• Radioactive Member
Re: Book
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2022, 07:40:41 PM »
Nazis hate everyone but Nazis. They excluded themselves from inclusion.  :old:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2022, 10:25:47 PM »
Again, this has nothing to do with what kids like.  It is about left vs. right adults and what they are arguing should or shouldn't be in school libraries.

so you are complaining that parents are fighting each other over books their kids dont read anymore but should be in schools.

I am confused.  sorry.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2022, 10:30:23 PM »
Nazis hate everyone but Nazis. They excluded themselves from inclusion.  :old:

Yep.  Well, they liked the Italian and Spanish fascists, but that is about the same thing.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2022, 12:31:57 AM »
so you are complaining that parents are fighting each other over books their kids dont read anymore but should be in schools.

No.  I'm saying the opposite of all three things you put in that one sentence.

"so you are complaining"
No.  It's normal, usual, and expected for parents to disagree on books.  I mostly feel that if any group of parents doesn't like a particular book, just take it out of the school library.  You can get it easily if you want it for your kid.

"fighting each other over books their kids dont read anymore"
No.  Parents fight over availability of books regardless of popularity among kids themselves.  Some might be popular for all I know.  Some probably aren't.  Doesn't matter -- it's that a kid could be exposed to it.

"but should be in schools"
No.  One group feels it shouldn't be in schools.  One group feels it should be in schools.

I love you, semp (in a manly way, of course), but just Google "book banning controversy".  Read a news item or two.  Then you will know the news topic we're discussing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 12:33:33 AM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2022, 12:47:30 AM »
Talking about the actual topic, here's what I read over the past several months.

A few books in the Horus Heresy series (Warhammer 40k militaristic science fiction).  Horus Rising (book 1) and Galaxy in Flames (book 3) were very enjoyable and well written.  Books 2 and 4 were so so.

The Tales from the Gas Station series by Townsend.  Some of it was excellent.  Some so so.  A nice mix of horror, fantasy, humor, Lovecraftian stuff, and plot twists.  Some of the volumes are better than others.

The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis.  Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra weren't that good, in my opinion.  I'm on That Hideous Strength now, which is better.  Haven't finished it yet, though.

The Obesity Code, by Fung.  Quite interesting.  Thesis is that body weight is controlled by a setpoint in the body, which is why most dieting works only for a bit, them people gain all the weight back eventually.  Idea is that insulin response is that setpoint, and to affect it, intermittent fasting and eating foods lower on the insulin index (not same as glycemic index) is the key.

The Land Founding, by Kong.  A litrpg fantasy novel.  1st in a series.  Didn't hook me enough for rest of series.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:08:46 AM by Brooke »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2022, 12:53:44 AM »
No.  I'm saying the opposite of all three things you put in that one sentence.

"so you are complaining"
No.  It's normal, usual, and expected for parents to disagree on books.  I mostly feel that if any group of parents doesn't like a particular book, just take it out of the school library.  You can get it easily if you want it for your kid.

"fighting each other over books their kids dont read anymore"
No.  Parents fight over availability of books regardless of popularity among kids themselves.  Some might be popular for all I know.  Some probably aren't.  Doesn't matter -- it's that a kid could be exposed to it.

"but should be in schools"
No.  One group feels it shouldn't be in schools.  One group feels it should be in schools.

I love you, semp (in a manly way, of course), but just Google "book banning controversy".  Read a news item or two.  Then you will know the news topic we're discussing.

this is what troubles me.  parents fight over availability of books that their kids dont read.  that doesnt make sense. I look more in the other way, why have books in schools that nobody wants to read, just because parent read them.  like you said if they wanted their kids to read them they can get them somewhere else.  so what is the fight about?

edit: like i said, when my kids were growing up wife wanted scrambled eggs and sausage by dr seus because she liked it and said it was good for the kids.  I said no, after she bought it.  thought it was a stupid book. I read from other books that they were more interested in reading.  my wife loved the book, and another where there's a chinaman eating with chopsticks.  I asked her why when have you seen a chinaman with a 3 pointer hat eating with chopsticks? my kids were more interested in reading the newspaper or me reading to them and teaching them which words were there.

teach your kids to read ham and scrambled eggs because you loved scrambled eggs and ham and they will take years to learn how to cook a steak.

that is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:04:45 AM by guncrasher »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2022, 01:17:05 AM »
another thing, my ex wife on xmas wanted to watch xmas movies, when my oldest was 6, he said these movies are boring.  so I put on either full metal jacket or hamburger hill.  we would seat in front of the tv and eat a really good meal and I would drink beer and discuss the movies.  why this or that happened.  my youngest just turned 30 and every xmas we dont spend together we sent each other. pictures of either one of those movies.  my daughter a few years ago said her older daughter got tired of it and would rather watch despicable me.  so she sends pictures of it. but she sends pictures on her phone of hamburger hill that she watches while her kids watch despicable me.

my first wife, sends me a text every xmas after being divorced 25 years telling me what a dick I am for teaching them that. but I know she watches both movies to fit in with us.

try to ban that for xmas.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2022, 01:26:08 AM »
Books cause the majority of Americans anxiety.

Its the paper it scares them

This is why they are reducing access to said offending items.

The fact that people on this forum get very angry at the statement “what was the last book you read” is a indication of their character

They are fine with smoking drugs and looking at their shoes but books are evil :)

No wonder the elites despise you all.

Just do it once pick up a book , when it says chapter 1 that’s where you start :)

Today I am eating acorns
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2022, 03:28:15 AM »

I am confused.  sorry.

semp

Seems like you’re hung up on thinking much of this is about old books, partly it is.

There is a reason reading lists in modern history have included the ‘Classics.’

From Homer to Sun Tzu to Machiavelli to Hemingway, in between and on, they are timeless.

If kids only read what they wanted to, most would end up with so little exposure to the world they would end up thinking Call of Duty was a very important part of life - ooooops  :uhoh

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2022, 04:31:05 AM »
Here's a picture of Nazis burning books that threatened their hatred/fear of all 'others':

(Image removed from quote.)

Aren't those Beatles records they are burning there?
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2022, 06:48:03 AM »
Green eggs and ham a stupid book? Lol

It's not a novel, it's meant for children trying to read and pronounce words for the first time

What group is actually in charge of the list of banned books?

Here's a nice racist one they missed

https://www.amazon.com/Mein-Kampf-Adolf-Hitler-ebook/dp/B0024FA18K?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_dls

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2022, 07:50:25 AM »
I look at nazi book burning as no different than the current social media incahoots banning accounts that talk truth about the agenda and narrative. I've seen Amazon completely destroy an entire collection of George Webbs books. You might say, well it's a private company and they can! I might say they are fascist pushing an agenda for one party. Notice how they always defend multi billion dollar companies when they help push the agenda. I find it fascinating.

On the subject of banning books in schools. There are some books that cross the line. That being said, if you are trying to ban books like Dr. Suess, you are merely crazy and once again trying to destroy traditional American legacies.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 08:07:31 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2022, 10:22:58 AM »
Expecting to be called dog poo something-or-other something sometime in the near or far future.  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

I love Oskar Blues, but this I would not touch.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »

Seems like you’re hung up on thinking much of this is about old books, partly it is.

There is a reason reading lists in modern history have included the ‘Classics.’

From Homer to Sun Tzu to Machiavelli to Hemingway, in between and on, they are timeless.

If kids only read what they wanted to, most would end up with so little exposure to the world they would end up thinking Call of Duty was a very important part of life - ooooops  :uhoh

I am not hung up on it.  I am amused about those who bring the left v right about books, in the sense that it's something new.  been going around since we have had books.  like a couple of posts above.  beatles records being burned.  in the 80's some parents protesting they wanted a certain book banned because it had a good witch and it went against their religious beliefs.  or not even books, plenty of videos of people smashing their keurig, or nikes or whatever it was for whatever reason.

that's what I find amusing.  but somehow some people think that "banning" or "boicoting" whatever, just started a few years ago.

by the way those dr seuss banned by libraries are available in my local library.  you just have to order them from storage.  in 3 days you can have them.  trust me I just checked today.  got nothing else to do.  and the keurig and beatles songs are still available.  cant remember the book about the good witch or I would have checked on it.  but I am sure it's available.

by the way libraries started changing years ago.  when I was in highschool our school library had crap books where we couldnt do research.  but they did have a program with cal state.  we could go there and check more books.  and all we had to do is turn them in to our school library and they would return them.  I spent summers are the library in high school.  my grandkids now can have them for pennies or free on their computers.

and by the way, you guys complaining about kids now a days playing call of duty is ironic.  after all we all play pretend to be pilots in a ww2 simulator and we have been doing it for, well some, for decades.  that is amusing too.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2022, 09:20:36 PM »

and by the way, you guys complaining about kids now a days playing call of duty is ironic.  after all we all play pretend to be pilots in a ww2 simulator and we have been doing it for, well some, for decades.  that is amusing too.

Missed my point entirely about kids playing Call of Duty…

Reread and you might see it’s about how much significance kids vs a (well adapted) adult places on trivial matters like video games.

They're casting their bait over there, see?