Author Topic: Good Lord has there never been a better time to build?  (Read 927 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Good Lord has there never been a better time to build?
« on: August 19, 2022, 01:02:37 PM »
I built a new PC about 3 months ago because I finally got an email from eVGA saying I could buy a graphics card direct from them at list price.  I'd been waiting on their list almost a year.   But if I price out just my major components now (CPU, mobo, graphics card), its about $500 less than it was.  $500!

Look at this madness, at MicroCenter:

Plus, graphics cards are now selling BELOW retail.   This is just a great time to build a gaming PC, guys.   

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:32:47 PM by oboe »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Good Lord has there never been a better time to build?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 01:31:13 PM »
Vcard prices stated going down just after my 3070ti purchase from evga after getting their email....

That's my luck :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 09:42:20 AM »
The 4000 series will be out soon.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 11:49:40 AM »
True. I got a 3080 a couple of weeks ago. I'd say if AH is all you're going to do then don't bother with the 4000 series. Save your money as they're expensive enough. This card never breaks a sweat with AH even in VR max'd out. Other sims like IL-2, DCS and MSFS? Oh yeah definitely can use all the horsepower you can get.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline BAD1051

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 08:26:56 PM »
Man...I love the Micro Center by my house (Fairfax, VA)  I have bought my PC's from there for the last 15-20 years.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 01:45:27 PM »
Me too bad....I needed a new rig.  I walked through the center with a sales guy and selected all my components (kinda got carried away lol) and they put it all together that day.  I usually go for the top components so it will last me for another 10 years (hopefully).  I can always swap out a graphics card. 

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 06:45:47 PM »
Which GPU are you using and what's the cost?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 10:26:34 PM »
Personally I feel that the Nvidia cards are still over priced, with the AMD cards coming in a little closer to reasonable but still more expensive than they really should be.

That being said I did build a new system a few months back and it would cost about the same to build now as it did then, even though the gpu I purchased is about $70 cheaper now, the cost of other components has gone up.

I went with a 6700xt because it was available at msrp at the time, and is now well bellow that. For me the 6700 works great I have no issues in game with all the eye candy turned up max on a 1440p 165Hz monitor.

I still keep an eye on the gpu prices and if I saw a killer deal on something like a 3080 I would snatch it up, but it would have to be a really great deal.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 09:27:53 AM »
  This is just a great time to build a gaming PC, guys.

I disagree. It still sucks, just not as much as one year ago. GPU prices in general are still through the roof in my opinion. I always used to buy 'entry level' cards, which did cost me something between 100-160€. Only a few years ago, the GTX 1050 was put on the market for 125€, the 1050Ti for 155€, a GTX 1060 sold for about 210€. A generation later, the GTX 1650 had an SRP of 170€

These days, the entry level RTX 3050 starts at 300€, with an SRP of 279€.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman