Author Topic: Bouncy controls  (Read 676 times)

Offline Kumicho Oyabun

• Zinc Member
      • Gokudo Yakuza
Bouncy controls
« on: July 19, 2022, 06:47:40 PM »
Any tips for in game controller settings… what’s your best advice.  :salute

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Bouncy controls
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 09:03:53 PM »
There's no generic set up - for example I use a MS FFB2 stick and have always dealt with some bounciness, especially at slower speeds, which wrecks my gunnery.

Knowing which stick you are using might get you more helpful/specific advice from others who have the same.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Kumicho Oyabun

• Zinc Member
      • Gokudo Yakuza
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 09:23:15 PM »
I was setting up a curve for myself, move the stick see the response and get a feel for things & it got me thinking if there was any sort of preference within the community. I had to set my curve basically off of the feedback.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 01:15:37 AM »
Basically, if your stick movement is bouncy you should see it in the Advanced settings for each axis. A stable stick should keep the numbers static, a bouncy stick will more or less scroll the digits.

There's two possible reasons for stick bounciness: either the pots are spiking or the springs are so weak that any vibration (like a bypassing car or kids jumping in the yard) makes the stick move.

In any case start with a proper calibration to see if that helps. You can do it first in Windows and then in the game, the latter is more important but the former can help. If it's the pots, they can be cleaned (vigorous stirring may help in mild cases) or replaced but that requires some knowledge. In both cases you can add some Dead Band i.e. some slack before the movement gets registered. You can also add some Damping which smoothens sudden movements. When applying those use baby steps to keep the stick as sensitive as possible.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 06:12:23 AM »
Basically, if your stick movement is bouncy you should see it in the Advanced settings for each axis. A stable stick should keep the numbers static, a bouncy stick will more or less scroll the digits.

There's two possible reasons for stick bounciness: either the pots are spiking or the springs are so weak that any vibration (like a bypassing car or kids jumping in the yard) makes the stick move.

In any case start with a proper calibration to see if that helps. You can do it first in Windows and then in the game, the latter is more important but the former can help. If it's the pots, they can be cleaned (vigorous stirring may help in mild cases) or replaced but that requires some knowledge. In both cases you can add some Dead Band i.e. some slack before the movement gets registered. You can also add some Damping which smoothens sudden movements. When applying those use baby steps to keep the stick as sensitive as possible.

Good assessment and what I would have suggested, I have a very slight curve in pitch and all sliders at top for roll. Rudder has a slight curve as well and some deadpan to find Center easier.

<S>

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 07:47:17 AM »
Go into the Windows settings for the controller and calibrate it.  In that same section where you calibrate the joystick, there is also a place where you can see the inputs from the joystick.  Move the joystick around smoothly.  The joystick indicator should also move smoothly.  If the indicator jerks or jumps, it can indicate a problem with the joystick itself.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com