Author Topic: Just Curious  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Just Curious
« on: July 06, 2022, 02:58:10 PM »
HiTech,

Is there a technical reason no new planes have been added in so long? For example, RAM, GPU limitation, max array size, buffer max reached etc. etc.?

Thanks,

X15  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
Re: Just Curious
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »
It's more like the Hitech Creations Team has shrunk over time, so Hitech is basically running a one-man show. Plus he has a life (imagine :rofl)

I wish there were some fresh planes too, but for now I'm amazed how well Hitech is keeping the game up and running as is.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 03:29:39 PM »
Bueler?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 08:57:27 PM »
The people at HTC that used to do this are all gone. Other then new skins, I would not expect to see anything new added ever again.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 09:07:33 PM »
The people at HTC that used to do this are all gone. Other then new skins, I would not expect to see anything new added ever again.

Agreed 100%. Hitech runs the server out of his home (search for pictures if you like because Hitech posted them), he is the only employee at HTC these days.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 12:05:13 AM »
Before my stroke I had learned to produce nice clean meshes, but now I am way too slow to be of much benefit. In order to use the program HiTech requires for the models he would have to provide it. Looking at the numbers I don't see how that expense could be supported. Plus, no one does that work for nothing.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
We have enough now in both planes and players ( over 100 most nights).. we just need maps to fit the lower numbers for enjoyable game play..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 11:32:32 AM »
$15 x #total_users is a good income, but if it's as low as 300 users it wouldn't pay my monthly expenses.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »
HiTech,

Is there a technical reason no new planes have been added in so long? For example, RAM, GPU limitation, max array size, buffer max reached etc. etc.?

Thanks,

X15  :salute

I suspect a lack of players.  If you had thousands clamoring to play and could fill A v A arenas with rolling planesets from 1938-1945?  You'd get some new iron. 

"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »
Agreed 100%. Hitech runs the server out of his home (search for pictures if you like because Hitech posted them), he is the only employee at HTC these days.

Do you think he would ever sell the game to a trusted vendor to keep the game growing or is he going to just let it fly off into the sunset?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »
Do you think he would ever sell the game to a trusted vendor to keep the game growing or is he going to just let it fly off into the sunset?

LOL!!! I dont know. I personally hope that he gets the mood and time to jump back in and build it back to the game it was.

Doing dirty math ($15 a month times number of players you believe still subscribe), he is still making a pretty good living as it goes now of the game, and we dont know what else he has his hands in. Financially it doesnt seem like he has to sell it, or pour money into it. What he does and when is as it always has been is totally up to him. I think its selfish of us wanting more for the game because we dont know what he has going on in his live, but as I said above, I hope he comes back and builds it all back up to 600 players in the arenas on Friday and Saturday nights.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 12:34:07 PM »
LOL!!! I dont know. I personally hope that he gets the mood and time to jump back in and build it back to the game it was.

Doing dirty math ($15 a month times number of players you believe still subscribe), he is still making a pretty good living as it goes now of the game, and we dont know what else he has his hands in. Financially it doesnt seem like he has to sell it, or pour money into it. What he does and when is as it always has been is totally up to him. I think its selfish of us wanting more for the game because we dont know what he has going on in his live, but as I said above, I hope he comes back and builds it all back up to 600 players in the arenas on Friday and Saturday nights.

Most MA players I've seen that I can remember is around 130. Multiplying that by 15, that's almost $2,000/month. Multiplied by 12, that's $24,000 a year. Yeah I'd say that's pretty decent for a "dying" game!
Turn n' Burn!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 01:06:22 PM »
Most MA players I've seen that I can remember is around 130. Multiplying that by 15, that's almost $2,000/month. Multiplied by 12, that's $24,000 a year. Yeah I'd say that's pretty decent for a "dying" game!

Your really low. If you look at the numbers of subscribers most of which dont fly at the time you do, Im thinking more along the lines of 600 still subscribed

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 01:11:12 PM »
Your really low. If you look at the numbers of subscribers most of which dont fly at the time you do, Im thinking more along the lines of 600 still subscribed

:bolt:
Wow, that is a lot. if there really are 600 that's over $100K a year for Dale, JEEZ.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »
:bolt:
Wow, that is a lot. if there really are 600 that's over $100K a year for Dale, JEEZ.

There are many who have accounts but only play FSO and scenarios, so you won't see them in the melee.

At any one time only a percentage of the melee players are going to be online at one time due to real life and times zones.

Only HT knows.  If I were placing a bet, I'd say between 500-1000 total active accounts.  SWAG..600'ish.

Taxes, bandwidth costs, he might still have investors he has to split revenue with...etc.

And the population is declining not growing as far as I can tell.  If by mortality rates for the average age of the remaining players if nothing else.  Not many online games have a constant stream of obituary threads.  That should tell you something about the demographics.

You might occasionally recycle a previous player until they get bored again.  You might get a few refugees as the remaining sorta competitors collapse.  I see no realistic possibility of the current game design\graphics\monetization model having a renewed population growth of new players.

I'm amazed he has kept it going this long.  However, the remaining players are here because of social bonds and not feature sensitive.   The price seems to be sustainable to who is already here, even if not attractive to new players. 

It will probably be milk-able for a while.  However given the age demographics and lack of new blood, at some point all those old farts will start dropping all at once as they all hit their expiration date simultaneously.  It won't be a linear decline.  That isn't going to happen tomorrow, but it's inevitable.

But it was certainly an impressive run.  A part of MMOG history.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.