Author Topic: 109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts  (Read 4516 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: 109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 01:03:08 AM »
Thanks FLS !! What is the gunnery thing in the TA ?
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 06:21:30 AM »
You have flaps and you have trim

Setup your hotas so you can go from combat trim to manual trim max deflection with a button push..

That will give you an edge turning but will kill your speed

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 07:37:27 AM »
You have flaps and you have trim

Setup your hotas so you can go from combat trim to manual trim max deflection with a button push..

That will give you an edge turning but will kill your speed

Eagler

I don't believe trim affects max elevator deflection. It just changes the virtual stick position.

Thanks FLS !! What is the gunnery thing in the TA ?

Ctrl Tab to turn it on, then Tab to select the target you're looking at, then you see a green cross or two that show the lead required to hit the target. Put your gunsight on the green cross for proper lead.  You'll need a buddy to be the target. Since guns and cannon have different ballistics there are two green crosses with mixed armament. The cannon generally requiring more lead.

You might also want to review this article on turning if the speed and G relationship isn't clearly understood. http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/89-tactics/advanced-flight-concepts/1076-turning
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:44:20 AM by FLS »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 07:49:43 AM »
That K key comes in handy at high speeds.

And if you absolutely must run gondolas because you like punishment, run the G2 to start. Once you start getting handle on things, are landing regular aces, surviving for long periods, out fighting 2v1s, swap to the G14 and repeat the process. This should take about 7-10 years.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 08:22:21 AM »
I believe it does

In a 109f t&b with a zero kicking ct off and going max trim gets me around faster than if I don't

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2022, 09:23:13 AM »

Nopoop, if you would like to work on some of this stuff in the TA let me know what would be a good time for you.

Trim doesn't effect the total deflection of the elevators. As per hitech from another thread.

This is not correct. Aces high trim is exactly the same as moving your stick. But in real life this simply removes the pressure on the stick where you currently are holding it. If you are hands off in real life the stick moves when you adjust trim. This is accomplished by a tab on the back of the control surface which moves the opposite direction of which way you want the control surface to move.

This is how trim tabs work on almost all airplanes except a few that have a trimable horizontal stab or I have also seen simple spring adjustments on aileron trim on some planes. 

Now the issue that we can not do like real life is that I can not remove pressure from your stick position with out you moving the stick. So if you would apply up trim you need to move stick forward to maintain the same pitch attitude. Now en order to still maintain full stick deflection the the scale of elevator to stick movement is adjusted as trim is so that you will stick have full stick deflection no matter where the trim is.

The only time trim can change your turn rates is when you are not elevator stop limited, but stick force limited because of high speed. In this case moving trim will add or decrease turn performance.

HiTech

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2022, 09:35:31 AM »
I believe it does

In a 109f t&b with a zero kicking ct off and going max trim gets me around faster than if I don't

Eagler

I believe it could help you but I'd be interested to see the numbers. It's likely it helps on the pilot input side since the max deflection is coded so it can't be increased by trim.

If you had substantial down trim you might regain full deflection with up trim.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:42:05 AM by FLS »

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »
Interesting. I use combat trim only momentarily when I have changed attitudes as in a dive or to level or climb. On and right back to off.

Should I fly with it always on ??.

At medium to high speeds I always have enough stick for a blackout. When slow  I always have enough stick to ride a stall. I just use CT to center my stick at a given attitude and turn it back off.

Should I just leave it on ?

Is CT when turned on enough to forgo manual trimming ?
nopoop

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 11:36:37 AM »
That K key comes in handy at high speeds.

And if you absolutely must run gondolas because you like punishment, run the G2 to start. Once you start getting handle on things, are landing regular aces, surviving for long periods, out fighting 2v1s, swap to the G14 and repeat the process. This should take about 7-10 years.

New signature line  :aok
nopoop

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 01:42:58 PM »
I don't use CT at all. I have found it easier for me to use manual trim along with the auto pilot. I have pitch and yaw trim mapped to a hat under my index finger on my throttle so it's just a matter of a button push to change the trim.

:salute

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 02:02:12 PM »
I have never touched trim in all my years here. I think it's all in y'alls heads... Just like those who turn off their engine for some theoretical advantage :confused:

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »
To be clear I don't think trim gives any performance advantage.
I use trim to reduce the pressure I have to apply to the stick to maintain the desired flight attitude.

Sent from my SM-A015U using Tapatalk

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2022, 02:39:33 PM »
I use CT momentarily for the same result. It works well for that
nopoop

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2022, 02:53:32 PM »
The secret to flying a 109 is multi-layered.

A. Throttle control
B. Rudder control
C. Easy on the stick
D. WEP
E. Climb Rate
F. Gunnery - you're on your own for this, I suck at aiming and wept when they stole the gondies from the 109f's.

The 109 is so responsive to throttle inputs that it's definitely a factor in maneuvering. For most variants, wep gives a significant speed boost for as long as it lasts - which gives them that boosted climbrate.

The real secret, tho, imho, is using the rudder and throttle and when going for those hammerhead moves (or any over the top wingover) is letting the 109 get you there - forcing it is where you lose it.

The biggest threat to 109's are yaks and lala's when down low because they also possess great power/weight ratios and can hang with the 109's nose up until you get over 12-15k.

The 109's biggest tactical advantage is the ability to bleed the opponents e and from there stay nose up.  Hogs, ponies, spits can only hang with a 109 for a limited amount of time and are most dangerous when you're doing downward scissors.  If the 109 can take/keep the battle nose up, it will generally win.

The 109's are wonderful little rides - I've spent quite a bit of time in them in the old AVA/CT arena.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022, 04:07:20 PM »
Try it..

Get into a tight high turn with CT on..

Have manual trim set to a rotor with that rotor maxed up..

Have a button to turn CT on and off..

In the midlle of the tight turnhit the button to turn ct off and max trim on...

I can feel the extra lift and turn quicker

I have done this for years, the slower the fight the more the effect

It works on all planes

Eagler