Author Topic: United States Navy kill markings?  (Read 655 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
United States Navy kill markings?
« on: July 18, 2022, 07:19:33 PM »
Hi all,

I wasn't sure if this would be best placed here or in the skins section (or even off topic) so apologies if it's in the wrong place, but I'd like to pick the brains of the history buffs around here, and it is an aircraft related question...

Over the past year or two I've gotten into scale modeling and am trying to put together an F6F-5 of VF-80 Vorse's Vipers.  LtCdr Vorse was credited with 11.5 kills during the war.  However, the plate I was able to find of his hellcat doesn't have any kill markings.  Going through my Osprey book on the fighter, I noticed that many hellcats lack any of these.  I have a few questions:

1. Am I likely just looking at a plate of earlier in his career, before he had kills, or was applying kill markings not a mandatory/timely thing in the USN towards the end of the war? 

2. I noticed that some of the plates for other aircraft have plates on either the port or starboard side, but of course with the Osprey books you're only getting one view of these, so I wasn't sure if they would in practice be applied to BOTH or just one side?  I always thought they just went on one but thought I'd double check.

3. I noticed that some of the plates have the half kill represented with a Japanese flag cut diagonally, while others were cut vertically.  I'm guessing that it was just whatever the crew chief decided at the time as two such examples, White 9 and White 10 of VF-27 each had one or the other despite being the same unit and the plates being from the same timeframe.  All the same, I thought I'd double check if there was some significance to either variation?

I know they're kind of specific questions but I'm trying to make this model special as it's the squadron that operated from USS Ticonderoga and that town is quite meaningful to me.  There aren't that many photos or plates to go by so I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks all,
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: United States Navy kill markings?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 08:43:35 PM »
Hey Vudak, long time buddy  <S>

One resource I use is the "Model Geeks" podcast group. 4 Navy guys big time into modeling. If they dont know the answer, they know who to ask. You can send them an email  at contact@modelgeekspodcast.com

good luck! and post pictures!!!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 08:53:15 PM »
Today's internet search for Vorse's F6F profile only pulled this up for me:

It leads me to believe that perhaps not all Hellcats sported kill markings toward the end of the war. But, if his did, I suspect either a 4 over 4 over 3 or a 5 over 5 over 1.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks guys :)

Fugi - I never heard of that group but I'll send them an email.

Arlo - Thank you - that's the plate I found.  There are a few photos as well (though I'm not sure of his aircraft specifically) but that's about all there is out there, as far as I can tell (though you never know who has what in a book somewhere).  Thanks!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 08:55:54 PM »
Were 'kill' marking place on both side of the a/c or only on side, that being the port side?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 09:05:01 PM »
"Kill flags: Although decoration, they were tolerated by the Navy as "morale boosters" and their appearance and size were even fixed. But since no one on board owned their own aircraft, personal kill markings made little sense. Photos showing a pilot in the aircraft with the corresponding number of launch flags were posed shots for the family album. Mostly the usual place for kill markings of any kind was on the "scoreboard" of the aircraft carrier island."

(VF-17, a shore based Navy Corsair squadron that had individually assigned planes, made extensive use of kill markings.)

http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN%20Markings%20II/USN%20Markings%20II.htm

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 01:34:12 PM »
Posted this one elsewhere. 

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
Policies changed over time. Even then there were exceptions.

Some instances might have involved a high victory count or rank.