Author Topic: Beating a Deadhorse... The Incomplete Tempest  (Read 2822 times)

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
Beating a Deadhorse... The Incomplete Tempest
« on: April 16, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »
I discovered Aces High in 2017 (thanks to DubDubz), when I got my Oculus Rift. Been flying with my Touch Controllers since my first day in Aces High also. 5 years later and still using them. But this post is not about using touch controllers to fly. This is about something deeper, something that I just can't find an acceptable answer for and something that has been a huge disappointment for me for the past 5 years.

Ever since I can remember as a young boy the Hawker Tempest has been my all time favorite warbird of WWII. To me its like the musclecar of fighter/attackers.. If the Tempest was a 70's car, it would surely be the 70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6.. Its looks, it's engine, it's weapons.. They all just scream badazzzzzz. God, I love that friggen plane!!
Naturally, it was the first plane I wanted to fly when I got in Aces High and I couldn't wait till I made the perk points to fly it. It took me about a month to learn and earn enough to choose it. I was super excited and that day came when I chose the tempest in the hanger and launched on Runway North...
 All of a sudden I found myself sitting on the runway staring and looking all over the cockpit for my flight controls, only to be dumbfounded to realize that there was no flight stick or throttle in the cockpit.. I was really confused and bummed out by this. I was sure it was just a glitch or something with my downloaded planes. Figured, "heck, I'll just send a support request to HT and get it squared away in no time.
For the first year I sent an email to HT about once a month asking about the Tempest flight stick and throttle and never got a response.
Also during the first year I learned that HOTAS, Xbox Controller/Mouse controller users could fly the tempest without issue and only those handful of players like me using Touch Controllers to fly were being excluded from the ability to fly the Tempest. At that point it made sense to me why HT had not received tons of support requests about it because litterally it only effected less than 5 players.

Anyway, finally after about 15 months of asking HT about it, he finally replied to told me it was a carryover from AHI or II and hadn't been remodled with the flight stick and throttle. That was it, thats all he said so I assumed that soon it would be included in an update and problem solved.
Another year went by, then 2 years and still no updated tempest cockpit. 3 years, then 4 years since I started playing and still not flight stick or throttle in the Tempest. Got FW190 skin updates though which is cool I guess, but no flight controls for my all time favorite plane.

It's now been 5 years since I started playing Aces High and guess what, the Tempest is still the same AH-I carryover without any flight controls. That was 5 years ago. WHY?
Why haven't you updated the Tempest? In 5 years you couldn't find the time or resources to finish building Aces High III so all players have a complete version of the game to play? Literally every single other plane in the game has flight controls, What is the problem with the Tempest that prevents you from putting controls in it? I'm not a programmer but seriously? you couldnt add a flight stick and throttle to 1 plane in the game over the past 5 years?
 Im invested enough to be willing to hire a programmer/modeler to do it for you if thats what it takes. You have never given me an explanation for why it was not done or why you refuse to do it. It just makes no sense to me at all why any company would put an incomplete product to market and make no effort whatsoever to update it.
 I may be one of less than 5 players using touch that is excluded from the Tempest but that doesn't make it acceptable and it certainly doesn't allow for fair play in the game. If you offer touch controller support then it must be available for every plane/vehicle/boat in the game. If it doesn't, then it gives an unfair advantage to all other players.

After 5 years, I have just 2 simple requests and ask that you kindly choose one and implement it.

1.) Preferably, Update the Tempest with flight stick and throttle or provide me the tools to update it myself so I can fly the same planes as everybody else thus making the game fair for all..

OR

2.) Remove the Tempest from the hanger list of planes until such a time that is available for all players utilizing any or all of the optional supported controller methods.

If not everybody can equally fly the Tempest, then nobody should be able to fly the tempest. Its only fair.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Buzz "SAAMIAM" Lightyear

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Beating a Deadhorse... The Incomplete Tempest
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 02:19:53 AM »
Dont know about you?  I would be happy if the Tempest just used the same Cockpit as Typhoon. From what I have seen, the Cockpits were pretty much the same?    Surely that wouldnt be too hard? It might be way harder, what do I know? NOT MUCH. Surely, it wouldnt be a difficult as adding New Skins?  The files are already created?    Simple 'Copy & paste'? Especially for you Oculus/VR Controller users. For the rest of us, simply a Cosmetic Issue.  Asking for..uh err...aFriend/  aGhost 🤣
BW1stpar/ULcapkid/ Uncle to ULblizz   Post in Wish list,,, I am GOOD for a Case of Scotland's Finest(look at his posts- For Bribes Link) :aok
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 02:43:59 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 06:28:29 AM »
Instead of paying for the coding required to correct this as you say you offered, HT is probably wondering why you just don't drop $150 on a decent joystick and really see what it is all about

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 01:35:37 AM »
Instead of paying for the coding required to correct this as you say you offered, HT is probably wondering why you just don't drop $150 on a decent joystick and really see what it is all about

Eagler
Op gets under my skin a bit...but Tempest Cock Pit is pretty Archaic.  Does it Hinder Me? NOPE!!!...but I understand, why he has an issue.  Same for Dale(I understand)..Honey Draws more bees...Buzz sort of Cut his own neck as per NOT letting Family, help him, Sort His problems. "Just get a Cheap Joystick...you will see, if you do!"   NOPE!    Bridges were Burned...at least Tarnished :bolt: I would GLADLY finance the Tempest's Make-Over!!!   I have Fam in the 'Mary Kay Cosmetics', Avon...Etsy...FAMILY DISCOUNT!!!!!!   WIN WIN :rofl   Oops, I KNOW...not that kind of Cosmetics but Case of Scotland's Best....committed :devil STILL Cosmetic though :rofl Surely it couldnt be too hard to Copy Typhoon Cock Pit? Eh, no big deal, for me anyway.                                    On A FUNY Note/Situation...Thursday 4/21/22...'UNO' Card Game, saw me laying down NUMEROUS 'Draw +2s', 'WILD Draw 4s' and Skips, towards ULblizz...."OK EAGLER...enough!" 🤣  Went to the Wire...I couldnt Finish Her....just to get Shot Down...Blizz went out, with a Draw 4!!!! Last hand. :bhead  Dang it Sis...A Reverse!????    We have seen that before..between us havent we? :rofl  I much prefer her As My Partner, in 'Skip-Bo'  :rofl
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 02:09:13 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 07:23:46 AM »
Why can't you fly it? I can fly it fine in VR.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 08:11:29 AM »

The OP cant because he insists on using the VR controllers and the tempest doesnt have the VR controls in it.

I think at this point everyone should just give up on any new stuff for the game. The only updates we will see are skins as those are 100% built and vetted by players. Maps still look "iffy". I dont know how much work Hitech needs to do before releasing one, but I think he has 4 new maps sitting on his desk and has had them for some time and yet we havent see them. HTC hasnt had an "art" guy for years now. This is why those last few planes havent been updated nor have we seen any other  updates to other art such as trees and terrain, hit sprites and explosion graphics and such. 10 years ago what we have was cutting edge and was the best you could do without killing your bandwidth. Today, with better graphic cards, faster processors and wider band width Im sure we could see much better than we do.

No I think we are on "auto" for now. Well Hitech come back  and push the game again someday or continue to just keep it running? I dont know. I think his is in the best part of raising a family right now. His kids arent little crying poop machines, nor are they old enough to think they know better than everyone else so that sweet spot in the middle. I dont blame him for have fun while he can. As for his career, he may be bunrt out on AH and is into some other software gig. I hope he comes back, he may be working on something big in the background for the game, but I doubt it. WHile always being pretty tight with releasing any information he did let things slip now and then just to stir the pot. Hes been quite too long Im thinking.

If he doesnt come back, if he is burned out, I hope he finds someone who wants to buy the game lock, stock and barrel,and that has the passion that Hitech did when he first started it 20 years ago.

:cheers: Here's to "wishing"  :cheers:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 10:04:07 AM »
At least he was able to put together the best implementation of vr for ww2 air war IMO

The combo of icons, spotting, dar and hat views make it most enjoyable than either il2 or dcs

If either of those platforms provided those I might be able to save $15 a month ...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
At least he was able to put together the best implementation of vr for ww2 air war IMO

The combo of icons, spotting, dar and hat views make it most enjoyable than either il2 or dcs

If either of those platforms provided those I might be able to save $15 a month ...

Eagler

Agreed. even with the game being outdated without any game feature updates in years it is STILL the best air war type game out there.

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 02:04:05 AM »

Eagler
Eagler, I have a $300 HOTAS , You are suggesting that I stop using the method of controls that I enjoy using So I can fly a plane that is clearly unfinished, making the game incomplete? So what you are saying is just suck it up and move on? May I pay just 95% of the subscription cost to reflect the 95% complete product?
 You seem to think that I am too cheap to buy a HOTAS? I've been using Flight Sticks since the early 90's brother. I LIKE USING THE TOUCH to fly.. Its a personal choice. I literally cant believe you told me to just suck it up and be happy with the unfair advantage you have over me in th4e game.. Thanks Eagler.. Appreciate it.

P.S. Star,, I get under everybodies skin...

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 02:13:09 AM »
fl Surely it couldnt be too hard to Copy Typhoon Cock Pit? Eh, no big deal, for me anyway.

I think you are misunderstanding the issue. It's not cosmetic at all, It's function and a requirement to fly the plane.. Using the Oculus Touch Controllers to fly planes, drive tanks etc etc means literally reaching down and grabbing the cartoon flight stick that is inside the cartoon cockpit that we sit in while in VR. If its a bomber I need to grab the cartoon yoke, in an M3 it the cartoon steering wheel.
When you fly with your HOTAs, look at the flight stick in the cockpit. It will move in the direction you move y0ur HOTAS stick..
 If there is no flight stick in the cockpit for me to grab, then there is no way for me to control the plane, climb/bank/ roll etc etc..

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 02:15:57 AM »

Yes Spikes, you fly with a HOTAS in VR... Try flying the TEMPEST without your HOTAS, Use your touch controllers and tell me how it works out for ya.. As I said in the Original post, The tempest is flyable for every method of controls EXCept touch.. works with HOTAS, Mouse, Xbox controller..

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 02:19:24 AM »
The OP cant because he insists on using the VR controllers and the tempest doesnt have the VR controls in it.

If he doesnt come back, if he is burned out, I hope he finds someone who wants to buy the game lock, stock and barrel,and that has the passion that Hitech did when he first started it 20 years ago.

:cheers: Here's to "wishing"  :cheers:

If he would open source the code on Github and let the community of dev's contribute and update the game for hime.. Open Source is the way to go..

Offline BuzzLightyear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 02:21:47 AM »

Eagler

Hands down, without question Dale has set the standard for VR Flying.. And when it comes to flying with Touch, it shoud be the industry standard for all others to follow. Dale is a genius. IL2 cant touch AH nor can DCS or MSFS..

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 02:29:28 AM »
Yes Spikes, you fly with a HOTAS in VR... Try flying the TEMPEST without your HOTAS, Use your touch controllers and tell me how it works out for ya.. As I said in the Original post, The tempest is flyable for every method of controls EXCept touch.. works with HOTAS, Mouse, Xbox controller..

So how do you use the rudder then?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 12:26:08 AM »
I think you are misunderstanding the issue. It's not cosmetic at all, It's function and a requirement to fly the plane.. Using the Oculus Touch Controllers to fly planes, drive tanks etc etc means literally reaching down and grabbing the cartoon flight stick that is inside the cartoon cockpit that we sit in while in VR. If its a bomber I need to grab the cartoon yoke, in an M3 it the cartoon steering wheel.
When you fly with your HOTAs, look at the flight stick in the cockpit. It will move in the direction you move y0ur HOTAS stick..
 If there is no flight stick in the cockpit for me to grab, then there is no way for me to control the plane, climb/bank/ roll etc etc..
NO SIR!  I was referring to the fact that, TYPHOON has the 'Stick' modeled, and Cockpits are similar enough..that "Historically Centered" is close enough.