Author Topic: 262s on a Carrier, Am I the First?  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
262s on a Carrier, Am I the First?
« on: April 19, 2022, 07:23:12 PM »
Hiya! I'm callsign: Tig, and I'm rather new.
Now, for background, I'm not ignorant in the slightest to aircraft. I've been studying airplanes for 12 of the 16 years of my life (since I was 4), and am an Air Force JROTC cadet. Yep, I'm a young'un you could say!
I have flown a plane once, *not solo, and it was just a Cessna 172 Skyhawk. On weekends I meet up with the Special Kay bomber crew and work on the only airworthy Douglas A-26 Counter Invader left in the world. Yep, I do the real deal, I was in the cockpit doing gear swings just 3 days ago.  :cheers:

So anyway, I'm a bit of a daredevil in game, although I'm trying to improve my applied ACM tactics. When I'm not drilling ACM I'm usually doing something ridiculous, like threading a Spitfire down a city street at 400ish MPH between the buildings. Or flying Ta 152s and other Spits through field hangars at max speed(and not crashing, I might add).
I was experimenting a bit today, and I managed to pull off something I long thought impossible, and that is to make a Messerschmitt 262 take off from and land on an aircraft carrier!
Full disclosure, I have no clue if I'm the first or not, I was just amazed it worked!
It's about as simple as it sounds. I loaded the 262 onto the carrier deck, set the flaps to max, slammed the throttles to max, held the brakes, then let go! First few seconds is kinda sketchy, but I can retract the flaps pretty quickly.
The trick I've found to landing 262s on carriers is just minimal fuel. The extra weight makes it real hard to get a good glide slope and plant it slowly enough to actually stop before you run off the end of the deck. It's hard but possible to take off with full fuel, but you can't land a 262 on a carrier with full fuel, you gotta burn off most of it before it's safe.
But yes, in short, you can fly 262s on and off of carriers, you just have to max out the flaps and be a really precise pilot.  :aok

Anyone ever heard of doing this before? If I can ever muster up the guts to get the $15 sub I might try messing with people by flying 262s off carriers.....  :devil

(Pictures of the sortie coming soon....just as soon as I figure out how to upload them......
Turn n' Burn!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: 262s on a Carrier, Am I the First?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »
Impossible to do in most any online arena

But congratulations 🎊 👏

Welcome to Aces High, Tig!! The first 2 weeks are free

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 07:30:54 PM »
Why is that? Are the headwinds different?
Turn n' Burn!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 07:32:29 PM »
Why is that? Are the headwinds different?

262s never took off from Aircraft Carriers in WWII
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 07:33:42 PM »
Melee Arena is historical in the sense that only carrier-based aircraft can fly from carriers.

Welcome to AH! :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Ohhhh....
 :bhead
Go figure.

It's a shame too, would be real funny, plus we could pull Doolittle Raids if it were allowed!

Well, while I'm here, anyone have a go-to source for improving my ACM tactics? I've been drilling and practicing and drilling some more, but I still have a lot of issues once someone locks onto my six.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:36:38 PM by Tig »
Turn n' Burn!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 08:32:19 PM »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 04:38:02 AM »
offline you can do many things, once I took off in a b29, but I changed the winds so it could give me lift.  to be honest I kind of floated above the deck of the cv till I changed the winds.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 07:29:53 AM »
Welcome to Aces High. <S>
We’re here to help with anything AH related.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 08:19:44 AM »
“… and it was just a Cessna 172 Skyhawk.”, eh?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »
We used to fly our P38Js through the hangers inverted. Lots of fun. More so when at an enemy base that has not been decked.

Welcome to AH. Never forget to have fun.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rezdog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 01:21:56 PM »
Ohhhh....
 :bhead
Go figure.

It's a shame too, would be real funny, plus we could pull Doolittle Raids if it were allowed!

Well, while I'm here, anyone have a go-to source for improving my ACM tactics? I've been drilling and practicing and drilling some more, but I still have a lot of issues once someone locks onto my six.

Welcome Tig, hope you can join in the Main Arena.  AH was the source of a lot of fond memories and great friends made when I first started back in 05/06.  I'm sure there must be some ACM guides rattling around somewhere, but rules of thumb I try to keep in mind loosely based off the ACM guides from my old squad.   1. Don't climb to your opponent, just means be at the altitude and speed "E" that you intend to engage with cause you’re going to be using that E likely to bargain with if you’re not doing base defense or low-level fur-balling.  and 2. when being attacked from above turn and face the attack head on 3. Be aware of your energy state and the "E" state of your opponent this takes practice and time to learn the limits of each aircraft commonly used by others and yourself.  These are the rules I commonly break lol but benefit from when I pay more attention.  Also, don't be afraid to take less fuel if you base defend, or low-level fur-balling. Drop tanks are wonderful inventions, AH engagements can be very short distance, so no need for added weight that could be the difference from landing a shot or not in a turn fight.  Oh, and turn off the stall limiter if you haven't already, it holds you back.

Good luck,
<S> RezDog
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 01:31:17 PM by Rezdog »
RezDog
Unteroffizier - Jagdflieger
I/JG3 Udet (Hoenjager) C.O. Twodogs5

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
Welcome Tig, hope you can join in the Main Arena.  AH was the source of a lot of fond memories and great friends made when I first started back in 05/06.  I'm sure there must be some ACM guides rattling around somewhere, but rules of thumb I try to keep in mind loosely based off the ACM guides from my old squad.   1. Don't climb to your opponent, just means be at the altitude and speed "E" that you intend to engage with cause you’re going to be using that E likely to bargain with if you’re not doing base defense or low-level fur-balling.  and 2. when being attacked from above turn and face the attack head on 3. Be aware of your energy state and the "E" state of your opponent this takes practice and time to learn the limits of each aircraft commonly used by others and yourself.  These are the rules I commonly break lol but benefit from when I pay more attention.  Also, don't be afraid to take less fuel if you base defend, or low-level fur-balling. Drop tanks are wonderful inventions, AH engagements can be very short distance, so no need for added weight that could be the difference from landing a shot or not in a turn fight.  Oh, and turn off the stall limiter if you haven't already, it holds you back.

Good luck,
<S> RezDog

I dont agree with #2 ( when being attacked from above turn and face the attack head on). When they start diving on you start a nose low turn, tighten the turn more and more as they close. Just as they are about to shoot, pull up and roll out of the turn going into a barrel roll. The faster they are the tighter you want your roll. What happens is they will mis-judge thier aim due to the turn, and more than likely be close to blacking out. As you roll up and back into them you will get a passing shot as they go by. A lucky tag here and the fight might be over.

So welcome Tig! Enjoy the ride!

Offline Rezdog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 05:28:27 PM »
I dont agree with #2 ( when being attacked from above turn and face the attack head on). When they start diving on you start a nose low turn, tighten the turn more and more as they close. Just as they are about to shoot, pull up and roll out of the turn going into a barrel roll. The faster they are the tighter you want your roll. What happens is they will mis-judge thier aim due to the turn, and more than likely be close to blacking out. As you roll up and back into them you will get a passing shot as they go by. A lucky tag here and the fight might be over.

So welcome Tig! Enjoy the ride!

Sage advice Fugitive.

One ACM Guide, old squad page on the way back machine, good times.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040619102225/http://jagd3udet.com/acm_rules.html
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 05:30:57 PM by Rezdog »
RezDog
Unteroffizier - Jagdflieger
I/JG3 Udet (Hoenjager) C.O. Twodogs5

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »
Hi Tig,

While you can't take off from a CV with the 262 in the MA. You could land one  :old: indeed very fun.

Defensive ACM is the hardest for most people. That's why so many fly easy run planes to press X when a con gets on their 6  ;)

It's all about timing and using the enemies E to their disadvantage.

Check out this move. It's one of my favorites. Here is your first step to understanding defensive maneuvers.

Practice that one a good bit, though for a complete understanding I would need to talk you thru it.

You should really try the MA. $15 ain't so bad, you will see how challenging aircombat really is.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:12:23 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion