Author Topic: The Butcher's Bill, One Month In  (Read 2944 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
The Butcher's Bill, One Month In
« on: March 27, 2022, 08:36:25 AM »
Out of 120 battalion tactical groups deployed on Day 1, twenty have been completely annihilated.  Not a single vehicle is left.

Russia is attempting to draw tank reserves from long-term storage depots, but is finding 9 out of 10 of the tanks are unusable due to cannibalization of parts like engines, drive wheels, and autoloaders, or outright theft of parts and circuit boards that contain precious metals.  Upon learning this past week that his tank reserve was non-existent, the commander of Russia's 4th Guards Tank Division (whose depot is located in suburban Moscow), Colonel Yevgeny Nikolayevich Zhuravlyov, shot himself in the head.  The 4th Tank Guards Division is part of the 1st Guards Tank Army, which has seen wild turnover at the top command slot in the last 3 weeks. 

Nearly 1900 Russian combat vehicles of all types have been lost, representing close to 20% of the armor that crossed into Ukraine 4 weeks ago at the start of the war.  688 of those vehicles were captured intact by Ukraine, and are now part of the Ukrainian Army.

Morale in the lower ranks is plummeting.  In the 37th Motorized Rifle Brigade, morale is so low that a tank driver ran over his commander with his tank.  Reports say Colonel Yuri Medvedev lived for a short while and then died of injuries sustained from the attack.  The mutinous attack was reportedly triggered by the frustration brewing within the ranks resulting from a recent battle where half of the brigade's vehicles and personnel were lost and left behind.

The Russian tradition of dedovshchina - the vicious hazing of conscripts by officers and non-comms - has resulted in morale so low among conscripts that they are being removed entirely from Ukraine in an attempt to stem the flow of desertions and abandonment of vehicles.  (25% of Russia's Army is made up of conscripts.)   

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Butcher's Bill, One Month In
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 08:49:00 AM »

This site has some interesting info:

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Robbler

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 06:03:30 PM »
I am curious if their nuclear deterrent is as shabby as their other equipment. Many of the wheeled vehicles blew out their tires because of a lack of maintenance.
The man of many names

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:19:41 AM »
You people are scary :)

The arrogance is astounding.

You think the Ukraine can defeat the Russians?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 12:59:43 PM »
You people are scary :)

The arrogance is astounding.

In the sense that Afghanistan "defeated" the Soviet Union.

Simply avoid capitulating and use the unlimited flow of weapons from the West to bleed Russia dry over time until their domestic political conditions become unstable and support for the operation becomes infeasible.

After that, we'll pour trillions into rebuilding Ukraine as a object lesson to the Russian people of how much better they would have it as a Western style democratic/market based society.  Like we did for W. Germany after WWII.  Also every single asset, private jet, yacht, vacation home, foreign deposit of Russia or it's oligarch's  we can lay hands on gets confiscated and applied to that effort.

In a decade or so, we can begin to discuss whether sanctions on Russia should be eased. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 02:05:59 PM »

After that, we'll pour trillions into rebuilding Ukraine as a object lesson to the Russian people of how much better they would have it as a Western style democratic/market based society.  Like we did for W. Germany after WWII.  Also every single asset, private jet, yacht, vacation home, foreign deposit of Russia or it's oligarch's  we can lay hands on gets confiscated and applied to that effort.

In a decade or so, we can begin to discuss whether sanctions on Russia should be eased. 

And Twenty years from now, Ukrainian made cars will be flooding our markets.  The Afghans just never got on that program.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 03:50:40 PM »
And Twenty years from now, Ukrainian made cars will be flooding our markets.  The Afghans just never got on that program.

The Afghans are culture locked.  They are the same as they were at the time of Alexander the Great.  The only thing that has changed is the weapons used.  No amount of money thrown at them will make a different until they change their own culture.  Nothing we do will make a difference.  They have to change organically.  That will take a couple of hundred years more.

Ukraine is a European culture.  Our system is not so foreign to them.  There is a much better chance of assistance actually doing some good there.  If we put the resources into it like we did West Germany, we would see similar results and it makes a great object lesson sitting on Russia's doorstep for it's citizens to stare at.  It's not a military threat Putin is scared of.  It's the juxtaposition of economic/political systems side by side.  It's the threat of comparison he fears. 

It's better to have countries as free, democratic, economic competitors. 

When was the last time two functioning democracies (especially trading partners) went to war against each other?  Not very often.  Usually one or both have to be an authoritarian of some type.  monarch, despot, junta, politburo, etc.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 04:36:23 PM »

unlikely, but you can bet your bottom dollar that lot of IT jobs will go there all right.
Similar to Poland they are cranking out engineers en masse.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 05:15:02 PM »
unlikely, but you can bet your bottom dollar that lot of IT jobs will go there all right.
Similar to Poland they are cranking out engineers en masse.

I had six polish welders on my crew for about 12 years.  They were the funnest, most hardworking guys in the company.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »

"Make it so they just have
to keep sending troops in,
keep sending money,
and troops, and money
until they just go out of their
f----g minds the way we
did in Vietnam."

Gust Avrikados, Charlie Wilson's War

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 05:28:22 PM »
Phase 1 whatever that was is over?

Phase 2?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 06:24:37 PM »
until they just go out of their
f----g minds the way we
did in Vietnam

Or the British in the American Revolution.  If it were existential for the Brits they would have just kept sending armies until they won.  We just made it expensive enough that any possible future economic benefit couldn't be worth the pain and cost. 

Eventually it was opposition back home that always decides it's had enough.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 06:59:16 AM »
America and Afghanistan...will bleed us dry for decades as we deal with trillions pumped into our fake economy to cover its debts

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Robbler

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 09:14:33 PM »
Russians and Ukrainians are just like the rest of us. If you watch videos of folks over there, they want what we want. They just want a life and a job and family and love..just like us, but our leaders(?) pit us against one another and it makes me sick. We are all so similar but the folks up top want to divide us. One day the masses will wake up but I fear that you and I will be dust by that time. <S>
The man of many names

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 02:23:42 AM »
Robbler what are you babbling about?

Russia and Ukraine are meeting in Turkey for cease fire talks.

Apologies you people can put your pitch forks down for the next pleb drama

When are you going to get angry about Assad in Syria? September

You people think the American civil war was fought to free slaves.

You will be telling me Dinosaurs we’re real next.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario