Author Topic: All Threads Should Be Locked By Default  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: All Threads Should Be Locked By Default
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2022, 01:17:06 PM »
Discussing current events is fun.

Those are the topics that are active and full of participation.

These days, 90% of everything is politics.  If you can't talk about politics, you can't talk about: world events, national events, local events, education, medicine, economics, markets, jobs, entertainment, business practices, Twitter, Facebook, media, housing, electric cars, weather, philosophy, manufacturing, mining, food production, military, infrastructure, finance, inflation.

What's left is chirping crickets.

Maybe we can get a private forum, which you have to be admitted to, where we can talk about stuff.  Folks are only there if they requested access.  Where we can talk about interesting things with our AH pals.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2022, 01:20:11 PM »
I never implied or said  that you need a safe space, Semp. I'm only saying that you came here and said you can't discuss things on ICOM and I relied that you that nothing is stopping you from posting on ICOM. People may not agree with you but nothing will stop you from saying anything you want.

I'm not surer what you mean by me doing something wrong. So let me know what you mean.

By the way, I reminded everyone at ICOM that I will not allow personal attacks.
You can talk about anything and never be moderated.

I rarely ever have moderated anything. People on my forums pretty much self moderate.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2022, 01:23:21 PM »
Discussing current events is fun.

Those are the topics that are active and full of participation.

These days, 90% of everything is politics.  If you can't talk about politics, you can't talk about: world events, national events, local events, education, medicine, economics, markets, jobs, entertainment, business practices, Twitter, Facebook, media, housing, electric cars, weather, philosophy, manufacturing, mining, food production, military, infrastructure, finance, inflation.

What's left is chirping crickets.

Maybe we can get a private forum, which you have to be admitted to, where we can talk about stuff.  Folks are only there if they requested access.  Where we can talk about interesting things with our AH pals.

I agree completely.

Private forum that you have to request access to. Let everyone discuss what they want there. If they don't like it they can leave that forum and have fun with the crickets over here. Why not?

Brooke, not sure if you ever were a member of FW or ICOM - but lots of AH people there.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2022, 02:32:32 PM »
I assume it's Dale but I think he's not looking too close at any of it. I'm guessing that someone reports something and it just gets shut down. Could be wrong.

That's why I say that this forum should have an active moderator. One that is listed as a moderator and that people can actually contact and get an answer from. Dale probably has no time or interest in doing that himself - but I'm sure he could find a trustworthy volunteer.

I think subjects should be able to be discussed and people should be allowed to state their views. Just no personal attacks, no spamming. If someone really is being disruptive, they can be warned and delt with.

Moderation needs to be consistent and unbiased. The way is it now is it's just extremally inconstant. You never really know what is being allowed or not. Sometimes weeks go by and there's no moderation, then suddenly there's moderation of very minor things.

Is that why you're considering an investment in scotch?  :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2022, 02:36:48 PM »

Actually, you can. Well most rational people can, Brooke. It was even proven here.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »
The only thing proven here is that mylo will only be happy when it's just him and the other minions looking at each other.

#pulltheplug

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2022, 03:03:53 PM »
ex·ag·ger·a·tion
/iɡˌzajəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
a statement that represents something as better or worse than it really is.
"it would be an exaggeration to say I had morning sickness, but I did feel queasy"

the action of making statements that represent something as better or worse than it really is.
"he was prone to exaggeration"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »
Actually, you can. Well most rational people can, Brooke. It was even proven here.

I see most discussions of anything current getting shut down.  Yes, things get a boisterous, and that is partially why.

But you can't have such discussions without that occurring somewhat.

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
I see most discussions of anything current getting shut down.  Yes, things get a boisterous, and that is partially why.

Lively discussions are cute and fund.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2022, 03:48:54 PM »

Yes, you can. You were a fine example of being reasonable. I can't understand you defending the rabble rousers. They seem to like to make a point of militantly politicizing every topic then palying innocent then blaming others. C'mon Brooke. You know better. I've known you on this forum for years and you never resorted to such.  :)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2022, 03:54:40 PM »
limit the forum to paying customers.

say goodbye to the freeloaders.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2022, 04:13:46 PM »
I can't understand you defending the rabble rousers.

I mean that is an inevitable part of discussions of current events.

There are three ways to deal with it:
-- Don't allow political discussions, or allow a little, but lock it as soon as there are abrasive posts.  (What is done here.)
-- Allow political discussions, but monitor and delete any posts that get too abrasive.  (Too manpower intensive.)
-- Have a private forum where topics are allowed to proceed. (Could be done.  I'd like better than option 1.)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »
But -- I understand that HT doesn't want to be dealing with hassles and problems related to message board discussions.

And the easiest is just to preclude stuff.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
I mean that is an inevitable part of discussions of current events.

There are three ways to deal with it:
-- Have a private forum where topics are allowed to proceed. (Could be done.  I'd like better than option 1.)

Well, someone here is practically begging members to go to ICOM. That is, essentially, that.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2022, 04:18:42 PM »
I don't see any of the locked threads as anything that should have been locked. Nothing harmful was going on in probably all of them. Unless you're Arlo or some of these others.

oh no! someone said "communist" or  some other harmless thing

rediculous