Author Topic: CenturyLink DSL  (Read 749 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
CenturyLink DSL
« on: August 11, 2022, 05:01:42 AM »
We’ve had a decent monsoon season so far, but only 3 tremendous storms.

On 7/29 evening at my residence we had variable 20-50mph wind and approximately 3/4” of rain over about 3 hours, most falling during a 45min period. That knocked the internet out for 3 days and CenturyLink didn’t even have their website updated to show an outage until about 7hours later. Using my phone’s hotspot I used the chat to get an agent finally to confirm it was a widespread outage that they were “working on it”. Back on 3 days later.

On 8/3 the internet went down again, no storm though and the agents wouldn’t say why, just another outage for 1.5days and widespread throughout the valley.

On 8/8 we got another pretty good monsoon that knocked it down again for ~1day.

During my efforts to resolve things on my own (each time modem needed the power off/on) I wasn’t able to reach an agent to speak with as the “repair/tech support” # said it was transferring me to an agent and then would hang up on me. I had to go through my hotspot and use their online chat each time to converse…one of the agents cancelled the chat with me when I asked about why this problem persists every monsoon season (6 summers in this home) and explained this has happened a lot and I haven’t seen any of their work trucks at the locations where I have in the past.

The only thing they have offered is to refund 5 days of service. I haven’t asked for anything more yet, which brings me to the question of would you ask for more given the longstanding persistence of this problem? We get monsoons every year to varying degrees of intensity. At the end of each chat informing me of an outage it always said “our technicians are working diligently to fix…”.  Wouldn’t diligently be fixing it semi-permanently one of these years?

Obviously I’m not a DSL field technician and don’t know all the ins and outs, so forgive my ignorance but it’s very frustrating for our household. Many more storms expected through August this season…

Sorry for the long winded post. 
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: CenturyLink DSL
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 05:15:53 AM »
Just FYI switching to cable (Cox) not really an option at this point, they’ll have to tear up the street to run their lines to our house they have told us and also contemplating selling/moving.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 06:07:28 AM »
Have you looked at Starlink?

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 07:50:24 AM »
First of all - I really miss those monsoon storms. A lot.

Second, I never had one issue with COX when I had it there. Cable is a lot faster and more reliable than DSL.

DSL runs on standard phone lines. They are a lot more susceptible to interference and outrages.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 08:06:54 AM »
Cable systems are either hybrid coax/fiber or fiber to the home these days..any real cable tv system anyways..

They are much more reliable than the pure coaxial systems of the 70's 80's and early 90's..

Those old coax systems provided unlimited overtime keeping them going with daily summer storms...I  did it from 83 to 94 after the mds gig

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 08:34:32 AM »
You might want to check your DSL line boxes or phone lines to make sure they're not getting wet. That happened to me before when I had DSL out here for awhile
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 09:31:38 AM »
I have dealt with Century Link's terrible service for more than 15 years. In 2015, I was finally able to ditch them in favor of a local wi-max internet outfit that services my rural area in eastern Oregon. Century Link had nearly monopolized their service, and finding a local company was just out of pure luck.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 09:10:23 PM »
Have you looked at Starlink?

No I haven’t yet. I remember the thread about it awhile back, thank you for reminding of them.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 09:18:20 PM »
First of all - I really miss those monsoon storms. A lot.

Second, I never had one issue with COX when I had it there. Cable is a lot faster and more reliable than DSL.

DSL runs on standard phone lines. They are a lot more susceptible to interference and outrages.

I’ve always loved the monsoons. They are the most spectacular storms to witness without putting your life in peril nearly as much as a hurricane…

We still have a landline that’s also with CenturyLink.

I’ve had Cox cable in other homes and much fewer interruptions of service than CL. It is more expensive, and used to be considerably more, but our CL is getting up there now too, which is irritating with these outages that their customer service is so poor.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 09:26:24 PM »
I have dealt with Century Link's terrible service for more than 15 years. In 2015, I was finally able to ditch them in favor of a local wi-max internet outfit that services my rural area in eastern Oregon. Century Link had nearly monopolized their service, and finding a local company was just out of pure luck.

DirectTV and CenturyLink have a “bundle” package here, which for awhile has been a better deal than our cable provider but at this point not so happy with them…

When their customer service hangs up on you or ends the chat because you said you’re tired of hearing the same boilerplate answer of “our technicians our diligently working on it” and you ask for more of an explanation, that says a lot about their company imo.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »
If you have issues with service and monsoons - extremely heavy rain- I don't think satellite service is the answer

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
If you have issues with service and monsoons - extremely heavy rain- I don't think satellite service is the answer

Eagler

I don't think monsoons for them are that heavy. They would be considered a shower here in East Texas.  :aok

There though..  it is a lot of rain.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 07:42:52 AM »
Satellite dishes wouldnt be subject to rain fade if the dish was larger to have a larger capture area, but instead they opt to have the bare minimum in capture area so that on a nice sunny day it will work fine, but with rain its done. and thats if the installer properly peaked the dish. Bump it just a tiny bit, oops its gone.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 07:26:41 AM »
Starlink is $110/month and $599 one time equipment cost.

I’d say pretty good deal for rural locations with few or no other options. I think I’ll have to look into the local fiber companies (of which I came across several in a quick search).