Author Topic: You can host a room & play the MA at the same time  (Read 988 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
You can host a room & play the MA at the same time
« on: March 05, 2022, 09:36:21 AM »
I'm hosting a persistent H2H room to promote the game to new players. It continues to grow a following after 90 days but it didn't happen right away.

At the same time, I occasionally go into the MA to see what's going on and maybe fly a few sorties as well as running Tank Night in the AvA on rare occasions.

So, you can do both.

I built a custom terrain to do this so people can find each other. Two terrains actually, but the download for the winter terrset took too long for most people. Even my "regulars" disappeared until I put the summer version back in.

Consider this a public announcement for those who've thought about doing something like this to help the game.

:salute
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: You can host a room & play the MA at the same time
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »
How long can the arena be up with 0 players, like when your in the MA?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
I have "hosted" many player created arenas over several years and rarely see others joining.

As far as leaving a player created arena...if there are no players for 5 or maybe 10 mins. It disappears.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply sir.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 05:54:57 PM »
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

I initialize my H2H room on my laptop (almost any old PC or Laptop will work even w/o a graphics card) and leave it running 24/7.

Then when I want to play in the MA, AvA or SEA, I use my main PC, launch AH and join whichever arena I want. No issue.

Except if I want to join my H2H room using my good equipment, I must exit the laptop version, as AH won't let you log into an arena twice with the same account. Then you can join your room and afterward, switch and join with your laptop again to keep it running.

I'm up to about 4 regular players after 90 days and probably 30 or 40 unique IDs crossing my roster from time to time. It's all about consistency!
If my European players didn't see a H2H room up every time they look, they'll quit looking so...

Around the first of each month, MS or AH, whatever, will try to update and shuts the room down. It's not without maintenance requirements but for most of the month it's stable.

Of course, if you expect people to like an MA or special events map for H2H with only 2 or 3 other players you probably shouldn't bother.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 06:01:59 PM »
Twenty years ago, Pokie and a couple of other guys were building 3 field H2H maps. You'd see several people hosting them every night.

They provided an on ramp for players to gain enough skill to risk their $15 bucks in the MA.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 07:02:48 PM »
Got it Easyscor, I was pondering that option my self.  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76