Author Topic: Vox/radios/manners  (Read 2726 times)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Vox/radios/manners
« on: April 27, 2022, 07:24:45 AM »
Let me give some background to set this up.  I've been playing AH for six month +/- and initially I didn't use the vox channel.  Then, when SiK1 began helping me with fighter ops, I bought a headset and began using it to communicate with Sik1 in the training arena. On his advice, I tuned to vox channel 117.

The next time I went to the MA, my vox was still on 117, and I heard some really entertaining conversations.  I got to where I'd tune to 117 because a)these were some fun guys to listen to, b) they played the game in manner very similar to the way I play it, and c) nobody ever said, 'Decoy, stay off that channel.'

Yesterday, though (not naming names) I heard one player tell another player to quit 'loafing on our squad channel.'  I had no idea what he meant, except that he wasn't talking to me.  That was pretty clear.  All I know is that the callsign of the talking player was displayed in purple, which, if I'm not mistaken, means I heard them over the F11/proximity channel.

I don't engage in a lot talk on the vox channel in main arena, unless someone asks me a direct question and I can't type my response.  I have no idea if I'm displaying bad manners, breaking some 'unwritten' protocol, or not.  If someone can give me a concise list of 'dos and don'ts' that would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Vox/radios/manners
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 07:41:21 AM »
The 100s are single country channels - only people on your country you'll see
The 200s are cross country channels - you can talk cross-country

And yes - yellow is channel and purple is proximity.

Squads also have the ability to tune to "4" which is squad channel and only members that are in that squad in that arena can tune to it. Meaning, if you're in a squad and tune to 4 you won't see other people in other squads, just those in yours.

As for etiquette - some squads 'claim' a channel as it coincides with their squad number or something. There is nothing wrong with being on there, isn't against the rules or anything. If a squad truly wanted to be private they'd tune to 4. But a lot don't in case friends want to fly with them, etc.

You can always just pick a random channel that no one is on or tune yourself to 4. Usually the 200s are pretty dead.

:salute
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 07:47:19 AM »
Thanks, Spikes.  I just don't want to be unintentionally making people mad.  I don't mind doing it on purpose, if the need arises, but I don't want to appear socially clumsy.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 07:52:00 AM »
You can tune to any available channel. But, if you were in a squad that chose a channel to communicate relatively privately, how would you feel about others listening in? Would you want them to at least ask first?  You could ask the squad you're listening to, instead of the BB, for their opinion. I think that's Sik1's squad.  :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 08:26:53 AM »
You can tune to any available channel. But, if you were in a squad that chose a channel to communicate relatively privately, how would you feel about others listening in? Would you want them to at least ask first?  You could ask the squad you're listening to, instead of the BB, for their opinion. I think that's Sik1's squad. 

If the squad is that sensitive, it should choose the squad channel. 

- oldman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 08:27:13 AM »

- oldman
Yup!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 09:35:47 AM »
I’m better off with  :blank:

:aok
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:09:52 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 10:17:28 AM »
Decoy, you're more than welcome to keep hanging out with us on ch117  :salute

We used to use a 2xx channel for our squad, but discovered that we'd get eavesdropped by Bishops from time to time. Some people...

Simon

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 11:17:51 AM »
Honestly 117, was an arbitrary number I chose to use in the TA. There are advantages to using a tuned channel over range. I do change that up in an attempt to maintain privacy of people I'm working with.

The rules I use are don't be a dick, and do have fun.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »

- oldman

We're not talking about a squad. Decoy asked about good manners.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »
But, if you were in a squad that chose a channel to communicate relatively privately, how would you feel about others listening in?

We are literally talking about squads.

FlyKommando.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 11:57:15 AM »
I thought y'all were talking about "Vox/radio/manners" ?  But what do I know 🤔

Decoy, just listen to the Trainer that you have  been working with....your in good hands! 👍
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:01:39 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 07:37:17 PM »
Great thoughts, everyone.  The people on 117 are really nice.  They were even talking about who should give me a squad invite when I said I was already in nopoop's EZ Targets.

Fun to fly with and vastly entertaining.  As SIK1 said, 'don't be a dick, do have fun.' 

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 07:44:01 PM »

Honestly, it was Skuzzy that said "Don't be a dick". I added the "Do have fun". It is a game after all, and games are supposed to be fun. Aren't they?

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 07:53:11 PM »

Honestly, it was Skuzzy that said "Don't be a dick". I added the "Do have fun". It is a game after all, and games are supposed to be fun. Aren't they?

Miss you guys. :)