Author Topic: Douglas A-26 Invaders!  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Douglas A-26 Invaders!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »
Methinks I smell some leg-pulling....  :huh

I mean, the Invaders did make it to Europe in late 1944. Sure it wasn't the height of the action but they were there for several months before VE Day.

And rife with mechanical issues and break downs.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »
True, the periscope dual turrets was too far ahead of its time, and the landing gear wasn't exactly beefy....
We still put a lot of care into maintaining out landing gear and landing it realll gently, lots of videos of Invaders crunching the nosegear.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 07:17:43 PM »
And rife with mechanical issues and break downs.

B29s were not with out their teething problems...

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 08:45:25 PM »
Is there enough of a difference between the B and C (glass nose) to warrant two air frames, or could we use a hybrid?  For example: To my understanding, pilots in the Pacific liked the F4F-3 more than the -4 version for various reasons.  Would we have a similar issue between the B and C variants for the A-26?

Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 03:58:54 PM »
Is there enough of a difference between the B and C (glass nose) to warrant two air frames, or could we use a hybrid?  For example: To my understanding, pilots in the Pacific liked the F4F-3 more than the -4 version for various reasons.  Would we have a similar issue between the B and C variants for the A-26?

Nope, literally the nose is what determined it. Skilled aircrews could swap out the nose for missions in a matter of 4-6 hours if I recall correctly.
Also something people usually forget- Invaders still packed a hell of a forward punch with the glass nose, they had 2 .50s tucked into the right(?) side of the glass nose, to supplement the 6 .50s on the wings.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
On this topic, I stumbled across some cool Invader materials while I was looking at 3D modeling stuff. Right now in my Engineering class I'm working on a simplified F-14 Tomcat that's turning out better than I expected. Might try and make a CAD model of an Invader sometime now that I have this! Not only is it cool because it has the cross section profiles, but with the CAD program I use it's not too hard to translate the plans into a 3D model.

Turn n' Burn!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 08:55:19 PM »
Sounds great! Saturdays are the best day to come out, that's when I'm there, and it's also the most active day for us.
Look forward to seeing you there, Dichotomy!
Just made a note to come up there in June brother :)  I'll DM you and let you know

Thanks

Oh and +10 for adding the 26
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:58:23 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 06:04:49 AM »
Just made a note to come up there in June brother :)  I'll DM you and let you know

Thanks

Oh and +10 for adding the 26

I'll be there 2nd and 4th weekends. Just yesterday a small detachment of the crew took her all the way to Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota for an airshow there! She's officially back in the air after about 2 years!
Turn n' Burn!