Author Topic: Interests and hobbies! What are yours?  (Read 4880 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Interests and hobbies! What are yours?
« on: April 26, 2022, 09:31:01 AM »
So this might be interesting to see what you guys come up with because I like to learn about people.

For me I love recording and writing music. I don't actually read music, but I'm self-taught on guitar and I play guitar, obviously, and bass and I can hack away on keyboards.

I like to mix music and I tuned my room as much as I can for acoustics. Believe it or not there's a lot of stuff that you hear out of speakers that you would never know are interfering with the true sound unless you really measure it with a room measurement mic and software. That kind of thing really interests me.

I just got done putting wood laminate flooring into my place so I reposition my mixing area and went through all these calculations again. Very interesting.

I also like history and world affairs. I like to keep up with world affairs. Even though there's not a much anyone can do about the course of things, I like to keep tabs.

I also run two forums. Well actually three forums but one of them is a private forum for music where I partner with a few other musicians and songwriters.

For work I am a technician and I work in the field. I pretty much been a technician my whole life. Either with PCs, car electronics or IT stuff. Right now I am a field engineer for a company that repairs and installs large format printers.

So what do you guys like? You know, some people don't have any hobbies at all. Like one of my brothers he was always trying to figure out what he would like to do but it doesn't seem like he has any hobbies at all.

Oh I thought of another. I used to be heavily into model building when I was a kid.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Interests and hobbies! What are yours?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 10:01:32 AM »
Creating music in Adobe Audition.
Video editing/creation in Premiere.
Playing acoustic guitar.
Local DJ for fun.
PC building-repair.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 10:15:41 AM »
Where to start? I'll leave out all the things I used to do but don't/can't anymore and move on.  I love being outdoors, and more importantly, I love spending time with my horses.  There have only been two periods in my life when I didn't have horses, once when I was in college, and the second time after my divorce.  Given my choice, aside from my wife, my daughters, and grandchildren, I'd rather spend a whole day with one of my horses than with most people I know.  Right now I'm down to three, which is a good number, because if someone comes along and wants to buy one, I have two good ones left while I break in another one.

I also play guitar and, though I took lessons fifty years ago, I still consider myself self taught.  I like to play poker and I love a good game of pool, either 8 or 9 ball, but I'll shoot straight pool, too.  Very few folks, except old timers like myself, understand straight pool.

But my biggest hobby is writing.  In 2008 I started writing a humor column for the local fish wrapper, and an editor of another paper invited me to submit my stuff to him.  Eventually I was published in four print editions and a couple of online rags.  In 2012 I published my first novel, and I've been writing novels ever since.  I currently have ten books out, some of which are actually operating in the black and some of which are actually not.  All and all, I've made more money than I've spent in publishing, but I'm getting rich by any means.

I don't want to shamelessly plug my stuff, but here's my website www.claymercer.com  Click on the link for Clay's Books.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 10:21:32 AM »
Rather inspiring, Mr. Mercer. :)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
Guitars everyone, huh?

Well, I can't call myself a player but I can accompany some three chord tunes and add a fourth one if needed. And for the last 7 or so years I've built them on wintertime Saturdays. Just for hobby. Just electric ones. The necks are more or less like baseball bats but it's easier to file them thinner afterwards than to add material.

The building hobby led me to YouTube videos of other builders and after having seen a thousand or so vids I have created somewhat of an understanding to finer woodworking. Not that I could do everything I've seen but I now know how something has been/should be done and, more importantly, why. A never ending learning process!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 11:34:33 AM »
Writing.
Learning new languages.
Gardening.
Woodworking.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
I suppose you can call me an Amateur's Amateur Egyptologist...
I am teaching myself 18th dynasty hieroglyphic and am actually
at the point where I can read some...
Was a scuba diver until the strokes, so that is out now...
I also enjoy programming in assembly language
 :salute

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 01:43:42 PM »
Ice Hockey
SCUBA diving
Photography (yes, I took that profile picture)
Aviation (PPL)
Military history
Fishing
Hiking
Scale models
Trying to learn guitar (poorly)
Programming languages

:salute
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 03:32:40 PM »
I done many things in my life. Almost too many to list, but here goes a few...
For years I fly fished and tied my own flies.
I trained and played as a classical violinist many years ago. Now I play guitar and find indoor peace with a hammered dulcimer.
I find my outdoor peace riding my ATV on trails, just to see what lies around the bend of the trail or what kind of view is available from the next ridge.
I was once an honest sailor in the USN. My line crossing map and shellback card hang in my cave.
I have had a fascination with aircraft since an early age, yet I've never tried to get a license. Ive just had other priorities.
I am a lineman and take great pride in the work I do. I am part of the frontline that no one thinks about.
I enjoy ropecraft and paracord.
I've raised 5 men who have helped to bless me with 2 granddaughters.

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 05:55:57 PM »
In order of importance:

Do my best to raise my son to not be a degenerate
Do my best to not inspire hatred from my wife
Take care of my mom
Do my best to not have a heart attack
Private equity investing
Science fiction writing
Gun collecting
Traveling

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 06:23:24 PM »
Where to start? I'll leave out all the things I used to do but don't/can't anymore and move on.  I love being outdoors, and more importantly, I love spending time with my horses.  There have only been two periods in my life when I didn't have horses, once when I was in college, and the second time after my divorce.  Given my choice, aside from my wife, my daughters, and grandchildren, I'd rather spend a whole day with one of my horses than with most people I know.  Right now I'm down to three, which is a good number, because if someone comes along and wants to buy one, I have two good ones left while I break in another one.

I also play guitar and, though I took lessons fifty years ago, I still consider myself self taught.  I like to play poker and I love a good game of pool, either 8 or 9 ball, but I'll shoot straight pool, too.  Very few folks, except old timers like myself, understand straight pool.

But my biggest hobby is writing.  In 2008 I started writing a humor column for the local fish wrapper, and an editor of another paper invited me to submit my stuff to him.  Eventually I was published in four print editions and a couple of online rags.  In 2012 I published my first novel, and I've been writing novels ever since.  I currently have ten books out, some of which are actually operating in the black and some of which are actually not.  All and all, I've made more money than I've spent in publishing, but I'm getting rich by any means.

I don't want to shamelessly plug my stuff, but here's my website www.claymercer.com  Click on the link for Clay's Books.

That's a full, good life! Good for you.

The writing thing is very impressive, and even breaking even at doing something you love is more than worth it in my book. Being published. Just awesome!

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 08:47:55 PM »
I am an avid outdoorsman, ski area heavy equipment operator and I own a custom Saw milling business.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 05:41:22 PM »
I build scale radio controlled tanks. Just starting to learn arduino, planning on getting a 3d printer someday. With a 3d printer and arduino one can pretty much build any rc tank you can imagine from scratch. It's an exciting time for big boy toys. I'm also into aquascaping and cichlids in the aquarium. I've had many hobbies over the years, these are just a couple that I keep coming back to.

My tank lab man cave.

One of my aquascapes apparently under construction when this photo was taken.

Couple of dwarf cichlids getting ready to be parents again.

https://youtu.be/M-d7L6wgLfM
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 06:56:14 PM »
I love your work bench and that room. That's a nice setup.

That tank is beautiful and natural looking!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 07:02:47 PM »
Nice bench Floob !

Like most of the other guys I.ve had many through the years Being in my 60's now leaves out some of the more strenuous like hockey, and woods riding on a motorcycle.

I play enough guitar that it sounds like one, some drums and keyboard, but dont ask me to sing!
Video games, AH, VR poker and some driving games now and then. Built my own driving pit for that.
Modeling (plastic), tanks, planes, cars, it doesnt matter, they are all a challenge if you are going for details.
Wood working, nothing too wild but I know how to use saws without cutting a finger off.
Playing with my Mustang, 99 coupe. tweaking as money allows.
Driving, I love to drive. I work as a technician for a vending/coffee company and average about 200 miles on most days going from place to place repairing machines. Mass, NH, VT, and Maine are all with in my range for work. Between work and my Mustang I can log some miles!
The rest of my time is spent with my wife of 40 years, and lending a helping hand to my 2 boys if/when they need it. Both are in their 30's and are doing well in the computer field.

Below is my man cave with my model bench and picture of a Panther Im working on. Finally getting to that "detail" stage I look forward too!