Author Topic: May 2022 KOTH Results.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
May 2022 KOTH Results.
« on: May 08, 2022, 09:30:44 AM »
Well, four hours and two minutes from opening to closing of logs so the event was somewhere just under that in length. Almost had two breaks and I can not recall one that long in a while.
Logs are up and round by round results in a day or three.
-{S}- and Congratulations go to trogdor for winning his second of the year.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: May 2022 KOTH Results.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:19:46 AM »
Congrats Trog!    Good crowd, even a few new faces.   The FM2 round was pretty fun when it created little mini-balls of action.

Fuzeman - as a consideration to encourage a more compacted multi-plane engagement environ (as opposed to the semi 1v1 dueling action), maybe use the small radius map and when we all takeoff and head out, once arriving at the wall, everyone goes in one direction (clockwise or counter, but all the same) along the wall until FIGHT ON is called then turn towards the center and start to engage? Often on the small map, the FIGHT ON would be called approximately about the time we all started arriving at the walls. 

Maybe not as a "wait til everyone is at the wall before FIGHT ON" but more of a "if you arrive at the wall before FIGHT ON is called, go counterclockwise until it is called, then turn towards center and engage."  I think we'd work out any no joy issues easily enough if they arose.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:30:47 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
Sounds good  Shane

Personally I go in whatever direction needed to try to stay out of icon range before fights on is called

I have turned around and flown back towards base ...

Your suggestion of everyone flying towards the wall while spreading out to keep those that took off in the same directions far enough apart sounds like a very good one

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 02:18:04 PM »
I second this motions.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing machine!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 03:43:11 PM »
Or a smaller arena as it seems sometimes you are flying from an engagement all the way from the other side of the circle

Smaller arena would result in faster rounds as there would be less flying and more fighting

A smaller room would require an organized fly out so we maintain beyond icon range until fights on is announced

Or whatever is easiest for fuzeman as it's his show and I  appreciate the job he does now for the event!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 10:40:40 AM »
I've had my thinking cap on over the comments since they were posted as I'm rather OCD on checking the AH boards even though I have not flown at all except during KOTH practice since the end of March.
Also wanted to hear other KOTH participants opinions as it is your event. I just run the silly thing.
Have to post RbR results yet and hopefully my cogitations will have gelled and I can respond as best I can.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »
just out of curiosity, what happened to choosing map size by how many players are attending?  like it has always been?

congrats trogdor!

finally got my controllers working again today after a few phone calls and troubleshooting with Dale...he found the problem, and was an easy edit to my jsm files, with my thrttle needing to be reprogrammed on 3 buttons....something changed in a windows update or something.....anyway, back working now
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 08:15:33 AM »
It’s been a week fuze. Even if your van smells of leaking gas, even if you need to clean the second floor gutters and rehang a downspout that came down last fall get those results up and reply to the comments!!!

Time for that second cup of coffee……

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 08:16:43 PM »
Still done that way, but we're at semi-awkward numbers 12-16 is a bit crowding on the small radius on flyouts (as people try to position-gap) but can create distance gaps if bumped to a double radius map. 

The result has been almost a series of 1 v 1's where a winner *may* arrive to another ongoing fight for that multi-plane engagement thrill, but just as often that fight is over and it's a 1 v 1 with the eventual remaining 2-3 generally being opposite sides of the map.

I only suggested the hit wall, turn same way then turn toward center when fight on is called to basically drive the action towards the center, resulting in closer and more multiple engagements  (mini-furballs.)  Puts SA to work more than we're seeing now. 

I can't speak to prior years when numbers may have been greater and the action more compacted because of that (??).

I'm perfectly okay with the way it's been handled since I started participating last winter.

just out of curiosity, what happened to choosing map size by how many players are attending?  like it has always been?
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 08:18:54 PM »
I need a distraction as I live just south of Buffalo NY and we made the news in a bad way. But this is about KOTH right?
May's KOTH was a recent record setter for just about everything barring attendance and that was close.  Logs ran four hours and two minutes but they go a bit longer than the event but just under four hours is good. We also topped out with fourteen rounds which is again the most in recent history. Close to max with around thirteen players, of which a few where fresh to KOTH, and managed to generate four wabbits. Trogdor pulled out his second KOTH of the year out of the four.
-{S}- and Congratulations again to trogdor for the win.

Round by round results:
1} trogdor in a Bf 109G-2; 13 minutes
2} Chewie in a Fw 190A-5; 11 minutes
3} tdgShane in a Fw 190D-9; 15 minutes
4} Eagler in a FM2;  14 minutes
5} LeonTwnk in a P-38G;  11 minutes
6} trogdor in a P-47D-11; 10 minutes
7} ReddFoxx in a B-25H;  16 minutes
8) ReddFoxx in a Yak-3;  21 minutes   {Wabbit}
9) trogdor in a Bf 109E-4; 14 minutes   {Wabbit}
10) Eagler in a Spitfire Mk. I;  11 minutes
11) Chewie in a Bf 110G-2; 12 minutes   {Wabbit}
12) LeonTwnk in a C.202;  18 minutes   {Wabbit}
13) tdgShane in a F4U-1;  10 minutes
14) trogdor wins in a Ki-61- I-Tei; 10 ish minutes

trogdor, ReddFoxx, Chewie, LeonTwnk all earn reservations to the TOC. DropTime had 7 Ks so adding him for kills as most got in via wabbitry.
Top killers were Eagler-16, trogdor-15, Chewie-13, tdgShane-12, LeonTwnk-8.
Logs can be found at http://ahevents.net/index.php/event-logs

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 08:25:13 PM »
Numbers still dictate which field we use on the map. Remember though that while some get to that wall sooner, others may not so it's hard to pick a turn time that would work for all.
I doubt I'd have much luck getting everybody to turn one way or the other if I tried. I think it's more the nature of the beast. Some want to be first up and get away as far as possible, others turn around and climb near the field.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 08:21:53 AM »
tdgShane looks like a wabbit too...although I haven't actually kept up with KOTH...y'all know why..heh

He may have already won a monthly KOTH event....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
This year, any previous monthly KOTH winners need 4 wins to repeat and at 3 wins become a Wabbit.    I won back in Feb.

tdgShane looks like a wabbit too...although I haven't actually kept up with KOTH...y'all know why..heh

He may have already won a monthly KOTH event....

TC