Author Topic: Graphics Card Upgrade  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Graphics Card Upgrade
« on: July 22, 2022, 02:18:03 PM »
My current rig has a 1070 card and I7.  I’m looking for card upgrade ideas to accommodate a future HP Reverb G2 running at full up resolution.  The G2 lists a 1080 card as the recommended minimum.  I’d prefer something above that to enable running all of the AH graphics settings maxed out, as I do now.

I don’t know what I don’t know about the newer 1,2,& 3000 series cards (except for pricey) and would appreciate some expert advice and recommendations.

Thanks in advance!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Graphics Card Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 03:35:24 PM »
I've seen the 3080 cards below suggested retail finally.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 04:31:43 PM »

About time!

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 05:28:02 PM »
I was flying AH with a Reverb G2 with everything on using a 2070 card.  Outside of AH you will need a 3080 or better to turn on all the eye candy.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 05:44:16 PM »
3090 with 128GB of memory
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 06:09:59 AM »
I went from an I7 amd 1070 to an I9 and 2070 after a couple of years using a vive pro

I grabbed a 3070ti earlier this year when one became available

The 2070 ran AH fine, the 3070 was for improving il2 and dcs performance

...I just checked..prices have dropped..a 3080 is cheaper than what I paid for a 3070ti but they are still very expensive imo :)

Eagler
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 06:12:34 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
Thanks for the ideas gents.  Is there a source that consistently has lower prices?   :salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 09:35:32 AM »
I watch Amazon since the vendors there compete with each other.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »
You can find 12GB 3080's for $799 right now. Less for the 10GB models. I just got a strix 12GB 3080 to better push my G2. Was as close to what it should have cost in the first place so I grabbed it while I could and have finally completed my build from March of 2020. Been watching them for a while. Word is they actually have stopped making the 12GB model so they'll become scarce.

I know the 40 series is due out on the fall but I figure they'll become unobtainable just like the 30's did and the 20's before them. There's that and while the leaked specs look great it also seems like I could heat my house with one. 400-600 watts is just crazy! Would need another PSU too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »

Yeah he's funny. Being abusive and abrasive. Against the forum rules probably every other post he makes and you think he's funny. You're somebody who apparently officially represents aces high in some capacity with that title of yours. You may not be employed by them but I would think that somebody with an ace is high trainer banner flying in their title would be the first person to admonish the kind of posting that Zack does.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 04:40:24 PM »
Yeah he's funny. Being abusive and abrasive. Against the forum rules probably every other post he makes and you think he's funny. You're somebody who apparently officially represents aces high in some capacity with that title of yours. You may not be employed by them but I would think that somebody with an ace is high trainer banner flying in their title would be the first person to admonish the kind of posting that Zack does.

And what does any of this have to do with Graphics cards?

Time to grow up GG

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2022, 09:32:23 PM »

Since you brought it up, it seems to me that you do everything you want to cancel other people for. If you don't enjoy Zach don't engage with him. If you did what you want other people to do everything would be fine. So maybe try that.

Now back to video cards.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 10:31:46 PM »
And what does any of this have to do with Graphics cards?

Time to grow up GG

I replied to the wrong comment and thread. I don't even know how that happened.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 10:42:31 PM »
Since you brought it up, it seems to me that you do everything you want to cancel other people for. If you don't enjoy Zach don't engage with him. If you did what you want other people to do everything would be fine. So maybe try that.

Now back to video cards.

You can look at all of my posts. Why don't you try to find one were I am abusive of anyone or calling anyone names?

Why don't YOU mind your own business?

I do not engage Zack, he engages me. I post normal things that interest me and I contribute. I do not hound or harass anyone. Zack does - every post. And you think it's funny. I do none of those things and you're telling me that I'm the problem.

I apologize for posting in the wrong thread.

Why don't you just refrain from sticking your nose in my business? Maybe try that. You said something to me and I responded - otherwise I doubt you would have heard from me.