Author Topic: War in Ukraine: haven't we seen this movie before?  (Read 6437 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
War in Ukraine: haven't we seen this movie before?
« on: July 05, 2022, 02:11:01 PM »

The US government could have caused there to be no war in Ukraine.  Instead, it took actions that made it more likely to have war.

I disagree.  Russia has no real defensive geographical barriers.  There are something like 9 defensible geographical choke points that that the old Soviet Union had control of that they lost after the collapse.  They have regained control of all but 3 I think.  One is the Polish gap.  The others are in the Baltic region.  One in Romania I think.

Putin and other Russian hardliners see regaining control of the defensive points as an existential necessity to secure Russia's long-term safety.  He is willing to expend any amount of blood and treasure to see Russia secure these before he dies.  (Which he may see on his near horizon.)  He feels Russia has a higher ability to tolerate the casualties than the West and he feels he can grind them down with a conventional war and his nuclear deterrence is sufficient to prevent the West from going non-conventional.  He thinks Russia will win by virtue of a higher pain tolerance.

It's of course insanity, but Putin is a dying egomaniacal authoritarian dictator.  He has nothing to lose and has delusions of going down in Russia as a hero that restored Russian security for generations.  He is willing to spill as much blood as necessary to achieve his legacy.  We are in a 1937 moment.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: War in Ukraine: haven't we seen this movie before?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 04:01:08 PM »
I don't think Russia or anyone can afford the cost of a war of any size or length..which is what that would be without nukes

I think he would settle with what he has captured to date and be happy for another 10 years

I don't think there is getting any of it back...see Crimea

I think to sue for peace sooner than later is what should happen and will eventually regardless how long it is dragged out

If nukes are used it's a different animal and the longer it goes on the more the likelihood of that IMO.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 04:42:55 PM »
I think he would settle with what he has captured to date and be happy for another 10 years

So appeasement is the course of action you are recommending?

I think to sue for peace sooner than later is what should happen and will eventually regardless how long it is dragged out

If someone had invaded and captured a chunk of the US, would you recommend suing for peace to avoid any unpleasantness?

I don't think there is getting any of it back...see Crimea

And when he invaded Georgia there were those who said, "he'll be satisfied with that."

And when he invaded Crimea there were those who said, "he'll be satisfied with that."

And now he has invaded Ukraine and there are those who say, "he'll be satisfied with that."

Haven't we seen this movie before?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 04:44:41 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 06:02:35 PM »
Seem to recall we thought another of his type would be satisfied with the Sudetenland.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »
Seem to recall we thought another of his type would be satisfied with the Sudetenland.

I was just thinking that myself. heh
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:16:12 PM »
I was just thinking that myself. heh

40 million dead in WWII left us one lesson we should never forget:

Appeasement of aggression only encourages more aggression.  It never buys lasting peace, no matter how bad we want it.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »

Appeasement of aggression only encourages more aggression.  It never buys lasting peace, no matter how bad we want it.

Exactly.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 07:15:14 PM »

Who wants peace when we are literally creating biowdeapons that can "accidentally" be released on a population, funded by your tax dollars? And then blame the spread on a president whose running for re-election that very year after he helped multiple regions in the middle sign peace treaties. The irony.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:18:33 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:49:32 PM »
So it’s just printing $ and contributing to more inflation and making the economy worse  :bhead

Obviously, most of the elected don’t care.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:55:08 PM »
So it’s just printing $ and contributing to more inflation and making the economy worse  :bhead

Obviously, most of the elected don’t care.

And he has a Doctorate of Economics as well :rolleyes:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:59:36 PM »

Just think of Britain wasting all that money on building spitfires when they weren't even in a war yet!  Just making the economy worse!

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 04:17:27 AM »
Just think of Britain wasting all that money on building spitfires when they weren't even in a war yet!  Just making the economy worse!

:headscratch:

War was obviously inevitable with Germany.

If you agree with this proxy war, all I can say is the last several worked out so well, I guess it’s time for another.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 04:22:13 AM »

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,405301.270.html

Maybe you ought to follow along before you insult 🤷‍♂️.  Those were Trips and Eagler’s words about printing $   

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 06:02:36 AM »
Have you watched this movie :rofl

You people :rofl

No wonder Biden and Clinton think your clowns

War was not a for gone conclusion in the 1930’s

Origins of the 2nd world war AJP Taylor

I know you lot get annoyed about reading books but give it a try if only once

Obtaining a world view from films and wikidiot :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 06:20:36 AM »
So peace talks are out of the question?

How do you think you can defeat Russia without starting at least another Vietnam if not another Afghanistan?

Tough talk er mumbling from potato head does nothing

The longer talks are delayed the more Ukraine will lose imo

Weird how none of this was an issue from 2016 to 2020

Replace the 4am orange man mean tweeter with one senile corrupt bought and paid for career " big guy" and poof...the world goes to sheet in 18 months...

Something else to thank china and the very timely release of their bio weapon experiment which provided the perfect setup and cover for all of it.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals