Author Topic: White-Knuckle Kill Stories  (Read 743 times)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
White-Knuckle Kill Stories
« on: June 29, 2022, 11:50:46 AM »
I'm curious what kind of insane kills y'all have clocked up over the years. Obviously we all love clean victories, but I especially love the crazy, unexpected shots.
So do tell some of y'all's white knuckle kill stories!

I'll start-

I just got out of the hornet's nest in the middle of the MA. Spawned in a Spit 16 for the Knights since our radar was down but there were attack contacts on all three fields. So I get over to an enemy field, see a speck about 2-3K feet below me downhill from my position above the mountain. I dive down and drop my DT, and I see it's actually a 190 strafing the field. Enemy of my enemy I guess? I pursue through the heavy flak, and we go on a wild chase. He kept jinking like no other, and I just about unloaded my guns on him. Out of cannon without any real damage.
So I keep chasing, and he turns back towards the flak. I follow, and I check my ammo: 36 MG, 0 CANN
Oops.
I hold my fire until I'm right on his tail and the distance read 0. A quick burst of 14 rounds through the fuselage, but still no kill.
22 rounds left. I line up one more shot at point blank range, and FINALLY manage to take out his left wing, and he goes down. Splash one!

I book it back to my base, and then I see a bad sight: a Spit 9 diving on me, while I have no weapons and low on fuel.  :bolt:
I stick to the deck all the way back and he chases me. Luckily my Griffon Mk 16 could slightly outpace the Merlin Mk 9. I finally get over my field, but then the trouble gets worse: there's a 110 attacking the field, and the Spit9 is STILL ON ME!
I weave through the 110's diving passes and manage to stick on the Spit9. Sure enough, I push him down towards the flak, and the flak knocks off his left wing at point blank range. the host credits me with the kill. After that, I finally managed to put down with almost no fuel left, and Ninja chases down and kills the 110.

Two kills for me, one for Ninja!

That's gotta be the craziest sortie I've run to date, as far as raw effort and success, wish I had recorded it! :airplane:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: White-Knuckle Kill Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 01:51:08 PM »
WTG!! its all about fun, just like Monday Night Madness!!

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 08:04:22 AM »
I think my favorite happened a few months ago.  There were five or six friendly gvs defending a field, and one of them had asked for supplies.  So I launched at goon and went to drop the supplies.  Of course, there were enemy gvs and both friend and enemy fighters, so I figured there was no way I was going to have land that goon.  I dropped the supplies, everybody got some, and I was still flying with no damage, so I wheeled back to land and my headset is going, "Six, six, six, decoy!"  and the buffer had like three check six calls.  I figure I'm done for and I lowered my flaps all the way and I'm maybe 50 feet agl and somebody in a 109 flies right over my nose and craters right at the end of the runway.  The game scored me a kill.  There's an achievement for getting a kill in a goon, the Lawn Dart Magnet achievement. 

Second favorite was I was flying spotter in a Storch for Maniac and McGavin and (I think) Leper and here comes a fighter.  I hit auto level, jumped in the rear seat and scored a pilot kill in my first burst.  The achievement for a kill in a Storch is Float like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly, too.  I think I had the only landed kill in a Storch that tour.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:56:49 AM »
I think my favorite happened a few months ago.  There were five or six friendly gvs defending a field, and one of them had asked for supplies.  So I launched at goon and went to drop the supplies.  Of course, there were enemy gvs and both friend and enemy fighters, so I figured there was no way I was going to have land that goon.  I dropped the supplies, everybody got some, and I was still flying with no damage, so I wheeled back to land and my headset is going, "Six, six, six, decoy!"  and the buffer had like three check six calls.  I figure I'm done for and I lowered my flaps all the way and I'm maybe 50 feet agl and somebody in a 109 flies right over my nose and craters right at the end of the runway.  The game scored me a kill.  There's an achievement for getting a kill in a goon, the Lawn Dart Magnet achievement. 

Second favorite was I was flying spotter in a Storch for Maniac and McGavin and (I think) Leper and here comes a fighter.  I hit auto level, jumped in the rear seat and scored a pilot kill in my first burst.  The achievement for a kill in a Storch is Float like a butterfly, sting like a butterfly, too.  I think I had the only landed kill in a Storch that tour.

HAHA A GOONY KILL! NICE!  :x
I work on a real Goony on the weekends, it's named Southern Cross. She flies pretty regularly too, and I can tell you MAN it is a noisy and bumpy ride.

On the topic of gunner kills- just the other day I got kinda pissed because one of our fields got rolled by like 15 Rooks. So I decided to up a formation of 17s and make them hurt a bit. Drop my bombs, doesn't do a whole lot, but as I turn back for base, I see two fighters pursuing. I manage to shoot both down, but the 17 I'm in gets chewed up. One elevator left, no ailerons, no flaps, leaking oil and fuel, and missing a few gunners.
I limp the whole formation back to base, and somehow manage to put all 3 B-17s back on the runway, sans ailerons and flaps, used my one elevator and the rudder to steer it in. Landed 2 kills and a few thousand damage in a B-17.  :banana:

Oh, and there was the time when I was spotting in a Storch and a P-47 came up hot behind me. Smacked into me, took out a little of my left wing, then the Jug proceeded to spin and smack into the ground. It credited the kill to whoever was dogfighting him, but I count that as a very weird Storch kill haha.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 08:58:20 AM by Tig »
Turn n' Burn!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 02:07:19 PM »
My most recent noteworthy white knuckle fights like you speak of were of MARK4 and Fugitive.

Ta 152 versus JugM and P-51D. Got Mark twice and Fugitive once in the same sortie. I was dancing on the envelope for whole minutes on the deck with that pig of an airplane. But, found its sweet spot and kept it there. Was 3 excellent fights that really opened my eyes to the 152's capabilities.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 04:25:00 PM »
My most recent noteworthy white knuckle fights like you speak of were of MARK4 and Fugitive.

Ta 152 versus JugM and P-51D. Got Mark twice and Fugitive once in the same sortie. I was dancing on the envelope for whole minutes on the deck with that pig of an airplane. But, found its sweet spot and kept it there. Was 3 excellent fights that really opened my eyes to the 152's capabilities.

Yes those were some fun fights. I remember "MOOT" was an animal in that 152, you were coming close to that.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 01:43:03 PM »
Not a white knuckle but one were I almost pee'd myself laughing. Two of us on our way to take down the VH and ammo at a base(this was quite a few years ago), Well just when we are starting our dive in he called on VOX saying that a mission was spawning in on the runway. We both changes our direction and dropped our eggs on the mission, I got 15 kills on that drop and he got about 8 or so. While we are pulling out we see them launching fighters to get us, we ran like little girls all the way back to our base. I think even the badguys thought it was funny.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 02:44:48 PM »
White knuckle fights were the norm back in the day. A nightly experience.

Laz, Apache and I flew Monday through Friday around 6pm pst

With the numbers there was always fur to be found.

A nice little CV/base fight with 20 or so on a side was the best. Get up to 2500 or so and dive in, come out the other side with your hair on fire.

The very best. Laz in a FM2, Apache in a yak and me in a spit 5.

One CV fight if I remember correctly Drex came along. While I had come out the other side and gaining some altitude, I watched him wade in at the bottom of all those planes low and slow in a P47. He did his normal Drex thing and came out the other side with four kills.

White knuckle EVERY night. Jeez that was fun.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 03:30:15 PM »
White knuckle fights were the norm back in the day. A nightly experience.

Laz, Apache and I flew Monday through Friday around 6pm pst

White knuckle EVERY night. Jeez that was fun.

The furballs of the late 90s were great.  It's how I got the handle 'decoy.'  Other Targets would be orbiting at each end of the riot and I'd fly through, dragging some unsuspecting enemy out where Elvene, Chumley, Beerbe (beerbelly), Kiwi, and even Mury would we waiting.  Then I'd fly back through and drag out another one.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 04:15:50 PM »
I was able to make 2 full blenders of margaritas before I had to drop my DTs.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
Wish I coulda been there in the "glory days"  :frown:

In other news, I actually have started being useful in 109s! Been practicing to fly with Kommando Nowotny over Dunkirk, and after many, MANY learning mistakes, I'm starting to rack up some kills.

Best one so far was tangling with a Nicky at high altitude, just happened in the middle of the MA actually. I'm cruising in a Bf 109K-4 to fly top cover at around 10K, and I spot a N1K in the clouds at around 12K altitude. Highest I've ever seen one. I get onto him, but him being a Nicky, doubles back before I can hit him.
So I force him to burn a bunch of energy as he spirals down, then go to Boom 'n Zoom. We end up in a vertical head-on of all things with me diving on him at around 400 MPH, and I manage to blow his right wing off with my 30mm hub cannon an instant before I would have collided with said wing. One Nicky bagged and tagged, and I head back and land.

Ahhh I love the MA, despite having to deal with the BT cheaters.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:20:02 PM by Tig »
Turn n' Burn!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 09:41:45 PM »
When knights decide they are all going to play in the dirt which along with taking empty bases make me having to explain what a fighter is, I go to rook and look for the BTs. They find, or have found the fight.

Lots of communication as a fight evolves. Fun stuff.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 08:46:50 AM »
I can still remember the Sunday morning when I won a 3v1 fight in Air Warrior -- sweaty palms and pounding heart.  Funny how a virtual experience can stay with you.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 09:07:27 AM »
Yes those were some fun fights. I remember "MOOT" was an animal in that 152, you were coming close to that.

Thank you, that is one hell of a compliment. But, I am no Sukov or moot, although I got pretty comfortable in that ugly beast for a month or so.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com