Author Topic: Oculus and CH  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Oculus and CH
« on: March 05, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »
I want my stick, my throttle, and my pedals all CH.  I just like the feel of actually having my hands on the controls.  I don't need detail right now but will later this year.  Is there some kind of magic I need to do to use oculus for just vision, sound, and vox, while having your hands on actual controllers.  A simple yes or no will do for now. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Oculus and CH
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »
Yeah sure, no magic. Hotas is for flying, the HMD is for looking around. Usually they have a mic and sound built in. I have a RiftS. The mic works fine, I have a third party set of speakers that clip onto the halo band and plug into the headset that provide far better sound quality.

You can get CH gear still but be advised the CH stuff you're getting today ain't the same stuff we used to get back in the day when it was the best of the best. QC has taken a sharp drop, can't say in recent years as it's been that way for many years now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »
I use the quest2 with CH throttle and pedals with a warthog stick (much better than the CH stick). I just hang my Quest controllers from the arm rest on my chair so as to not set off the proximity warning for my play zone.

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 06:51:00 PM »
I want my stick, my throttle, and my pedals all CH.  I just like the feel of actually having my hands on the controls.  I don't need detail right now but will later this year.  Is there some kind of magic I need to do to use oculus for just vision, sound, and vox, while having your hands on actual controllers.  A simple yes or no will do for now.

I dont recommend using your Oculus for voice...  For me, it causes a freeze/stutter that is intolerable.  I bought an inexpensive headphone/mic combo that fits over the Oculus and plugs into a USB port on my computer.  No more stutter/freeze

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
I used my Oculus CV1 without issue with all CH flight controls.  The mic on that one worked well for me.   

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 10:12:41 AM »
I dont recommend using your Oculus for voice...  For me, it causes a freeze/stutter that is intolerable.  I bought an inexpensive headphone/mic combo that fits over the Oculus and plugs into a USB port on my computer.  No more stutter/freeze

I use the mic and speakers on the Quest2 and have no problems with stutter or freezes.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 01:06:56 PM »

That's a common issue if you have the wrong device selected in AH. I think it's the virtual oculus mic (or visa versa).

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 01:14:16 PM »
Aces high switches my headsets. When I put the the rift on the game switches from using my standard headset to using the oculus.

I have never changed any settings for it to do that.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 01:15:02 PM »
Oh yeah watch out for that. The oculus virtual audio device gets added in oculus software updates since the Quests were added wth those headsets having a wireless mode. When I bought the RiftS there were a few updates to it but once the Quest was released they kinda homogenized the software across all their headsets and that was a result. If you're never going to use the wireless mode (and you probably shouldn't in PC games for better performance IMO) go into the windows device manager and disable it. Be advised it tends to come back after updates so might want to check there afterwards in case it comes back.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 01:23:53 PM »
Oh yeah watch out for that. The oculus virtual audio device gets added in oculus software updates since the Quests were added wth those headsets having a wireless mode. When I bought the RiftS there were a few updates to it but once the Quest was released they kinda homogenized the software across all their headsets and that was a result. If you're never going to use the wireless mode (and you probably shouldn't in PC games for better performance IMO) go into the windows device manager and disable it. Be advised it tends to come back after updates so might want to check there afterwards in case it comes back.

I was going to upgrade to the Oculus quest 2 from the rift.

A friend of mine has the quest 2 and says it has problems rendering when its plugged into his PC. Like its a conflict with the video card in the PC.

Any thought?
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
Don't have one but I don't see why it would. It's made to do that when the cable is used. Probably a setting somewhere.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 07:07:16 PM »
Yeah sure, no magic. Hotas is for flying, the HMD is for looking around. Usually they have a mic and sound built in. I have a RiftS. The mic works fine, I have a third party set of speakers that clip onto the halo band and plug into the headset that provide far better sound quality.

You can get CH gear still but be advised the CH stuff you're getting today ain't the same stuff we used to get back in the day when it was the best of the best. QC has taken a sharp drop, can't say in recent years as it's been that way for many years now.

That's sad to hear.  I loved my old CH setup.  Got another recommendation?  I want stick, throttle, and pedals.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute