Author Topic: Interests and hobbies! What are yours?  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Interests and hobbies! What are yours?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 10:20:00 AM »
 Building, driving and sometimes racing RC off road cars.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2022, 02:19:33 AM »
Building, driving and sometimes racing RC off road cars.

Which types?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 03:06:32 AM »
Life is always untidy loose ends and lost possibilities. I expect AKAK was sick around this time. I have a 1979 Tamiya Rough Rider loaded with sentimental value and a Hotshot project based on TRF503 transmission with active suspension.

Also presently busy with Sony Walkmen both cassette and Minidisc and am waiting for my first DAT recorder just to explore the format.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 07:25:05 AM »
Life is always untidy loose ends and lost possibilities. I expect AKAK was sick around this time. I have a 1979 Tamiya Rough Rider loaded with sentimental value and a Hotshot project based on TRF503 transmission with active suspension.

Also presently busy with Sony Walkmen both cassette and Minidisc and am waiting for my first DAT recorder just to explore the format.

I was looking into RC on road cars but ended up getting a short course truck instead, just because I could use it offroad while on trails and there isn't a road course I don't believe around where I live. Just picked up a Tekno 410.3 for under $300 which was a great deal. Will start the build soon. This is my first rc car build. I had other RTR before but the moving company "lost" (stole) them and my RC boat, about $750 worth of RC stuff. Really pissed me off.

I also do Metal Earth Models and Lego models for fun.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2023, 11:32:22 AM »
I am currently into Turning Bowls  on a wood lathe....

(Image removed from quote.)

What type of wood is that, Kenai?
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:46 AM »
You asked.  :D

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2023, 12:04:47 PM »
Very cool CptTrips!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2023, 12:52:07 PM »
What type of wood is that, Kenai?

The name on the image suggests southern red cedar.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2023, 01:38:39 PM »

Whatever is in front of me.

Too many to list.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2023, 05:57:14 PM »
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2023, 06:04:53 PM »
CptTrips, that is amazing! I love those pictures too. Very nice!

Is that building the same one where the telescope is at? How does the roof open up?

Really cool.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2023, 06:43:20 PM »
CptTrips, that is amazing! I love those pictures too. Very nice!

Is that building the same one where the telescope is at? How does the roof open up?

Really cool.

Thanks.

Yep. That is a roll-offf roof observatory design.  The building is divided in half with an interior wall/door..  The right have is a cabin where I can sleep after an all-nighter on the scope.  The left half is the observatory. 

The scope is mounted on a concrete pier that doesn't actually touch the building.  A hole in the floor lefts the pier in with a 2 inch gap around the floor.  That way I can be doing long exposures and walk around in the cabin and not vibrate the scope and ruin an image from vibration.  The pier goes down 3 ft in the ground to the bedrock limestone of the hill and is tied into it with drilled and epoxied j-bolts.  It's basically a part of the hill. 

The roof is built to be supported on v-groove steel wheels and I welded up some angle iron rails.  I can roll the whole roof on and off with one hand.  It's locked down when I'm not observing.  ;)

Roof in closed position...

Me learning to weld.  Kinda sloppy.  I think I had the wire speed too fast.  But it was functional.  These are the rails that allow the roof to roll out over the patio area.

Here is the best Jupiter I've done.  My goal is to try and beat that this year.  And do some better solar. 

I tend to enjoy solar\lunar\planetary stuff the most.  In all those things change.  You see new cloud patterns or changed in band colors over time in Jupiter.  Watch it's moons transit and watch the moons shadow move across Jupiters face over the course of a couple of hours.  Even the Moon features can be strikingly different beteen nights and the shadow angles change with the phase.  Some structure only appear at certain times of the Lunar day when angles are just right for the shadows.

A nebular or galaxy is going to be pretty much exactly the same 5, 10, 40, 80 years from now.  No real change.  The only reason to go back to photograph those is to test your new levels of skill or equipment and compare to your previous best to see if you have improved.

The scope has been down a couple of years.  The dive gears were hosed.  I finally worked up the courage to take it all apart and fix it.  It's all go to go now.  I hope to get back to photographing this year.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:17:39 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2023, 07:06:35 PM »

Here is a pic of the block after it had been poured. 

You can't imagine how many bags of concrete that was hand mixed with water I hauled out there in jugs.   :rofl

Here the floor with the hole e=letting the block be accessed.  (Good ole Dad, sadly passed.  I couldn't have built that without his help.)

Then a steel pier is bolted to the block.  (like this one but not exact.  Mine is black.)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2023, 07:10:09 PM »
wow! that is really impressive!

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.