Author Topic: controls unmapped  (Read 2723 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
controls unmapped
« on: July 29, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »
All my controllers were unmapped out of the blue just a moment ago.

Is there a way to recover my controller maps?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: controls unmapped
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 02:58:18 PM »
There is, if you have saved a copy of your Settings folder.

Another, yet not at all guaranteed, is to go to the AH folder and see if your Settings folder has the mappings intact. In that case simply shutdown Windows by keeping the Shift button pressed while clicking Shutdown. Doesn't do any harm to try that first as well as it may clean other potentially corrupted settings.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 04:53:11 PM »
 :aok thanks
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 05:51:32 PM »
Dolby I've had this happen randomly while I was playing the game! I think it's related to the DX11 stutter. I get a stutter and some or all of my mapping will just disappear. It graduated from just the pause to the pause and messing up my throttle and rpm axii to removing ALL of my mapping for everything back to... Lately... just messing with throttle and rpm. Have no explanation.

I've backed up everything from a known working set of settings to a zip that I just un-zip back to the settings folder but while it puts all the associations back I'll still have to calibrate.

This is beyond annoying and happens multiple times a session. The worst part... It only happens in AH. I can't replicate it in any other game or test program.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 07:29:31 AM »
One reason I haven't been flying lately is exactly this. Almost every time I log in, my settings are somehow messed up. Sometimes throttle and stick have changed places, sometimes buttons  have done that. Really annoying. If I ever get them properly back, will make several backups. And also in my case, it happens only in AH, not in other sims I have in my mill.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 02:07:13 PM »
One reason I haven't been flying lately is exactly this. Almost every time I log in, my settings are somehow messed up. Sometimes throttle and stick have changed places, sometimes buttons  have done that. Really annoying. If I ever get them properly back, will make several backups. And also in my case, it happens only in AH, not in other sims I have in my mill.

And again...    :mad:  Spent some time programming buttons. Had a break, came back and voila... Almost every button had again different function, some had several! Some positions, like bomb sight, get jammed on, cannot jump away from it w/o exiting. I will be pretty soon done with AH if this is the case every time I try to fly.    :angry:
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 02:58:55 PM »
Be sure to save your changes. Copy mode 1 to mode 2,3,and 4 and you can modify the other modes to increase your virtual buttons.

It's not normal to lose mapping. I think it mostly happens with a USB ID change but as mentioned there seems to be another mystery reason.  Make sure your USB ports don't power off when idle.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 04:23:03 AM »
Be sure to save your changes. Copy mode 1 to mode 2,3,and 4 and you can modify the other modes to increase your virtual buttons.

It's not normal to lose mapping. I think it mostly happens with a USB ID change but as mentioned there seems to be another mystery reason.  Make sure your USB ports don't power off when idle.[/U]

This and search for my thread in the Tech support forum... hitech and I spent a bit of time tracking this issue down....

Hope this helps

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 02:34:24 PM »
TC I tried all that and spoke with HT on the phone myself. Followed up with a more detailed email. It's a mystery. Still seems to me to be tied to that little DX11 burp. Says he's never ironed that out either. It's still happening at about the same rate but at least most recently it's back to just disabling the throttle and rpm axii, putting them to about half. I just move them again and they're back. It started off like this, then graduated to erasing things and now back. No idea what caused either.  If it stays like it is now, annoying as it is,, it beats having to replace all the files to get stuff back---in the middle of a FSO frame--like 5 times! :rolleyes: It sucks but I can live with it.

Since I can't seem to replicate this in any other game or test program I'll assume it's something AH related. Can't accurately say I can replicate it here---it's just AH is the only place it happens. :headscratch:
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 07:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the update Drano, I  was unaware of that...just  dealing with real life stuff
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »
I tend to lose only one calibration on my MS FFB2 stick occasionally - the trim forces for roll axis.  It will just lose all return to centering force for that one axis. Relogging and re-calibrating from in game resolves it.

It happens randomly maybe once a week or so.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 10:59:48 AM »
This is different. Happens at random intervals multiple times per flying session. But... Only in AH. Never get anything that shows in events viewer or disco in usbdeview. Once recently it happened I heard the disco sound and was like aha! Gotcha! Nope. Was just my G2 controller going to sleep. Dangit! I'd think if I had a hardware issue it'd show up in other programs. That doesn't happen and I've tried to duplicate this for hours at a time! Stick test program will just flat line and be perfect as long as I want to watch it--and I've done that too!

I've tried plugging into different ports. Always used powered hubs for my controllers, BTW. Tried plugging THEM into different ports. Tried a different powered hub. Separated these to different hubs. Tried plugging throttle in directly. Make sure all the USB power saving settings and selective suspend are off. Regularly! Windows updates like to set them back I've found. Uninstalled AH. Re-installed. Clean installed. Installed to a different drive. Nuclear option re-installed windows and clean installed again. I've switched VR from Oculus (RiftS) to WMR/SteamVR (G2). The problem persists. I'm out of ideas. It's just annoying as hell. Just this one program.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 05:22:21 PM »
I lost my mapping also about 2 weeks ago when I went from the malee arena into a custom arena.  Just out of the blue.  I was running DX9 exe.  I was building a new computer anyways with a new stick soooo my old machine still has settings a bit messed up.  I'm running DX11 exe of the game now with no stutters and great frame rates.  I'm not using VR.  I think my unmapping might have come from the usb connection being disrupted while the computer was on (shrugs).

One-eye
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 06:10:43 PM by 1ijac »
"One-Eye"

Offline Worid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 01:27:48 PM »
OK I have noticed the same!.... BUT!!!!
I have found so far that every time that its happened is because I switched to a different USB input I have 1 old style USBA-V2, 2 USBA V3 and USBC. I stopped moving the input around and its apparently stopped.

Try using the same input every time and see what happens.

As Dale and Roy like to say "Please solve your own problems" something I taken to heart since AH1.

By the way Dale, Roy and the rest of the old timers. It's good to be back. SALUTE!!!!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2022, 05:07:33 AM »
OK I have noticed the same!.... BUT!!!!
I have found so far that every time that its happened is because I switched to a different USB input I have 1 old style USBA-V2, 2 USBA V3 and USBC. I stopped moving the input around and its apparently stopped.

Try using the same input every time and see what happens.

As Dale and Roy like to say "Please solve your own problems" something I taken to heart since AH1.

By the way Dale, Roy and the rest of the old timers. It's good to be back. SALUTE!!!!

I personally do not change USB ports willy-nilly to invite such issues, also my USB ports are all identical.

I've solved one problem though, I'll be sure to ignore your condescending suggestions made direct from ill-informed assumptions from now on.

Welcome back "old timer", glad to see the snotty nosed kid never grew out of you.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho