Author Topic: A short video: B-17's Painted vs Unpainted  (Read 327 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
A short video: B-17's Painted vs Unpainted
« on: July 17, 2022, 11:57:42 PM »
Just stumbled onto this one and thought it neat.  :)

Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: A short video: B-17's Painted vs Unpainted
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 07:16:14 AM »
Would an unpainted bomber be easier to see sooner as the sun would glint more easily off it?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 07:58:20 AM »
Interesting that the painted bombers had so much better range and performance. It's not insignificant. For the same distance, the unpainted ones would have needed 80 gallons more fuel. 3-5 mph faster too.

It makes sense. The paint smooths over the rivets and filles in some of the panel lines.

I thought the paint would have weighed more though. I think they said it was only 75 pounds.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 04:54:28 PM »
Would an unpainted bomber be easier to see sooner as the sun would glint more easily off it?

Eagler

I recall him mentioned that the crews thought just that, easier to be spotted.  Whether there is any merit behind that, I'm not sure.  I'd suspect they were for the very reason you mentioned.

Interesting that the painted bombers had so much better range and performance. It's not insignificant. For the same distance, the unpainted ones would have needed 80 gallons more fuel. 3-5 mph faster too.

It makes sense. The paint smooths over the rivets and filles in some of the panel lines.

I thought the paint would have weighed more though. I think they said it was only 75 pounds.

Based off what I gathered in the video: They were saving time getting them out there by not painting them, but it was costing them in combat efficiency: fuel and maintenance (mentioned in the video that they had to run the engines a little harder to keep in formation with painted B-17's).  I also thought it would weigh more than 75lbs to have em fully painted.  I'm now curious how hitech has modeled the B-17.  Did you go based off the unpainted or painted numbers?  :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.