Author Topic: GTX670  (Read 1759 times)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
GTX670
« on: May 12, 2022, 06:17:56 PM »
Ok here is the deal's I'm replacing  my burned out GTX670 with a GTX960-- the gtx960 its perfectly in my old computer except for 2 6 wire sockets but the 960 only has 1 8wire socket -I just watched a video card upgrade a d that's what he used an adapter wire  2 --6 wire sockets going into a 8 pin con enter these wires power the video card it's at adapter. I need a part number a where to find it thank you
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
Re: GTX670
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 09:05:14 PM »
Close it's 2 6's going into an 8.I'll see if I can make a picture from the video I saw
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 11:03:37 PM »
I don't know if I would attempt that.  I don't know if your PSU would actually handle it.
I have a Corsair CX 750 PSU that will easily run that card.
It's yours, if you can cover shipping.
Corsair CX 750

Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 01:50:46 AM »
Actually the GTX 960 is a bit less power thirsty than the GTX 670 so the dual 6 wire sockets converted to a single 8 pin socket should work especially if the two 6 pin sockets share the same wiring. What surprises me is that the 6 pin sockets of the OP don't have the extension for 8 pins, usually they're 6+2.

The adapter Fugi linked to is for changing one 6 wire to one 8 wire connector which actually seems to just add two ground wires looped to the extra pins. If you have two separate bunches of wires going to two 6 pin sockets something like this one might be a bit safer: https://www.amazon.com/BLUEXIN-6-Pin-Female-Adapter-0-65ft/dp/B07FNBFFXT/ref=sr_1_8?

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 10:40:13 AM »
Bizman, thats it, you are a computer parts of god thank you, that is exactly what I need, I knew comeing here and ask you,  probably able to help me Thank you so very much. :banana:  :rock
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:47:17 AM by lunaticfringe »

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 10:51:28 AM »
I have one ordered take about  a week to get here snail mail

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »
Nice Bizman!

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »
Ok, I got myself a GTX960 twin fan video card not has about 60 hours run time on it, installed it, used the "y" adapter Bizman told me to use, I have everything hooked up, but the fans only run for about 30 seconds then stop. The monitor is on when I do this, nothing comes up on the screen. I turn the monitor off then back on only message says HDMI no signal. I changed the HDMI cables and still nothing

Is there something else that could be wrong with the computer? I triple checked all the connectors, made sure the card is plugged in. Could the old card GTX670 have damaged something else?

Specs:
HP Pavilion  Intel Pentium Windows 7  Home Edition
Model-p6-2033w
I was told I need to program the drivers, but I can't without the screen, I even changed the monitor but that didn't help.

I would appreciate any help  :pray
Power Supply-SilverStone Model SST-ST75F  750 Watts. Modular Power Supply

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »
Oh geez! The infamous HP incompatibility curse strikes again!

Your computer simply can't take the newer cards, here's why: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-P6-2033W-Win-7-Won-t-Boot-With-New-Graphics-Card/td-p/6170422
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 04:36:03 PM »
Ok thanks Bizman

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 04:38:44 PM »
Hey Bizman got a question more like an assumption ...

I sent lunatic that EVGA 960 GTX video card back in June and we found out his original PC was too old to run it

Well,  I  mailed him an AMD 3.6 6-core 16MB system ram with Windows 10 Pro installed on September 12th with 3 days delivery....it finally got there this morning with help from my local post office's post master (long time friend of mine)

Well as you would imagine after all this time,  even though I had it marked as fragile,  the other EVGA 760 GTX card in it was only hanging by the back plate screws and out of the slot and the hard drive was jammed in it diagonal...so it had been dropped or slammed around (HD had those quick releases slots/ tabs...

I  have just spent over 2 a half hours on the phone going through any and everything I could think of from trying to diagnose the problem over the phone and dwindled it down to the  PCIe x16 slot being damaged I know both cards worked on this PC that I sent him... but still no hdmi signal

What would you assume?

Edit:  I'm guessing that the 760 will not work in his older PC,  correct?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:47:04 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 01:23:05 AM »
Hi TC,

Starting at the end, the link I posted clearly says that the 600 series is the latest to work in the old PC so unfortunately the 760 is too new by just one generation/year.

Diagnosing a motherboard is difficult even if you see it... But here's a couple of ideas:

If the computer doesn't boot, it's usually one of these three: Processor, Memory or Video card. If any of those is badly seated the PC won't boot. Even if just the CPU cooler is slightly loose it can prevent booting as the cooling will be inadequate. So basically I'd tear all components out and rebuild the computer. Checking all slots for foreign objects or twisted connectors with a magnifying glass and torch might be a good idea in this case as well. Some compressed air won't hurt. That would be my first thing to do.

Another thing I'd try is to take out the video card and check if the built-in video works (if there's any, that is). If that works, it tells that the CPU is intact.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 03:51:28 AM »
Too much for lunatic to do....I  was doing the best I could over the phone and through pictures he was sending me... gonna file a damage claim today...

I will see if I can come up with a decent AMD AM3 socket MB for him..... if anyone else does let me know....

I usually keep it private when I've done these things to help others keep playing,  when they have a component,  etc  go bad...this time on top of RL stuff has been a wee bit more 😉 than I expected

He lives in Texas,  I am in NC... so gonna try to get him back up and running soon (which was supposed to have been back in June)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 08:34:46 AM »
That is a shame - I've learned after one mishap to always leave the video card out of the socket for ship/transport. I usually bubble wrap it and tape it to the bottom of the case or the PSU somewhere.

Kudos to you TC for going out of your way to help him!

I've never dealt much with AMD but found something here for $45, not sure if it's worth it or not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/xpwoy3/usact_h_amd_fx_processors_am3_motherboard_ddr3/

Obviously this would entail him swapping the CPU out of the old mobo and swapping the mobo out of the case, dunno if that is too much. :salute
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com