Author Topic: EW, MW, & LW revival suggestion  (Read 2162 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Re: EW, MW, & LW revival suggestion
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2022, 02:08:22 PM »
If MW is your game try out MNM tonight for a fresh change

Eagler

Arabian Knights do squad night Monday nights.  We’ve discussed doing MNM once a month.  Quite frankly, I spent over $4000 on a new rig and gear last year.  The planes I love from WW2 are not the best planes in the MA.  I struggle to enjoy myself in the MA as of late.  I just don’t like the Uber planes that are available and when you get overwhelmed by big numbers in Uber planes, I tend to give up and shut it down. 

What I recalled from the earlier days is that in MW, sure people ran lopsided numbers on the maps.  However, one could up and defend pretty well.  You would fight more personal 1v1 or 2 v 1 fights and develop better skills.  It was literally like LW on a smaller scale. 

I was thinking my wishlist suggestion could draw in more people in that format (or something similar). 

Sure, the numbers appear to be low compared to what it used to be.  I can verify that over half of the old VF15 Satans Playmates stopped playing because either MW was taken away or because most of them couldn’t afford to upgrade.  No matter how you slice it, that is what happened.

I discovered DCS last year.  Once I figured out how things work in that environment, I truly enjoy it.  Most of the people I communicate with in there invest a lot of money for their combat sim experience.  Almost all of them never heard of AH3,  in fact they even have a following of WW2 planes (Europe).  Currently they are limited to the P51, Mossi, and Fw190.  And people are participating.  IMHO, AH3 is so much better regarding game play and there is no reason many DCS players wouldn’t also set up an account and start flying here also. 

Even if Hitech would simply open up EW to new potential customers for 3 months or so for free.  Allow them to accumulate Perk points but can’t use them without a paid account.  Open up MW for a month under similar circumstances.  Many new players would cut their teeth in there and most veteran players in those two arenas actually take new players under their wing and help teach newer players there.  Most usually leave MW and EW for the LW.  Many start to participate in special event so and FSO. 

I just think it could change the dynamic of recruiting new players.  I always try to advocate for AH3 and generate more people to check us out.  Admittedly, my participation in the MA has plummeted because I can’t fly the planes I like without getting out classed by better planes flown by players that make their payday with single kill passes.  I’ve known some with the ability to make a single pass in a P51 (b&d) on my B17s, and splash 2 of my 3 ship formation.  Somehow I am missing them from my guns.  I also go after B17s in the same plane and I am dumping half my ammo just to cripple or kill a single B17.  I’ve been playing since 2008.  I have a beefed up system and solid internet connection.  Yet I seem to struggle more than I should.  Different conversation for a different thread I suppose.

I do feel it possible to draw more people in (and perhaps older former players) if Hitech were to revive EW and MW.  Some have contended we can make our own arenas.  True.  However there is no reward for it.  No perkies.  And quite frankly, when I see an arena set up by another player, it is usually set up for a squad.  I rarely ever look to see what is there.  So I never join one. 

In my opinion, MW was the perfect balance for everything AH3 is.  Base taking, tanking, bombing, troop transportation, and air to air fighting.  It is just my perspective from my observations. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 06:11:48 AM »
I like the 109f the best in AH but its rare to get a setup in there that you can enjoy that plane due to the LW planes and gang play in MA these days..

So the 109f is for low number engagements if fights can be found then without flying around for 30 min to find a fight...

Or if the numbers are not too crazy I go for the 109g2 with gonds.
Then anything goes and you start getting the you hoed whines as they want you to turn fight their spit or hog and/or their 3 buddies...

If I want any real chance to land kills I usually fly the 109k as with it's speed with enough alt you can sometimes outrun the hordes.

Early morning east coast in MW are some of my best a2a memories and that was with just a couple of great guys who consistently showed up and engaged with respect

<S> Tankman2

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 01:06:45 PM »
I would love to see the MW arena, the fights would be a lot more fun with MW planes only.

The only way it would work, is on a small map with about 5 bases  each that had about 10 mile bases. 2 teams only. This would ensure combat action and skirmishes. It's when you have to fly 17 miles from a back field to defend your base only to die quickly is when it makes the MW game play too slow (which was the main problem with the original as it was an even slower version of the MA). MW on a smaller closer quarters map where both teams can easily engage quickly and defend their bases more quickly would make it a fun arena for quicker gameplay. Something that AH is desperately missing.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 09:21:34 PM »
I would love to see the MW arena, the fights would be a lot more fun with MW planes only.

The only way it would work, is on a small map with about 5 bases  each that had about 10 mile bases. 2 teams only. This would ensure combat action and skirmishes. It's when you have to fly 17 miles from a back field to defend your base only to die quickly is when it makes the MW game play too slow (which was the main problem with the original as it was an even slower version of the MA). MW on a smaller closer quarters map where both teams can easily engage quickly and defend their bases more quickly would make it a fun arena for quicker gameplay. Something that AH is desperately missing.

MW always had the small maps.  There were, of course the base takers and they all migrated to one side most of the time.  I always flew Knight in there.  I learned strategy, tactics, and how to win in MW.  I eventually started to get better with SA and ACM.  Lots of talent flew in there.  I do truly believe that you find really good fights rather quickly as there aren't as many people in there and all you had to do is either up and defend against 2 to 4 planes or fly to a base with DARBAR. 

I think that with the ground (GV) dar and the way the radar is set up now (can see landed C47s when you get close), it would be a little more difficult to roll a map.  Though, it was fun to roll maps, or defend against rolling of maps.  If the sides were lop sided (and they usually were), and you are defending, you rack up the perk points FAST because the way ENY is set up.

My best memories of AH3 are from MW.  I made some really good friends in there I am still in contact with today.  Maybe scrap the EW idea but add a MW for a little less intense (LW planes) action.  It does make sense to me and I do think it could generate more players to build tenure. 
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 06:49:57 AM »
I would be for a rolling planeset tied to map size..

Have the map determine what planeset is available with it changing with each map reset

You could have ew, mw, lw, ew with mw, mw with lw and  ma (all 3)

The earlier (slower) the planes the smaller the map

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals