully VR optimized!

Free limited planeset available in the Main arena for ever!

Learn to fly against some of the best WWII simulation pilots in the world in over 100 beautifully rendered aircraft, in a full on world running 24/7!
Engage with aircraft launched from player guided aircraft carriers! Bombbard shore line base with Battleship battle groups! Bomb strategic targets deep behind enemy lines in 3 plane bomber formations controlled by a single player!

Maybe it would generate some intrest. Maybe they could get more people in the arena staying a bit longer. Maybe there could be a way to get the sharks limited, must get 50 kills in MW planes before they can fly LW monsters again that month. We need more players.

I love this also!  Maybe drop the notion of EW and still create MW.  Some sort of live MA for new players to go without having to go thru the humility of our current MA.  If I didn’t have the experiences I had in MW, and was thrusted into the MA as it is today, I would not have continued playing from the beginning.  It’s just too much at once.  There needs to be an arena for newer players to cut their teeth and develop thru that learning curve.  In MW, people were more willing to help new players understand the game, develop strategies and tactics.  It literally taught me how to play the game from every aspect it was intended.  It is much slower paced and takes the pressure off the new players and allows time to develop. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 11:27:05 AM »
Maps with limited plansets

One map MW then the next reg MA next map EW next map regular MA ..rinse and repeat

Maybe smaller maps for earlier slower planeset

I would think you'd get the same numbers or more as word of this change got out

Limited planesets changes everything and would add a variety to gameplay that is not there with todays MA configuration IMO

Not sure how hard that would be to implement/test

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 11:36:23 AM »
Maps with limited plansets

One map MW then the next reg MA next map EW next map regular MA ..rinse and repeat

Maybe smaller maps for earlier slower planeset

I would think you'd get the same numbers or more as word of this change got out

Limited planesets changes everything and would add a variety to gameplay that is not there with todays MA configuration IMO

Not sure how hard that would be to implement/test

Eagler

Initial set up would be setting the plane sets per map.  Some effort but nothing too complex IMHO. 

I need to learn the art of making maps.  I wouldn’t mind implementing smaller variations of some of the maps we use in FSO, just make them smaller and 3 sided.  I’ll have to start looking into that again. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 11:53:38 AM »
Initial set up would be setting the plane sets per map.  Some effort but nothing too complex IMHO. 

I need to learn the art of making maps.  I wouldn’t mind implementing smaller variations of some of the maps we use in FSO, just make them smaller and 3 sided.  I’ll have to start looking into that again.

Start with a MW Custom Arena.  If you can pull 16 players regularly, you'd have more leverage to convince HT a MW arena would get used.

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 06:00:23 PM »
I'm interested in this post because...

I began playing Ah2 in 2014 when I retired at 65. I got my keester kicked right from the get go in LW. Found the MidWar arena and a great bunch of guys including one named "Shuffler" and many others including the "Regulators" who kindly taught me the game/sim.

The numbers were higher back then, I get it. However, it was a great way to learn the game. I do miss it. BTW, I still get my keester kicked!

Just my thoughts...Now TangoRay in game.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 06:39:18 AM »
Numbers not high enough to split into different arenas anymore...

Game play should cycle different map/planeset so the game and strategies change and would vary with each different combination with each map change..I would look forward to the map change more myself..right now it doesn't matter to me as the next map is just more of the same

Can't do anything but increase gameplay variety in IMO

Eagler

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »
Numbers not high enough to split into different arenas anymore...

Game play should cycle different map/planeset so the game and strategies change and would vary with each different combination with each map change..I would look forward to the map change more myself..right now it doesn't matter to me as the next map is just more of the same

Can't do anything but increase gameplay variety in IMO

Eagler

Eagler, have you found any films yet?   :D

A news letter would be a fantastic idea.  If Hitech was interested in a monthly email I’d be happy to generate something for him to send out.

Perhaps stick with it all being current AH3 for each arena and just tweak each arena for requirements to white flag a town.  EW 100% to WF, mid war 90%, LW as it is now.  There is no doubt that people would run maps like before but if you’re outnumbered it is defendable off the attacker needs to kill more buildings to white flag.  I like your idea on a newsletter campaign.  I like it a lot!!!

I don’t know anything about press release graphics but I can come up with the language.  I don’t think it would be cost prohibitive at all. 

And the VR experience is incredible.  A total game changer.  When I first started playing, I had a $300 Walmart special computer and stick.  By todays gaming standards (for any game) you have to have a beefed up system to handle the graphics and game play. 

I started flying in DCS last year and am part of a virtual carrier group in a Marine Squadron flying the AV8B Harrier.  It amazes me how many people are there.  It tells me that if someone is passionate about combat flight sims, they will spend the money. 

I’ve invested over $4000 into my new system last year to handle my nasty gaming habit.  In DCS alone, I’ve spent about $400 in planes, maps, and campaigns.  And it is worth every penny.  Honestly, at $15 to $20 a month for AH3, to basically fly anything you want, more people would fly if they knew about it.  Many people I know in DCS never heard of AH3 so I’ve been spreading the word. 

Again, I’ve flown multiplayer in DCS.  Many of the servers don’t have more than 3 to 4 people at a time in them.  Setting up EW and MW would have curb appeal to that player base IMHO.  And I think we would get a lot of older players to come back. 

HiTech, if you’re reading this and you’re interested in some sort of news letter, PM me and I’ll volunteer to help with it.  You’ve been really good to me over the years and I’d like to help if I can.  Do you have an email list of past and present players that you could send out if we were to create a news letter?  Of course you would have to be the one to send it out.  The list of clients is yours and yours alone.  Your business so you get final editorial decisions to send a blast. 

Let me know and I’ll jump on it this week.

I dont think anyone can use the "my computer cant run AH3" excuse any more. Computers have come a long way since 2016 (when AH3 came out, I think), Even now a couple guys have posted that they bought a few laptops off Ebay so they can ru 2nd and 3rd accounts for bigger bomber raids. $300-400 these days can buy a computer to run AH with out issue, $700-800 for one that will run VR.

I think the biggest issue it time. Time in game to learn to be average and have a chance to win a fight. AW had a training arena. Once you hit 10,00 points you were considered practiced enough to try your hand in the Main arenas and the training arena would no longer supply you with ammo for your guns. The way the sharks couldnt come in and wipe out players and they more often than not played against other players of some what comparible skill.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »
+1

I like free EW for non-customers. Yay for more numbers!  :pray

PLUS, a percent of the free players would become paying customers!   :aok
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »
If MW is your game try out MNM tonight for a fresh change

Eagler

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 11:57:49 AM »
Eagler...MNM is fun,wild and a blast. Agree there.

With other almost empty arenas already here...why not replace one and just see what happens.