Author Topic: Stolen King Air  (Read 1147 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Stolen King Air
« on: September 06, 2022, 06:06:00 PM »
I am sure most of you have read about the King Air that was stolen in Mississippi. The pilot has no license and has had "some flight instruction." I suppose it is still fairly unknown as to what extent. This reminded me of the stolen Dash 8 from a few years ago. As a licensed pilot, I find it impressive that the guy could get in, take off, fly around a bit, and land without killing himself. I am confident in my ability to do it, too, with a lot of time. But, it would take me forever to get it started as I have no turbo or multi training. I'd have to meticulously fly a checklist or fly countless hours on the sim to pull that off. Needless to say, I am sure the guy has some King Air time in a sim. Hell, even a glass cockpit is overwhelming the first time you operate one.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Stolen King Air
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 06:52:52 PM »

He's been fueling that plane for years.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 07:42:37 PM »
He's been fueling that plane for years.

Sure. But I watch sailboats sail almost every day, doesn't mean I can hop on and move. Just find it impressive with no formal training in a King Air or multi-engine of any kind.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 07:45:50 PM »
Maybe those things are just especially easy to fly.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 07:51:53 PM »

Nope, they are kind of advanced  :headscratch:
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »

In the movie 'American Made' Tom Cruise flew a Piper Aerostar 600.  That plane looks like the King Air.
I doubt it's very difficult to fly at all.  :airplane:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »
In the movie 'American Made' Tom Cruise flew a Piper Aerostar 600.  That plane looks like the King Air.

Coogan

Aerostar is so cool, would love to sit right seat some time.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 08:03:55 PM »
Sure. But I watch sailboats sail almost every day, doesn't mean I can hop on and move. Just find it impressive with no formal training in a King Air or multi-engine of any kind.

Install DCS, pick a plane, any plane at all, then watch a couple videos from say the Grim Reapers, startup, taxi, takeoff, landing...make your own checklist. I bet it doesn't take long at all to get proficient enough to do those things in the real thing.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 08:11:32 PM »
Install DCS, pick a plane, any plane at all, then watch a couple videos from say the Grim Reapers, startup, taxi, takeoff, landing...make your own checklist. I bet it doesn't take long at all to get proficient enough to do those things in the real thing.

I agree. With enough hours in a King Air C90 in MSFS, I am sure I could be comfortable enough to hop in one and go through the checklist. It is still impressive, no matter how you slice it.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 08:12:12 PM »
Patterson worked at the Tupelo airport fueling planes as a lineman.

He has worked at the airport for ten years, according to Fox News.

Tupelo Police Chief John Quaka stated in a press conference he "has some flight instruction, but we do not believe he is a licensed pilot."

He worked as a lineboy for the FBO that owned the aircraft if the reporting is correct. The checklist was in the aircraft or at least it is supposed to be in the aircraft.

In 10 years he probably DID get some flight instruction; it's not uncommon for lineboys to swap work for instruction. He may well have gone on flights in that aircraft right seat as rewards from the boss.

It would not surprise me a bit that he could use a checklist to start it up and with >some< flight instruction under his belt get it in the air. Clearly didn't figure out that landing thing though. Although it was apparently a suicide attempt at the beginning.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 08:14:55 PM »
He worked as a lineboy for the FBO that owned the aircraft if the reporting is correct. The checklist was in the aircraft or at least it is supposed to be in the aircraft.

In 10 years he probably DID get some flight instruction; it's not uncommon for lineboys to swap work for instruction. He may well have gone on flights in that aircraft right seat as rewards from the boss.

It would not surprise me a bit that he could use a checklist to start it up and with >some< flight instruction under his belt get it in the air. Clearly didn't figure out that landing thing though. Although it was apparently a suicide attempt at the beginning.

Yea, it still isn't certain how much time he had. Obviously, he is not logging right seat in a King Air if he doesn't have a PPL. No way of knowing without asking around the airport and friends. Our linemen have some training, too, which is paid for by the company just to familiarize them with aviation. Like I said, with a checklist and enough repetition on a sim or in right seat, it is possible.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 08:28:31 PM »
I think a decade as a lineboy and some lessons probably gave him enough experience to fire it up, taxi and takeoff. It's not rocket surgery.

Sitting in the right seat even as a pax is a learning experience for those who want to learn. Monkey see, monkey do with a checklist to back it up. You don't have to log time to learn something.

If he sat in it enough to find the switches and can read at an 8th grade level he could probably get it running.

Engine Start (Battery)
R ign/start:............................. ............................O n
R IGN ON:............................. ...Check illuminated
Stable N1 > 12%:............................. ...............Wait
R condition lever:............................. ....... Low idle
ITT and N1:..Monitor (1090°C max., rise in 10 s)
R oil pressure:............. Check (prop unfeathering)
R condition lever:............................. ...... High idle
Wait:............................. ...........................N1 > 51%
R ign/start:............................. ...........................Of f
R generator:............................. ...............Reset, On
Charge battery:.............. Load < 0,5, max. 5 min.
(R generator: ............................. ......................Off)
L ign/start: ............................. ............................O n
L IGN ON: ............................. ...Check illuminated
Stable N1 > 12%:............................. ...............Wait
(R generator: ............................. ...................... On)
L condition lever:............................. ....... Low idle
ITT and N1:..Monitor (1090°C max., rise in 10 s)
L oil pressure:............................. ................. Check
Wait:............................. ...........................N1 > 51%
L ign/start: ............................. ...........................Of f
L generator:............................. ...............Reset, On
R condition lever:............................. ....... Low idle
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 08:32:57 PM »

Coogan
Dude owns and flies a P-51, has a multi-engine commercial rating too
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 09:26:09 PM »
I agree with Toad. In a short search a found a youtube video providing a full cockpit preparation video for a B737NG including the FMS prep.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 09:29:53 PM »

Coogan

No airplane is difficult to fly. They just become mildly more interesting when parts fail and they try to bite you.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.