Author Topic: My patience is wearing thin  (Read 780 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
My patience is wearing thin
« on: June 30, 2022, 09:15:22 PM »
Only if you really know what you're talking about please.

I'm considering doing a bit of downsizing to the gaming rig I've got in mind and just upgrading over the coming year but I can't wait to get my VR going for AH etc. 

What do you guys that have VR experience consider the absolute minimum I should be looking at to enjoy the game again seamlessly? 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: My patience is wearing thin
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 05:56:13 AM »
Depends if you want to run only aceshigh with VR or if you want to future proof yourself for other games that might interest you.

For AH to be *seamless* I recommend at least:

modern 3.5ghz processor, more is better
32gb RAM minimum
install the game on something better than the low end HDDs
Nvidia 2060super GPU is very affordable now and I had great results for less demanding games like AH3 in VR with it. You can easily get something much better for not that much money.

you can probably set this up for $1000-$1200. Maybe cheaper if you know the industry.

compare that to my new rig that *sometimes* runs DCS in VR at a stable 72 hertz

ryzen9 3800x boosted to max (there are better cpus but you don't really need them)
64gb very fast RAM
Nvidia 3090

this setup is more around the $3000 range but boy it was worth the investment.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:59:06 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 06:19:25 AM »
My first setup was with an I7 and 1070 with a vive pro headset

It was enough for AH

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 08:57:04 PM »
Depends if you want to run only aceshigh with VR or if you want to future proof yourself for other games that might interest you.

For AH to be *seamless* I recommend at least:

modern 3.5ghz processor, more is better
32gb RAM minimum
install the game on something better than the low end HDDs
Nvidia 2060super GPU is very affordable now and I had great results for less demanding games like AH3 in VR with it. You can easily get something much better for not that much money.

you can probably set this up for $1000-$1200. Maybe cheaper if you know the industry.

compare that to my new rig that *sometimes* runs DCS in VR at a stable 72 hertz

ryzen9 3800x boosted to max (there are better cpus but you don't really need them)
64gb very fast RAM
Nvidia 3090

this setup is more around the $3000 range but boy it was worth the investment.

Hmmm... I'm going to be talking to DS tomorrow and was thinking in the range of $2100.  Now before yall jump on me and say 'just build it yourself' that's a solid 'nope' from me. Frankly I really don't have the time nor the patience to build it myself plus I like the warranty coverage and, so far, DS has been pretty legit as far as my dealings.   
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 09:09:11 PM »
It dosent take a lot to run AH on Quest. I have

An I7 3.5 (8 cpus) processor
24 MB ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 (6 GB memory)

I run the game with everything turned up without an issue. I have been running this system for over 10 years with only and upgrade to ram and a video card (it started with a GTX 650) to run the VR.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 06:44:13 AM »
Hmmm... I'm going to be talking to DS tomorrow and was thinking in the range of $2100.  Now before yall jump on me and say 'just build it yourself' that's a solid 'nope' from me. Frankly I really don't have the time nor the patience to build it myself plus I like the warranty coverage and, so far, DS has been pretty legit as far as my dealings.

totally agree with that, I've never built my own. There are so many companies that will do a perfect job for only a little bit more money than the components. I can go to work and earn the extra cash for the build faster than learn how to build it myself :D

For that money you could get something like this if you hunt around a bit

ryzen 9 3900x 12 core 3.8ghz
asus prime b550 plus motherboard
32gb corsair vengence 3200mhz RAM
12gb RTX 3080 GPU

this would kick the backside out of AH3 in VR and run almost all modern games flawlessly too.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:00:54 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 07:48:34 AM »

A squadmate in DCS who is a IT guy irl told me to call Dell. Best advice I've ever taken.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 08:40:23 PM »
It dosent take a lot to run AH on Quest. I have

An I7 3.5 (8 cpus) processor
24 MB ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 (6 GB memory)

I run the game with everything turned up without an issue. I have been running this system for over 10 years with only and upgrade to ram and a video card (it started with a GTX 650) to run the VR.

I've got my 'base' system inline with an eye towards upgrades over the next year.  Eventually I want 64 RAM and 20 TB internal.  Based on my budget for 2022 - 2023 that's easily doable too :) I just don't want to wait past Sept to get back in the game :)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 08:41:04 PM »

totally agree with that, I've never built my own. There are so many companies that will do a perfect job for only a little bit more money than the components. I can go to work and earn the extra cash for the build faster than learn how to build it myself :D

For that money you could get something like this if you hunt around a bit

ryzen 9 3900x 12 core 3.8ghz
asus prime b550 plus motherboard
32gb corsair vengence 3200mhz RAM
12gb RTX 3080 GPU

this would kick the backside out of AH3 in VR and run almost all modern games flawlessly too.

Looks good mech.... nice to see you by the way.  Hope all is well with you and yours :)